How does your garden grow?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Strawberry plants are filling with fruit in the two patches out back and I planted two blueberry and raspberry bush pots around the patch in the back. Look like dead twigs to me(i may have been had:o)

Planted five different tomatoes along the house to protect them from frost, and did get a couple of herb plants to put in near the kitchen window.

We (little-one and I) had turned the garden with a shovel last week and are now removing all the larger weed roots(what is that stuff with the white spaghetti roots running everywhere underground this year?) In a couple of hours it should be ready for the tiller and then I'm planting!

I'd love to hear what everyone has planned in case I can steal a few ideas.:p:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I've been eating home grown Tomatoes for months. I have had this same plant producing tomatoes for a couple of years now.. Yeah!!

Your tomatoes shouldn't be in full sun all day.

If your kitchen window gets full sun - your herbs may burn since the window will magnify.

Good Luck - Nothing better than home grown..:wah:

Patsy
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

mine was getting too nuch sun. i keep mine in 5 gallon buckets. so i can move them. with the HOT La. sun. i feel it is the best for me:-6:-6
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

flopstock;1310450 wrote: We (little-one and I) had turned the garden with a shovel last week and are now removing all the larger weed roots(SIZE=1]I]what is that stuff with the white spaghetti roots running everywhere underground this year?)SIZE=2] In a couple of hours it should be ready for the tiller and then I'm planting! p:-6

What is "the tiller"? An Iron Horse? Rotovater?

White roots could be (UK) couch grass, convolvulus. For both of those, it's a good idea to wait 'till they're growing really well, then give 'em a dose of glyphosphate (some people don't like this, but it is relatively innocuous, environmentally speaking) - it'll do for them.

Apple blossom is patchy. Beans are in. Small root vegetables are in. Tomatoes (F1/Ferline, "blight resistant) are in. Strawberries coming, flowers but few leaves. Squash nearly ready for planting out. Spuds in. Black salsify growing. Peas not in yet, nothing else is, limited room here, no time elsewhere!

Flowers and grass progressing after great upheaval.
abbey

Post by abbey »

With silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row. :-6
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Funny you should ask. Hubby and I were just in our backyard a couple hours ago and I took this picture. We have some tomato vines out back near our septic tank. This is our first tomato growing.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My poppies are blooming...................:-6
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

along-for-the-ride;1310496 wrote: Funny you should ask. Hubby and I were just in our backyard a couple hours ago and I took this picture. We have some tomato vines out back near our septic tank. This is our first tomato growing.

This is the guy we planted for pinkchick today. I have lots of strawberries starting to turn, but no tomatoes thinking of doing anything but surviving frost.:p

Attached files
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1310497 wrote: My poppies are blooming...................:-6

all the neighbor ladies are stopping by wanting slips of my bleeding heart.

have you had success doing that with plants?:-2

yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I tripled the size of my garden this year. Aside from the usual vegetables, I'm going to try growing bhut jolokia. They are the hottest pepper in the world.

Bhut Jolokia pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

yaaarrrgg;1310509 wrote: I tripled the size of my garden this year. Aside from the usual vegetables, I'm going to try growing bhut jolokia. They are the hottest pepper in the world.

Bhut Jolokia pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hottest I've ever gone is the habanero and I quit growing that after the hubby put a spoonful into his mouth when I left the room once.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1310452 wrote: I've been eating home grown Tomatoes for months. I have had this same plant producing tomatoes for a couple of years now.. Yeah!!

Your tomatoes shouldn't be in full sun all day.

If your kitchen window gets full sun - your herbs may burn since the window will magnify.

