Butterfly vine

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
weeder

Butterfly vine

Post by weeder »

Are you referring to Trumpet Vine? Butterfly Bushes? Ill assume trumpet vine. Is it orange? It gets planted in full sun. Should take off rapidly. Tolerates poor soil and drought. Will eventually choke everything in its path. I love it. I love all vines.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Agnes

Butterfly vine

Post by Agnes »

yes, i grew up with trumpet vine in my yard. it will choke and continue to grow everywhere. give it a wide open area, as it needs space, lots of it. orange trumpets, and yes over-rules its area. hardy, tough vine. you just leave it alone and let it go.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
devist8me

Butterfly vine

Post by devist8me »

Now I want a trumpet vine/butterfly vine. I'll look for one later this week at some local nurseries. Is it something that comes back every year, after the winter months?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
devist8me

Butterfly vine

Post by devist8me »

Here's a couple of sites I found on it:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/ar ... ptera.html

http://www.greenbeam.com/features/plant110104.stm

Based on the pics....this thing gets HUGE!!
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
weeder

Butterfly vine

Post by weeder »

deb789 wrote: I bought this Butterfly vine. Is this vine a fast growing vine? Also, When does it bloom? How much water? Sun or shade? How tall does it get? My plant is in the ground. Zone8b.
I am living in zone 8 now also. Came from zone 6. Gardening here is limited and difficult for me. I cant grow the plants Ive loved for years. The soil here is mostly sand. I come from red clay. If you are a beginner its best to hit the books. 10 years ago I didnt know the difference between an annual and a perennial. I eventually made my living as a gardener and then a landscape designer. Despite the fact that I now work in a different but related field,,,,I still spend quite a bit of my time "In the dirt" so to speak... Ive begun to realize.. I will never out grow my love of all growing and living things. Just my little saga for the morning. Its easier for my mind to write about these things.. than to go to subjects that are spiritually unsettling. That is the reason why gardening is a wonderfully theraputic hobby. For some people... watching things grow is like food for the soul,
Agnes

Butterfly vine

Post by Agnes »

weeder, as a landscaper, can these vines (established) be cut and rooted in water to start another? not everyone wants to go out and spend money on a new small sample of vine?
weeder

Butterfly vine

Post by weeder »

Yes Agnes.. Glad you asked.... Not only can trumpet vine be stared in H2o.. It is so tough... Basically it is a flowering weed.. that you can stick it right in the ground and start it. Every enthusiastic new gardener should own a jar of root tone. The Rooting Hormone
Agnes

Butterfly vine

Post by Agnes »

weeder, i kinda figured that could be done. this is the time of year to start new plants from established vines. forsythia i used to bring in to force bloom, that grows pretty easily as well. perenials need not to be purchased as plants, seeds work just as well. i've done so many times before. i think we are on same planet as far as plants go.
weeder

Butterfly vine

Post by weeder »

Wisteria is the real mind boggling mystery vine. It can grow wild and flower all over someones property... Buy it and sometimes it doesnt bloom for 20 years. Its all over the south here.. Im trying it again. Morning Glorys are my life long favorite. I throw the seeds everywhere. They cover the building and fences. Seeds are great. My first few gardens were done with seed only, Plants came later because of commercial work and customers wanting immediate color.

Return to “Gardening Forum”