Full Harvest? (herbs)

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Nocturna

Full Harvest? (herbs)

Post by Nocturna »

Hello everyone Smile

Okay, so I've grown herbs for the first time ever this year. I have Basil (which hasn't done too well), Chamomile, peppermint, spearmint, Lemon Verbena, and Catnip. I've been doing a continual harvest through the summer (taking a bit, letting more grow, etc), but now that fall is nearly here...do I do a "full harvest"? As in, cut them down to the ground? If so, when? We have a bit more warm weather on the way, but it'll end soon. I'm guessing I should take what I can before it gets too cold? As said, this is my first time growing herbs, so I'm still learning.

I'm from western washington.

Thanks!

Joe.
Clodhopper

Full Harvest? (herbs)

Post by Clodhopper »

Hello and welcome! :)

I don't think I can help much, since although I'm also trying to grow things I am very inexperienced. :o

However, I have been told that basil is notoriously difficult, so don't be too concerned if it hasn't gone well. Mine only started to really go when I gave up and ignored it - then the snails got it. Aaaargh! :wah:

How do you plan to preserve it when /if you do harvest it fully?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Nocturna

Full Harvest? (herbs)

Post by Nocturna »

LOL yes, I've heard many others say the same thing about Basil. Apparently it's hard to take care of..at least in my area.

As for preserving them..I've been taking a bit here and there, and using some fresh, and drying others (by hanging them upside down, and then putting them into air-tight containers once dried).

That's been working great..but now since fall is almost here..I'm thinking I need to harvest what I can, so the plants don't just die because of the cooler weather. I'm thinking I should chop them down to a few inches from the ground..but I'm not entirely certain.

Thanks for your response :)
qsducks

Full Harvest? (herbs)

Post by qsducks »

Nocturna;1244563 wrote: Hello everyone Smile

Okay, so I've grown herbs for the first time ever this year. I have Basil (which hasn't done too well), Chamomile, peppermint, spearmint, Lemon Verbena, and Catnip. I've been doing a continual harvest through the summer (taking a bit, letting more grow, etc), but now that fall is nearly here...do I do a "full harvest"? As in, cut them down to the ground? If so, when? We have a bit more warm weather on the way, but it'll end soon. I'm guessing I should take what I can before it gets too cold? As said, this is my first time growing herbs, so I'm still learning.

I'm from western washington.

Thanks!

Joe.

Harvest the basil...get a paper bag & put the basil in it with the stem sticking outta the bag & tie the bag...hang in a dry place like your basement...wait a couple of weeks & I would do this outside, take your basil bags out on your deck/porch & and just crunch up the leaves & fill containers...you should get enough for the winter. Chamomile, peppermint & spearmint are all perenials & will come back, but watch out as the mints spread. Oh and welcome to FG
qsducks

Full Harvest? (herbs)

Post by qsducks »

Any ideas about what to do about Sage? I've got loads of it.
Oscar Namechange

Full Harvest? (herbs)

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nocturna;1244563 wrote:

I have Basil (which hasn't done too well)

YouTube - Fawlty Towers: Basil in Bed - Comedy Greats - BBC

:sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Gardening Forum”