Good Luck - Nothing better than home grown..:wah:

Patsy

I have one brussel sprouts plant like that. It's back for it's third year. No idea why.:D

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Pineapple sage and lemon balm are the additions to my herb garden. I'd be dangerous if I had any idea what to do with these herbs I grow for the smell.:o

yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

flopstock;1310510 wrote: Hottest I've ever gone is the habanero and I quit growing that after the hubby put a spoonful into his mouth when I left the room once.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Yeah, it's horrible. A long time ago I tried eating a Habanero uncooked. It numbed my mouth quickly and I thought "meh, this isn't so hot", Then in 5 minutes it felt like it burnt a hole in my stomach. :)

Although cooking them takes out a lot of heat. Now I slice them thin and roast them on chick peas (a.k.a garbonzo beans) with curry.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I got rid of my lawn due to allergies. So, I put down pavers and stones.

Now, I can grow an herb garden for my summertime cooking on the grill.

I've planted rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, cayanne and jalapeno peppers.

I also planted early girl tomatoes in the upside down planter...have to get higher stakes for them. I might also get the strawberry planter.

Must plant my blackberry bush tomorrow.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Do you really like your peppers that hot Yaaarrrg??
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Kathy Ellen;1310516 wrote: I got rid of my lawn due to allergies. So, I put down pavers and stones.

Now, I can grow an herb garden for my summertime cooking on the grill.

I've planted rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, cayanne and jalapeno peppers.

I also planted early girl tomatoes in the upside down planter...have to get higher stakes for them. I might also get the strawberry planter.

Must plant my blackberry bush tomorrow.

I've got the upsidedown guy on the clothesline pole. No tomatoes at all last year out of it..stems and leaves, no tomatoes:-5

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bill Sikes;1310465 wrote: What is "the tiller"? An Iron Horse? Rotovater?

White roots could be (UK) couch grass, convolvulus. For both of those, it's a good idea to wait 'till they're growing really well, then give 'em a dose of glyphosphate (some people don't like this, but it is relatively innocuous, environmentally speaking) - it'll do for them.

Apple blossom is patchy. Beans are in. Small root vegetables are in. Tomatoes (F1/Ferline, "blight resistant) are in. Strawberries coming, flowers but few leaves. Squash nearly ready for planting out. Spuds in. Black salsify growing. Peas not in yet, nothing else is, limited room here, no time elsewhere!

Flowers and grass progressing after great upheaval.

I wasn't ignoring you, just trying to find you a pic of my 2.0 hp tiller that is used to tear up the gardens in the neighborhood. Swear to god, 5 hours later my arms are still shaking!:D

I did spuds a couple of years ago, but forgot to dig them up until the next spring. Quite a few actually made it. You ever try sweet potatoes?:thinking:

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

flopstock;1310528 wrote: I've got the upsidedown guy on the clothesline pole. No tomatoes at all last year out of it..stems and leaves, no tomatoes:-5

I was wondering how those tomatoes might do. All I have now are herbs and LOTS of flowering shrubs, red & white oleander, bougainvilla, rosemary, sage and my jasmine on the patio is lovely.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Flop

If you have one of those upside down hanging tomatoe plant it will produce.

A friend of mine has one - complained the 1st year nothing - this year the plant is going crazy.. I was tempted to get one.? didn't..

Keep us posted on how well the upside plant does?

As far as Sweet Potatoes - Slice a chunk - emerge into water until it produces roots - you will have a plant..

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1310552 wrote: I was wondering how those tomatoes might do. All I have now are herbs and LOTS of flowering shrubs, red & white oleander, bougainvilla, rosemary, sage and my jasmine on the patio is lovely.

Sage....that's what I forgot to plant...It's lovely on chicken:-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

simple.......beefsteak tomatoes in containers in full sun.

best ones for toasted tomato sandwiches, so sweet.

two plants.................50 tomatoes.

chives are arleady growing throughout the gardens, they are in bloom now with pretty blue flowers.
Life is just to short for drama.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Scrat;1310623 wrote: With ours the Radishes are about ready to pick. Beets, and carrots are doing well. I panted about 3 different varities this year. The onions are going crazy but I may have to plant some more as some of the starts are doing nothing. Cucumbers didn't make it, I told the wife it was too early but she didn't listen so I started some more. Tomatoes are still in pots until June. The cabbage was hit hard by the cool weather but the Kolrabi is doing well. Lettuce is coming up.

