lettuce

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
waretrop

lettuce

Post by waretrop »

I am growing lettuce for the first time and we were wondering if we could take the head lettuce and romaine outer leaves for eating before we see any heads?

Will that harm the development of the heads?

Thanks, Barb
ZAP

lettuce

Post by ZAP »

Sorry Barb, I haven't had any experience growing anything other than leaf lettuce, which is what my mother grew all the time. I'll see if I can find out.
Lon

lettuce

Post by Lon »

waretrop;1201046 wrote: I am growing lettuce for the first time and we were wondering if we could take the head lettuce and romaine outer leaves for eating before we see any heads?

Will that harm the development of the heads?

Thanks, Barb

First--------------lettuce pray.:)
ZAP

lettuce

Post by ZAP »

What!? . . .Oh . . .:yh_rotfl
waretrop

lettuce

Post by waretrop »

Lon, Very cute. LOL

Zapata, I am growing all kinds of lettuce this year. It is growing beautifully, I might add. We actually have too much which is fun. The neighbors love it.

I did take the outer leaves of the head lettuce and romaine. It seemed the same as any other leaf lettuce. I will see if that damages the development of the heads of the main plant.

Barb
Nomad

lettuce

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1202383 wrote: First--------------lettuce pray.:)

After we pray lettuce eat lettuce.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

lettuce

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1203017 wrote: After we pray lettuce eat lettuce.

Romaine or Green Leaf?
ade901

lettuce

Post by ade901 »

Risk is if you take the other leaves that you damage the ones that form the heart. The leaves are also part of the plants growth cycle. Take off the bigger ones (on the outside) and the heart will form more slowly and probably run to seed before it is large.
qsducks

lettuce

Post by qsducks »

my neighbor is growing lettuce...its delish & we're having some tonight...but..it looks like it bolted...what does bolted mean?
chonsigirl

lettuce

Post by chonsigirl »

qsducks;1221562 wrote: my neighbor is growing lettuce...its delish & we're having some tonight...but..it looks like it bolted...what does bolted mean?

I thought that's what happens when you ask the kids to take out the trash at night..................................
qsducks

lettuce

Post by qsducks »

chonsigirl;1221563 wrote: I thought that's what happens when you ask the kids to take out the trash at night..................................

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Gardening Forum”