My Giant Sequoia Trees Sprouted!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Well, technically they aren't mine... I stole a coupla' sequoia cones from a park and a front yard up the street from our apartment and then smuggled them across the border... :sneaky: but other than that they are mine! I've only planted ten and so far five have broken through the surface of the soil. That's pretty damn good considering they only have a germination rate of 40%! :D

Wiki: Giant Sequoia

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Doggone it, G-Man. I thought by your headline that you actually did some tree-climbing on some Sequoia trees to locate some sprouts. And then........you admit that the trees weren't actually yours. Oh my.............I'm starting to sound like Nomad. Please shut me up. :wah:

I'm glad you did find some sprouts. Those trees are awsome. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is so cool!:-6
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

That is very rare. I hope you planted them far enough away from your house. I have never really seen one except in pictures. Those things get huge!!!!!!!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G-man;1179853 wrote: My Giant Sequoia Trees Sprouted!

Well, technically they aren't mine... I stole a coupla' sequoia cones from a park and a front yard up the street from our apartment and then smuggled them across the border... :sneaky: but other than that they are mine! I've only planted ten and so far five have broken through the surface of the soil. That's pretty damn good considering they only have a germination rate of 40%! :D

They'll make quite an impressive show in a couple of hundred years, when you look out of your bedroom window :wah:
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G-man

Post by G-man »

Sunshine;1179938 wrote: That is very rare. I hope you planted them far enough away from your house. I have never really seen one except in pictures. Those things get huge!!!!!!!
True. I actually have them planted in pots on the back porch... I'm going to protect them as if they were my own offspring for awhile until they are well-established... which shouldn't take too long as fast as they grow. By this time next year they'll need to be planted outside and I've got a nice area set up for a small grove of them.

Snowfire;1179943 wrote: They'll make quite an impressive show in a couple of hundred years, when you look out of your bedroom window :wah:
They'll be impressive within ten or twenty years. I love sequoia trees... I've always been fascinated by trees in general, but especially sequoia's and coastal redwoods.

I also noticed that my monkeypuzzle tree has grown rather tall since I last saw it... it's now standing around 20' high. It's slightly out of it's hardiness zone, but seems to still be living. The monkeypuzzle tree has also long been a favorite tree of mine.

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

My morning glories have sprouted...will have to replant them out front soon.
G-man

Post by G-man »

qsducks;1180100 wrote: My morning glories have sprouted...will have to replant them out front soon.

Whatever you do, don't let them seed or they'll take over everything!!! :wah:

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

G-man;1180104 wrote: Whatever you do, don't let them seed or they'll take over everything!!! :wah:

I think that is the honeysuckle vine plant which me mums says is a disaster...oh an vinca vines are notorious...:rolleyes: they have already seeded...don't mind them though.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Only kind of tree that I am planting this year is a

Giant Tree Tomato

Amazing Super-Species Looks Like A Fruit Tree

Produces Bushels of Tomato Clusters Summer to Fall Basket after basket of juicy mouthwatering beauties up to 2 pounds each... so delicious, so succulent, just one sliced up tree tomato covers an entire slice of bread! A super-growing tree that z-o-o-m-s high as a man IN JUST 3 MONTHS

Started from seed and are just 2 inches tall right now. I need to let them get a bit bigger and figure out how to stake them later on. Love those home grown tomatoes. ((drool)) after the rock hard store bought ones.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Sunshine;1180115 wrote: Only kind of tree that I am planting this year is a

Giant Tree Tomato

Produces Bushels of Tomato Clusters Summer to Fall Basket after basket of juicy mouthwatering beauties up to 2 pounds each... so delicious, so succulent, just one sliced up tree tomato covers an entire slice of bread! A super-growing tree that z-o-o-m-s high as a man IN JUST 3 MONTHS

Started from seed and are just 2 inches tall right now. I need to let them get a bit bigger and figure out how to stake them later on. Love those home grown tomatoes. ((drool)) after the rock hard store bought ones.

Yeah, those hot house disgusting things that could pass for a hardball baseball. Gross!:wah:
G-man

Post by G-man »

qsducks;1180114 wrote: I think that is the honeysuckle vine plant which me mums says is a disaster...oh an vinca vines are notorious...:rolleyes: they have already seeded...don't mind them though.
Those are both bad, too!

Sunshine;1180115 wrote: Only kind of tree that I am planting this year is a

Giant Tree Tomato

That almost sounds like a true tomato tree... I used to have a 'tree tomato' that produced small, oblong fruits that tasted more like a guava.

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

G-man;1180119 wrote: Those are both bad, too!

That almost sounds like a true tomato tree... I used to have a 'tree tomato' that produced small, oblong fruits that tasted more like a guava.

