Little friends.

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Bill Sikes

Little friends.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Well, I know, but...

Outside just now, turning over the soil and putting in plants along the side of a hedge - a little robin redbreast would come close (2-3' away) and flutter at me untill I moved off a few feet, whereupon it would collect a beakful of insects (general description=creepy crawlies, 'though I was surprised to see it take earthworms and centipiddloes), and zoom off to feed the young somewhere beyond an apple tree. I was outraged when it was bullied by a great bumping girl blackbird, newly fledged. After the latter had eaten some worms, I gently shooed it away. The robin went throught the same routine quite a number of times, slowing down my work - it seemed to get used to my dropping the odd wireworm near it, and backing off - it would take them if I showd them to it first (maybe my imagination). I don't think they really like wireworms, though, probably rather tough. Perhaps I'll get some Robin Mix, or even a tub of mealworms.
ZAP

Little friends.

Post by ZAP »

How sweet! I love watching the birds and their antics.
Odie

Little friends.

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1204590 wrote: Well, I know, but...

Outside just now, turning over the soil and putting in plants along the side of a hedge - a little robin readbreast would come close (2-3' away) and flutter at me untill I moved off a few feet, whereupon it would collect a beakful of insects (general description=creepy crawlies, 'though I was surprised to see it take earthworms and centipiddloes), and zoom off to feed the young somewhere beyond an apple tree. I was outraged when it was bullied by a great bumping girl blackbird, newly fledged. After the latter had eaten some worms, I gently shooed it away. The robin went throught the same routine quite a number of times, slowing down my work - it seemed to get used to my dropping the odd wireworm near it, and backing off - it would take them if I showd them to it first (maybe my imagination). I don't think they really like wireworms, though, probably rather tough. Perhaps I'll get some Robin Mix, or even a tub of mealworms.

baby birds are so cute.

I have my wren mothers feeding their young now, they have plenty of suet for them daily, wow, those babies scream so loud until they are full!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

they are so cute, they look bigger than their mothers, all poofed up in feathers.
Life is just to short for drama.
minks

Little friends.

Post by minks »

awww mother nature at it's best eh.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bill Sikes

Little friends.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1204636 wrote: baby birds are so cute.

they are so cute, they look bigger than their mothers, all poofed up in feathers.

Didn't see the chicks, just a parent... don't know what sex, will have to check in the book. This one appeared to have a slightly dodgy right foot, sometimes used both legs to stand on, most often not (but than when I saw it a couple of days ago!), sometimes missing its footing & going base over apex...

BTW, "all poofed up" is a somewhat ambiguous phrase.
Odie

Little friends.

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1204671 wrote: Didn't see the chicks, just a parent... don't know what sex, will have to check in the book. This one appeared to have a slightly dodgy right foot, sometimes used both legs to stand on, most often not (but than when I saw it a couple of days ago!), sometimes missing its footing & going base over apex...

BTW, "all poofed up" is a somewhat ambiguous phrase.

a male bird is always much brighter in colour than females.

.....and quite often like in Red Cardinals, the female is only red under her tummy and tip of her tail.

all proofed up just means his feathers seem like they have been blow dried.
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Little friends.

Post by Nomad »

Bill Sikes;1204590 wrote: Well, I know, but...

Outside just now, turning over the soil and putting in plants along the side of a hedge - a little robin redbreast would come close (2-3' away) and flutter at me untill I moved off a few feet, whereupon it would collect a beakful of insects (general description=creepy crawlies, 'though I was surprised to see it take earthworms and centipiddloes), and zoom off to feed the young somewhere beyond an apple tree. I was outraged when it was bullied by a great bumping girl blackbird, newly fledged. After the latter had eaten some worms, I gently shooed it away. The robin went throught the same routine quite a number of times, slowing down my work - it seemed to get used to my dropping the odd wireworm near it, and backing off - it would take them if I showd them to it first (maybe my imagination). I don't think they really like wireworms, though, probably rather tough. Perhaps I'll get some Robin Mix, or even a tub of mealworms.

Thats cool.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Gardening Forum”