Tiny red spider thingies!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

My tomatoes are being killed by absolutely tiny red spider thingies! There are 2 different types of thingies - one really really tiny and the other slightly larger and redder! They are everywhere! If I sit in the garden they end up crawling on me! (shudder).

Any ideas on how to get rid of them anybody? Apparently they are either red spider mites or red velvet spiders but I can't tell the difference as they are so darn small!

Apparently ladybirds will eat them but how the heck do I get ladybirds to come into my garden? :confused:

Heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllpppppppppppp! :-5
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mutley;1197969 wrote: My tomatoes are being killed by absolutely tiny red spider thingies! There are 2 different types of thingies - one really really tiny and the other slightly larger and redder! They are everywhere! If I sit in the garden they end up crawling on me! (shudder).

Any ideas on how to get rid of them anybody? Apparently they are either red spider mites or red velvet spiders but I can't tell the difference as they are so darn small!

Apparently ladybirds will eat them but how the heck do I get ladybirds to come into my garden? :confused:

the only thing that will kill them now is a pesticide.......just make sure its for that bug.

normally you can drown them in boiling water.......but that will kill your plants.
Life is just to short for drama.
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Odie;1197974 wrote: the only thing that will kill them now is a pesticide.......just make sure its for that bug.

normally you can drown them in boiling water.......but that will kill your plants.

If I tried to drown them I would cause a tsunami as they are all over the garden! lol

I went to the garden centre and they said if they are red spider mite thingies I need a miticide instead of a pesticide and they don't sell it!

Rock/Me/Hard Place

It seems my only other option is ladybirds but I have no idea how to get them into the garden!

Cheers for the suggestion Odie :)
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Jeyes fluid?? not sure what that would do to the tomatoes though:-3but maybe if you just put it certain places in the garden,, might start killing them off:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

kazalala;1197996 wrote: Jeyes fluid?? not sure what that would do to the tomatoes though:-3but maybe if you just put it certain places in the garden,, might start killing them off:thinking:

Would that harm my cats? Don't wanna do anything that might make them ill. Thanks babes for the suggestion ;)
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Mutley;1197999 wrote: Would that harm my cats? Don't wanna do anything that might make them ill. Thanks babes for the suggestion ;)

ohh dunno:thinking: you would have to look it up i spose..:thinking:hmm not sure what else to suggest other than try loking on internet for miticide although i have never heard of it... hang on i will go see if my hubs has any ideas:)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Ok i told my hubs and he was laughing his head off when i mentioned miticide:thinking: anyway he showed me a box of pesticide stuff we have ,,, its for garden pests,, plant diseases etc,, called Hexyl ,, although he said its an old one and done now if its still available,,, but it even had on the list red spider miotes as one of the things it treats,,, now it did say keep away from pets... but my hubby seemed to think that was just while it was being applied,, also he said dont apply if its breezy or windy,,

heres a couple of links for you as well:D

Red Spider Mite pest control

Red Spider mites. How to prevent and kill.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Mutley;1197969 wrote: Any ideas on how to get rid of them anybody? Don't grow tomatoes. :D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Aww thanks Kaz! Say thanks to Kazahubby too!

Will have a read and see if I can sort this damn thing out!

Cheers babes xoxox:-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1198008 wrote: Ok i told my hubs and he was laughing his head off when i mentioned miticide:thinking: anyway he showed me a box of pesticide stuff we have ,,, its for garden pests,, plant diseases etc,, called Hexyl ,, although he said its an old one and done now if its still available,,, but it even had on the list red spider miotes as one of the things it treats,,, now it did say keep away from pets... but my hubby seemed to think that was just while it was being applied,, also he said dont apply if its breezy or windy,,

ohhhhhhh fabulous on you Kaz!:guitarist

Mutley;1198028 wrote: Aww thanks Kaz! Say thanks to Kazahubby too!

Will have a read and see if I can sort this damn thing out!