I just got my order from Burpee.com and am taking good care of "my babies" till next weekend...planting time.:wah: Oh & i'm logging off...see you cats tomorrow or monday...don't know.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

qsducks;1180121 wrote: I just got my order from Burpee.com and am taking good care of "my babies" till next weekend...planting time.:wah: Oh & i'm logging off...see you cats tomorrow or monday...don't know.

Night Ducks. Hope you are here tomorrow. I will be later in the day. Have to work again. ewwwwwww. supposed to rain all day but I don't mind if I'm workin.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Ducky and Sunshine:-4 Sorry to miss you:-1

GMan, you have the golden touch;)
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

qsducks;1180121 wrote: I just got my order from Burpee.com and am taking good care of "my babies" till next weekend...planting time.:wah: Oh & i'm logging off...see you cats tomorrow or monday...don't know.

Burpee..good company. What babies do you have?

I think that I will plant some snow peas this year. Time to put my Wok to use. Snow peas are good just for munchin too.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Cool when its time to take them out of the pots make sure they are planted far, far, away from the house. ;)

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

G-man

Post by G-man »

CARLA;1180224 wrote: Cool when its time to take them out of the pots make sure they are planted far, far, away from the house. ;)

I'm setting up a place about 250' from the house... that should be good for about 200 years or so... then it's somebody else's problem. :wah:

Update: the rest of the seeds are now sprouting! 10/10 :D

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G-man;1180235 wrote: I'm setting up a place about 250' from the house... that should be good for about 200 years or so... then it's somebody else's problem. :wah:

Update: the rest of the seeds are now sprouting! 10/10 :D

Gman:-6 Where do you find the time and energy to do all the things that you do?

You make me feel like so lazy:wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

I had no idea you could plant cones and they would grow, awesome G-man!

now you know I LOVE GARDENING, so I will expect a pic later when they have grown a bit bigger.:D

how deep did you plant them?

how far apart?

in sun or part sun or shade?

did you use regular top soil?
Life is just to short for drama.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1180426 wrote: I had no idea you could plant cones and they would grow, awesome G-man!

now you know I LOVE GARDENING, so I will expect a pic later when they have grown a bit bigger.:D

how deep did you plant them?

how far apart?

in sun or part sun or shade?

did you use regular top soil?

What did you think happened? That two trees got together overnight and got it on or something? :p I extracted some seeds from the cones, but you could plant cones, too. I just planted them in #1 pots filled with a mixture of potting soil and cactus soil, after germinating them between layers of a paper towel soaked in water and gibberellic acid in Ziploc bags. I'll be planting these in full sun next year in a corner in front of where several other conifers are already established.

I'll try and get some pics with the digital camera... at the moment four of them kinda' look like lil' palm trees... just a red stem with four greenish needles at the top.

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1180458 wrote: What did you think happened? That two trees got together overnight and got it on or something? :p I extracted some seeds from the cones, but you could plant cones, too. I just planted them in #1 pots filled with a mixture of potting soil and cactus soil, after germinating them between layers of a paper towel soaked in water and gibberellic acid in Ziploc bags. I'll be planting these in full sun next year in a corner in front of where several other conifers are already established.

I'll try and get some pics with the digital camera... at the moment four of them kinda' look like lil' palm trees... just a red stem with four greenish needles at the top.

-yuppers, trees get it on together in the middle of the night.......when other tress are sleeping.:p

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh see you failed to say you planted 'the seeds' from them.:sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

All the roots will break through the slab under your house and keep growing until your trapped and eventually you will die like that. The local newspaper will run a story and everyone will call you tree man.

Nomad.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Growinghope

Post by Growinghope »

Awesome! I would love to have a Sequoia tree in my backyard. Well if it does takeover your house you can always make it into a house. Then again it would take some time. :p
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Growinghope;1183936 wrote: Awesome! I would love to have a Sequoia tree in my backyard. Well if it does takeover your house you can always make it into a house. Then again it would take some time. :p

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I want lots of decks off that tree.
daBunnyWendy7

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

Awesome!!! Congratulations!!!
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Nomad;1180530 wrote: All the roots will break through the slab under your house and keep growing until your trapped and eventually you will die like that. The local newspaper will run a story and everyone will call you tree man.

Nomad.
Slab? If I had a house on a slab, I probably wouldn't care. :p

Growinghope;1183936 wrote: Awesome! I would love to have a Sequoia tree in my backyard. Well if it does takeover your house you can always make it into a house. Then again it would take some time. :p
A lil' bit... I've been giving them their vitamin B, but... :wah:

qsducks;1183997 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I want lots of decks off that tree.
Hey! Don't let the trees hear you say that! That reminds me of that horrible children's story about the relationship between the boy and the tree...

daBunnyWendy7;1184252 wrote: Awesome!!! Congratulations!!!
Thank you! Welcome back!

Return to “Gardening Forum”