I'm just getting ready to plant cucumber and zuchinni seeds. I'm going to put a few into starter pots too, so that when the rabbits get my first offering I'm a step ahead with the second.:D

Odie

Post by Odie »

flopstock;1310828 wrote: I'm just getting ready to plant cucumber and zuchinni seeds. I'm going to put a few into starter pots too, so that when the rabbits get my first offering I'm a step ahead with the second.:D

do you then transfer them into larger pots or into the ground?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Scrat;1310847 wrote: I spent 4 hours last night weeding, I didn't stop until I couldn't see because of the dark. They were like a carpet and I bet I got a gallon container full if not more. They're unbelievable.

How do you fight weeds?

As for the kroleekami (rabbits) I have a few surprises for them. Bouncing betties, claymores, punji traps and a mini T-100 Terminator on patrol.

I wish anyway. :sneaky::wah:

Here in Seattle cucs and zuchs can't handle the long chills of April and may.

I hear you.....did that same weeding job a month ago....now they're back.

They no longer sell any kind of weed killers.

You can buy friskars weed tool, you don't have to bend as it has a long pole handle, at the end are around 6 sharp blades, you press it into the weeds, (make sure they are damp), pull them out, bring up the handle and take off the weed...done......its around 24.99...worth every penny.

I wish I had bunnies here.:-6

It's to early here as well to start cuc's or zuchs.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Scrat;1310847 wrote: I spent 4 hours last night weeding, I didn't stop until I couldn't see because of the dark. They were like a carpet and I bet I got a gallon container full if not more. They're unbelievable.

How do you fight weeds?

As for the kroleekami (rabbits) I have a few surprises for them. Bouncing betties, claymores, punji traps and a mini T-100 Terminator on patrol.

Before I saw that you were from Seattle, I would have said perhaps the heavy production of weeds, like ours in the desert, was due to the unbelievable amount of rain that we've had. But Seattle always gets a lot of moisture, right? Why do you suppose there are so many weeds? I've got them too. I've let a couple of the prettier ones grow. I cut one yesterday that was 6' tall.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Scrat

I haven't heard of Kolrabi in years... wow

really brought back memories - love them.

Grew them in WA years ago.

I have no idea the best way to get rid of weeds - more rain - more weeds.

kills my back - my tomatoe plants are growing crazy under my Grapefruit tree and one in a large pot. Wish I had room for more garden.

Scrat - any luck with corn ? use to grow crazy in WA.

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I refuse to weed or mow the lawn anymore. I would weed and they'd be back in 2 days:(

Now, I put pavers down and spray the weeds as they're growing. I have 2 lovely gentlemen who arrive every 2 weeks and weedwhack the weeds that grow between the pavers and do a wee tidy up. They don't charge much and it's a pleasure not to have to maintain my yard.:-6
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Zapata;1310871 wrote: Before I saw that you were from Seattle, I would have said perhaps the heavy production of weeds, like ours in the desert, was due to the unbelievable amount of rain that we've had. But Seattle always gets a lot of moisture, right? Why do you suppose there are so many weeds? I've got them too. I've let a couple of the prettier ones grow. I cut one yesterday that was 6' tall.

If they are pretty to you, they are not weeds.:D

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1310888 wrote: If they are pretty to you, they are not weeds.:D
I have 30 tomato plants out and 75 jalapeños, 4 broccoli and a bunch of onions. Everything looks good except the jalapeños. I hope warmer weather brings them around. Oh, and 3 rows of red potatoes.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

YZGI;1310892 wrote: I have 30 tomato plants out and 75 jalapeños, 4 broccoli and a bunch of onions. Everything looks good except the jalapeños. I hope warmer weather brings them around. Oh, and 3 rows of red potatoes.