Cheers babes xoxox:-4

I love a happy ending!:D
Dizz

Post by Dizz »

I didn't read those links, but I have a suggestion. Make a mixture of Borax detergent and water. Add enough soap to dissolve. Spray the garden with the soapy water and that should get most of them. When the soapy water dries, it should crystalize between the plates of the bug shells and kill them. This method works great for silverfish. The nice thing about this solution is that the tomatoes will be ok to eat afterward.
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

Dizz;1198178 wrote: I didn't read those links, but I have a suggestion. Make a mixture of Borax detergent and water. Add enough soap to dissolve. Spray the garden with the soapy water and that should get most of them. When the soapy water dries, it should crystalize between the plates of the bug shells and kill them. This method works great for silverfish. The nice thing about this solution is that the tomatoes will be ok to eat afterward.

thanks Dizz, I need this as I get certain bad insects as well, but will it kill my plants, flower etc?
Dizz

Post by Dizz »

It shouldn't hurt it as long as you don't pour it on. Also Ivory soap is very good for aphids. The soap dissolves the wax. I think you are supposed to mix it with a pesticide as well but I don't remember which.
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

Dizz;1198212 wrote: It shouldn't hurt it as long as you don't pour it on. Also Ivory soap is very good for aphids. The soap dissolves the wax. I think you are supposed to mix it with a pesticide as well but I don't remember which.

aphids......that was the bug I was trying to remember.....and I have those.

my gardens, the plants are just to close together.....not sure of the soap or the borax......but will ask on my gardening forum.

thanks!
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Dizz;1198178 wrote: I didn't read those links, but I have a suggestion. Make a mixture of Borax detergent and water. Add enough soap to dissolve. Spray the garden with the soapy water and that should get most of them. When the soapy water dries, it should crystalize between the plates of the bug shells and kill them. This method works great for silverfish. The nice thing about this solution is that the tomatoes will be ok to eat afterward.

well apparently they dont like wet conditions,, favour dry and warm hence usually foubnd in greenhouses,, so any type of water will prbably help:D just keep the place damp:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1198261 wrote: well apparently they dont like wet conditions,, favour dry and warm hence usually foubnd in greenhouses,, so any type of water will prbably help:D just keep the place damp:wah:

I can loan out my rain!
ade901

Post by ade901 »

You don't need poison. Do a google search for Phytosieulus persimilis which is a parasite on red spider mite. So much more fun watching the pest being eaten....:wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

You can buy ladybugs at a good garden center.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Mutley;1197969 wrote: My tomatoes are being killed by absolutely tiny red spider thingies! There are 2 different types of thingies - one really really tiny and the other slightly larger and redder! They are everywhere! If I sit in the garden they end up crawling on me! (shudder).

are you sure its not crabs :thinking::thinking::thinking::sneaky::sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
leehydro007

Post by leehydro007 »

is this thread dead now??? because by reading all the replies i did not come upto the solution which i might find if i face the same problem???
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

You have a bigger problem than you realize. The red spider thingies have infiltrated the tomatoes, now you must burn them. If you dont the tomatoes will turn into red spider thingies.

If it is true that red spider thingies have crawled on you then you too are infected and you must burn yourself or you will become a red spider thingie monster.

I guess jumping into a volcanoe would be my advice.

Take care.
I AM AWESOME MAN
abbey

Post by abbey »

leehydro007;1283079 wrote: is this thread dead now??? because by reading all the replies i did not come upto the solution which i might find if i face the same problem???

kazalala;1198008 wrote: Ok i told my hubs and he was laughing his head off when i mentioned miticide:thinking: anyway he showed me a box of pesticide stuff we have ,,, its for garden pests,, plant diseases etc,, called Hexyl ,, although he said its an old one and done now if its still available,,, but it even had on the list red spider miotes as one of the things it treats,,, now it did say keep away from pets... but my hubby seemed to think that was just while it was being applied,, also he said dont apply if its breezy or windy,,

Does the above ^ post not help?
leehydro007

Post by leehydro007 »

Sorry...I was wrong previously and forgot to update my status...extremely sorry for that...:-3

Return to “Gardening Forum”