Slugs. Snails.

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Bill Sikes

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Bill Sikes »

I have just been out to destroy a some slugs around and about, before they eat everything. It seems that there're only great big ones at the moment, or tiny ones. Same for snails. Same fate for all. There must be an easier way to get 'em, though. Slug bait, under boards or old plastic fertiliser bags?
Oscar Namechange

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

As chair for The save the slug and snail association, i must object with vigor at this unspeakable cruelty to our garden molluscs.

The given method for removing these pesky blighters is to get off your backside into your garden at midnight with a torch. carefully pick every one up, yes, including those huge orange ones, place them tenderly into a suitable bag for transport and tip the contents over the fence of your neighbours house.

You could use Mr O's method and play snail tennis. This involves batting them over your neighbours fence with a tennis racquet.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;1214873 wrote: I have just been out to destroy a some slugs around and about, before they eat everything. It seems that there're only great big ones at the moment, or tiny ones. Same for snails. Same fate for all. There must be an easier way to get 'em, though. Slug bait, under boards or old plastic fertiliser bags?

I love getting up in the early morning, going out to the patio with a cup of coffee and walking barefoot over the slimy slugs and snails. There is something satisfying about listening to the squish.:rolleyes:
Kathy Ellen

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bill,

I've never seen large slugs or snails in our gardens here. But, when I was in Dublin visiting some friends, they turned on the lights in the garden.

I couldn't believe my eyes...there were so many huge slugs slithering across their patio....yukkkkkkkk.....

They looked like this.......

Oscar Namechange

Slugs. Snails.

Kathy Ellen;1214895 wrote: Bill,

I've never seen large slugs or snails in our gardens here. But, when I was in Dublin visiting some friends, they turned out on the lights in the garden.

I couldn't believe my eyes...there were so many huge slugs slithering across their patio....yukkkkkkkk.....

They looked like this.......

They are my favourite Kathy. As children we raced them in our own slug olympics. they're useless at the high jump though.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Rapunzel »

Lon;1214893 wrote: I love getting up in the early morning, going out to the patio with a cup of coffee and walking barefoot over the slimy slugs and snails. There is something satisfying about listening to the squish.:rolleyes:

You should try them with salt. ;) :wah:
Victoria

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Victoria »

Salt along the boundery of you fence will stop them crossing into your garden.

Or the old trick of putting some beer into a jar push the jar frimly into the soil the slugs and snails love the smell of beer will crawl into the jar then drown in the beer.

(what a way to go!) replace jar regularly...
cars

Slugs. Snails.

Post by cars »

Well as the saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonaide!

So now in your case, you could get some garlic & butter & make some fancy escargot!:D (don't know how good the slugs would be though:wah:)
Cars :)
hoppy

Slugs. Snails.

Post by hoppy »

Victoria;1214985 wrote: Salt along the boundery of you fence will stop them crossing into your garden.

Or the old trick of putting some beer into a jar push the jar frimly into the soil the slugs and snails love the smell of beer will crawl into the jar then drown in the beer.

(what a way to go!) replace jar regularly...

Over here they sell traps that use beer for bait. My friend swears by them. (He don't drink).
Bill Sikes

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Kathy Ellen;1214895 wrote: (slugs) They looked like this.......

That is of the sort called "black slugs", which may not in fact be black.
Bill Sikes

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Bill Sikes »

cars;1215006 wrote: you could get some garlic & butter & make some fancy escargot!: D (don't know how good the slugs would be though: wah:)

Hopefully nicer than snails, although I doubt it.
Oscar Namechange

Slugs. Snails.

Bill Sikes;1215189 wrote: That is of the sort called "black slugs", which may not in fact be black.

As spokesperson for The Slug equality Commission, we find this discrimination between orange and black slugs, rascist against non-specific garden inhabitants.
Nomad

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1214893 wrote: I love getting up in the early morning, going out to the patio with a cup of coffee and walking barefoot over the slimy slugs and snails. There is something satisfying about listening to the squish.:rolleyes:

I can see that.
I AM AWESOME MAN
BeesKnees

Slugs. Snails.

Post by BeesKnees »

As kids we would have fun going out with a little salt to sprinkle on the slugs and watch them curl up. I also heard about the beer trick but it was always fun with salt. :yh_rotfl

Ewww yuck the squish...
farmer giles

Slugs. Snails.

Post by farmer giles »

slugs are snails only without the crash helmets :thinking::)
Odie

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Odie »

BeesKnees;1217756 wrote: As kids we would have fun going out with a little salt to sprinkle on the slugs and watch them curl up. I also heard about the beer trick but it was always fun with salt. :yh_rotfl

Ewww yuck the squish...

ewwwwwwwwwwwww!
Life is just to short for drama.
Naturalgardener

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Naturalgardener »

Hi there,

If you are looking to get rid of the slugs, I can advise using slug nematodes.

For more information on slug nematodes visit the site below.

I hope this helps
Bill Sikes

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Naturalgardener;1220736 wrote: If you are looking to get rid of the slugs, I can advise

using slug nematodes.

For more information on slug nematodes visit the site below.

This is very expensive, though.

Have you an interest in that site?
Naturalgardener

Slugs. Snails.

Post by Naturalgardener »

yes, I do have an interest. It is my information site.

It is not expensive compared to other slug nematodes available on the market.
qsducks

Slugs. Snails.

Post by qsducks »

Bill Sikes;1214873 wrote: I have just been out to destroy a some slugs around and about, before they eat everything. It seems that there're only great big ones at the moment, or tiny ones. Same for snails. Same fate for all. There must be an easier way to get 'em, though. Slug bait, under boards or old plastic fertiliser bags?

Salt or beer poured on them does the trick for me:sneaky:.

Return to “Gardening Forum”