Oh, I love your garden YZGI......especially the tommos and jalapenos...yummy. Do you and the Mrs. grill all summer:D?

Send me some of those spuds ok:D:p
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1310892 wrote: I have 30 tomato plants out and 75 jalapeños, 4 broccoli and a bunch of onions. Everything looks good except the jalapeños. I hope warmer weather brings them around. Oh, and 3 rows of red potatoes.

I would love some of those tomatoes. Kansas tomatoes are the best . . .next to Jersey's that is.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

How do you fight weeds?

That's why I'm just planting the seeds here now. Hopefully by end of month when they are up and tempting the critters, it will be staying warmer at night.

If I have as many weeds this year as last year, I'll never weed again, just till under. We brokeup as many weeds and roots as possible before we tilled this year, there is no excuse for weeds!

Of course, if there are no weeds, the only place the bugs will have to feed come summer are my veggie plants.:D

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

salsa?

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Kathy Ellen;1310876 wrote: I refuse to weed or mow the lawn anymore. I would weed and they'd be back in 2 days:(

Ever notice that weeds can survive anything and yet it takes less then nothing to kill the stuff we want?:rolleyes:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1310875 wrote: Scrat

I haven't heard of Kolrabi in years... wow

really brought back memories - love them.

Grew them in WA years ago.

I have no idea the best way to get rid of weeds - more rain - more weeds.

kills my back - my tomatoe plants are growing crazy under my Grapefruit tree and one in a large pot. Wish I had room for more garden.

Scrat - any luck with corn ? use to grow crazy in WA.

Patsy

Corn is the one thing none of us grow here. We are surrounded by it.:D We have holidays and parades in honor of it:yh_rotfl "Volunteers" appear in everyones garden- brought in by the birds in the fields around here.

but i do love me some sweetcorn...:p:-4

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1310899 wrote: Oh, I love your garden YZGI......especially the tommos and jalapenos...yummy. Do you and the Mrs. grill all summer:D?

Send me some of those spuds ok:D:p
Yup, grilled lamb chop and broccoli last night. I'll try and take a cell phone pick later. The garden is behind my shop on about an half acre. Last year we also grew corn but it was a pain so I decided against it this year.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1310907 wrote: salsa?
I make what I call a jalapeno relish that I have become the crack dealer for all my friends and family who like it. I usually do 3-4 batches of it a year at around 50 pounds of jallies per batche. Not including the other ingredients. We all put it on our sandwiches, hot dogs, hammies, soups, salads etc. etc. In other words we use it on everything.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

there are my maters

Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1311071 wrote: there are my maters

is that a buffalo in the field?:yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Munching on doritos that trucker dropped along the way.............
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,

With silver bells and cockle shells,

And pretty maids all in a row!

;)

Attached files
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

It's been an awesome first week in the flopstock garden .... with the notable exception of the broccoli plants:rolleyes: - better known as my first official rabbit offering of the new season...:D

Other then that minor setback, we got a continuous light rain the first two days after planting, followed by a couple of days of sunshine and now a light followup of dampening - could work out great!

I can't wait to get back out there.

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I have tomatoes coming out my ears.......

I'll have to give some away to neighbors.

Nothing better than Home Grown - delish

Patsy
Odie

Post by Odie »

Patsy Warnick;1312149 wrote: I have tomatoes coming out my ears.......

I'll have to give some away to neighbors.

Nothing better than Home Grown - delish

Patsy

mine are just starting to grow.

enjoy!:-6
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I got some wire mesh kinda fence and put it in a trench around the perimeter or the garden. The dog just sat there watching me and shaking her head..:D

Back in the day, she'd chase those pesky rabbits. Now she takes five quick steps and and then barks "to hell with it."..:wah:

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

OK Gardeners Can you freeze Tomatoes?

I'm wondering if I need to blanche them first?

Patsy

Return to “Gardening Forum”