Tomatoes going to Rot - Need Ideas Fast

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Salsa

Spaghetti Sauce

Dried Tomatoes

Canned Tomatoes

Don't do Ketchup

They are literally rotting here and I feel awful! Think the food pantry will take fresh veggies or do they need FDA stamps?:thinking:

It's as if my back yard is crapping tomatoes... I just can't keep up!

Gonna have lots of volunteers next year with all of them composting into the garden dirt..:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Make them into tomatoe juice, and freeze it.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I had a neighbor that used to just put the tomato in the freezer on the shelf and then stack them as they froze..

Wouldn't they explode?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Make tomatoe puree, chutney's, pickle them etc etc
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

No squirrels in your area they will eat them big time. ;) Food banks should take them if they aren't to rotten.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1244432 wrote: No squirrels in your area they will eat them big time. ;) Food banks should take them if they aren't to rotten.

I didn't mean the rotten ones!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I meant the ones that are still coming.. I have a whole area of my garden that is just coming as a friend gave me a bunch of his left over plants in july.

all my regulars have been canned sauced for weeks.. i was already taking them to work for co-workers.. everyone is sick of them..:D

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1244425 wrote: Make tomatoe puree, chutney's, pickle them etc etc

No idea what a chutney is nor have i ever pickled them.... off to google!

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'll send you my cousin's Iguana he will clear out the tomatoes in 2 hours or less all you will hear is a chewing sound. He clears out her acre every season of rotten fruits and veggies. He really likes watermelon. :wah:

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Oscar Namechange

CARLA;1244444 wrote: I'll send you my cousin's Iguana he will clear out the tomatoes in 2 hours or less all you will hear is a chewing sound. He clears out her acre every season of rotten fruits and veggies. Hhe really likes watermelon. :wah: You are so right. My nephew has several Iggy's and when I visit, they lick my lips. Not because they love me but they think my lipstick is tomatoe's or strawberry's.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

flopstock;1244435 wrote: I didn't mean the rotten ones!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I meant the ones that are still coming.. I have a whole area of my garden that is just coming as a friend gave me a bunch of his left over plants in july.

all my regulars have been canned sauced for weeks.. i was already taking them to work for co-workers.. everyone is sick of them..:D

Well I'm not sick of them...take fresh garden ones anyday over the junk they sell at the store...fake tomatoes:-5
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Tomato soup for all your work colleagues ;-)

cheese & Tomato basil quiches

For freezing just chop them up and put them in freezer bags to freeze. You can use them all year long in casseroles, chillis, soups, etc.... Works great!

You won't be able to eat them fresh like in a salad, but for cooked dishes works very well.
Oscar Namechange

RED TOMATOE CHUTNEY

Makes: 1.8kg (4lb)

2.7kg (6lb) RipeTomatoes

450g (1lb) Onions

350g (12oz) Sugar

300ml (½ pint) Malt Vinegar

25g (1oz) Salt

2 tsp Paprika

¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper

Wash and chop the tomatoes, peel and chop the onions.

Place the tomatoes and onions into a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook gently to release the tomato juices, simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until tender.

Add the salt, paprika, cayenne and half of the vinegar, cook gently for 45 minutes or until it begins to thicken.

Add the sugar and remaining vinegar, stirring until fully dissolved.

Continue simmering, until the mixture becomes thick, stirring occasionally.

Leave for 3 - 5 weeks to allow the flavour to mature
Oscar Namechange

RIPE PICKLED TOMATOES

3 pints tomatoes, peeled and chopped

1 cup chopped celery

4 tablespoons chopped red pepper

4 tablespoons chopped onion

4 tablespoons salt

6 tablespoons sugar

6 tablespoons mustard seed

1/2 teaspoon clove

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon grated nutmeg

2 cups vinegar

Instructions

Mix ingredients in order given.

Put in a stone jar and cover.

This uncooked mixture must stand a week before using, but may be kept for a year.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Tomato Jam I like this:-6

8 large or 12 medium ripe tomatoes

3 lemons

8 cups white sugar

3 tablespoons preserved ginger, chopped

Preparation method

1. Wash, dry and roughly chop the tomatoes. Finely grate the rind from the lemons and then squeeze out the juice. Place the chopped tomatoes, lemon rind and juice, and the sugar in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the jam comes to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the jam reaches setting point. When setting point is reached, stir in the ginger and allow the jam to stand, off the heat, for 15 minutes. Remove any scum from the surface and ladle the hot jam into clean, warm jars. Seal and set aside to cool completely. The jam will keep for up to one year in a cool, dark place.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

qsducks;1244471 wrote: Well I'm not sick of them...take fresh garden ones anyday over the junk they sell at the store...fake tomatoes:-5

FYI

If I can find my old christmas card list you're gonna wanta be sure and not leave any packages laying around you may get this week...:sneaky:

I'll send ones that are just starting to turn ffrom green so they should be ripening about arrival time..:D

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1244444 wrote: I'll send you my cousin's Iguana he will clear out the tomatoes in 2 hours or less all you will hear is a chewing sound. He clears out her acre every season of rotten fruits and veggies. He really likes watermelon. :wah:

...sorry for interrupting your thread flopstock.

I love all kinds of lizards, crocs, snakes, anoles etc.

but this one is just spectular in colors!

to cute, he eat tomatoes!

I knew they ate veggies and fruit, but never tomatoes!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

oh what about tomato soup?
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This guy will eat almost anything that hits the ground he even goes after the horses hay. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1244614 wrote: This guy will eat almost anything that hits the ground he even goes after the horses hay. :wah:

with them living in deserts, hot climates, you never see this on my t.v. shows.

what a pig!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

He and Jock need to be together!:wah::wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

He is a pig looks like a little tank going to the garden. They live in the high desert in Aguanga so he is in heaven. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1244629 wrote: He is a pig looks like a little tank going to the garden. They live in the high desert in Aguanga so he is in heaven. :wah:

omg!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Littleone got home from dads last night and I made her try dehydrating tomotoes. she likes trying new things and I'm down a dozen tomatoes just like that...:sneaky::yh_rotfl

She'll never eat them, but at least they went to a good cause... education.:p

Return to “Gardening Forum”