Any Oenophiles Here Who Have Considered Growing Their Own?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Any Oenophiles Here Who Have Considered Growing and Making Their Own Wine?

I had an old architecture professor that made a living off of his family vineyard when he wasn't teaching. Ever since trying his wine, I've wanted to have my own vineyard and produce my own wine, as well. I'm not interested at this point in anything more than a hobby, but I'd like to put out a few three-year old grapevines and see how it goes. I have a fair amount of knowledge concerning wine types and how they taste and all of that and have a small wine collection of my own, but I'm pretty much clueless about growing wine grapes. Does anyone have any advice? Can anyone recommend any books on the subject or websites...?

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Lon

Post by Lon »

G-man;1174921 wrote: Any Oenophiles Here Who Have Considered Growing and Making Their Own Wine?

I had an old architecture professor that made a living off of his family vineyard when he wasn't teaching. Ever since trying his wine, I've wanted to have my own vineyard and produce my own wine, as well. I'm not interested at this point in anything more than a hobby, but I'd like to put out a few three-year old grapevines and see how it goes. I have a fair amount of knowledge concerning wine types and how they taste and all of that and have a small wine collection of my own, but I'm pretty much clueless about growing wine grapes. Does anyone have any advice? Can anyone recommend any books on the subject or websites...?

I much prefer drinking it rather than trying to make it, and today, with wine prices plummeting it would be a costly enterprise and very poor investment. Too many wineries and too much selection.
G-man

Post by G-man »

So you're more of a wino, in other words... :wah: j/k. I have no interest in turning this into an investment... I've always been a very good investor and this would be a very senseless investment considering the factors you mentioned and well... quite frankly, the plot of land is not the most suitable.

If I were going to do this for the investment I'd move to Napa Valley, Okanagan Valley, the Fingerlakes or someplace similar where just about any plot of land with grapevines on it goes for a million dollars or more... and I'd likely go broke! Besides, I have a green thumb, but... I wouldn't be much of a farmer... I'm more of a numbers cruncher. :p

I'm essentially seeking more knowledge about something that I love... essentially wine and gardening, in this case. I imagine that this will likely just end up being just another garden that's mostly just aesthetically pleasing and not much more, just like my medicinal herb garden... and I'm fine with that.

Lon

Post by Lon »

G-man;1175125 wrote: So you're more of a wino, in other words... :wah: j/k. I have no interest in turning this into an investment... I've always been a very good investor and this would be a very senseless investment considering the factors you mentioned and well... quite frankly, the plot of land is not the most suitable.

If I were going to do this for the investment I'd move to Napa Valley, Okanagan Valley, the Fingerlakes or someplace similar where just about any plot of land with grapevines on it goes for a million dollars or more... and I'd likely go broke! Besides, I have a green thumb, but... I wouldn't be much of a farmer... I'm more of a numbers cruncher. :p

I'm essentially seeking more knowledge about something that I love... essentially wine and gardening, in this case. I imagine that this will likely just end up being just another garden that's mostly just aesthetically pleasing and not much more, just like my medicinal herb garden... and I'm fine with that.

Yes, I am definitely more the wino.:wah: I lived in the Napa Valley from 1959 to 1968 and at that time there were no more than 8 to 10 wineries of particuar note, now there are over 400. I was able in those days to take several empty gallon jugs and get them filled up at the winery with Zinfandel ----- for $1.00. The wine tasting in those days was all free.

I have been a member of the California Wine Institute for 50 years.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/ ... 67236.html
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've made my own wine G-man. But sadly the grapes and plums would have been better used sending them to the starving in Africa.

If you are serious though . Pick a local winery. pick your favourite wine from that winery and go back in Autumn (fall) and buy their cuttings from the particular vine that made your wine.

Choose very carefully where you put your vine. Most wineries choose a particular hillside because of the positioning of the sun on that particular grape. (Ask at the winery for advice or just check where abouts your wine grape is positioned at the winery) You'll probably have to wait a few seasons before getting a decent flavourable grape but give it a go anyway .

It's not about investment but more to do with satisfaction of growing and making your own product.

Enjoy G-man it is fun and very satisfying to know you've produced something yourself.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I'd be more than happy to sample any of next years wine. I'll PM my adress and you can send me a box of 12. Or a cask even. I'm not fussy :wah:
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G-man

Post by G-man »

Lon;1175149 wrote: Yes, I am definitely more the wino.:wah: I lived in the Napa Valley from 1959 to 1968 and at that time there were no more than 8 to 10 wineries of particuar note, now there are over 400. I was able in those days to take several empty gallon jugs and get them filled up at the winery with Zinfandel ----- for $1.00. The wine tasting in those days was all free.

I have been a member of the California Wine Institute for 50 years.

Americans drinking more Calif wine, paying less - Forbes.com

The secret is out now! I may have to try that $1 for a gallon of wine deal...

depending upon how much wine I end up with and how bad it is. :wah:

fuzzywuzzy;1175194 wrote: I've made my own wine G-man. But sadly the grapes and plums would have been better used sending them to the starving in Africa.

If you are serious though . Pick a local winery. pick your favourite wine from that winery and go back in Autumn (fall) and buy their cuttings from the particular vine that made your wine.

Choose very carefully where you put your vine. Most wineries choose a particular hillside because of the positioning of the sun on that particular grape. (Ask at the winery for advice or just check where abouts your wine grape is positioned at the winery) You'll probably have to wait a few seasons before getting a decent flavourable grape but give it a go anyway .

It's not about investment but more to do with satisfaction of growing and making your own product.

Enjoy G-man it is fun and very satisfying to know you've produced something yourself.

I'll do plenty of research and preparation, but... I'll expect similar results. That way I won't be so disappointed. :p

Snowfire;1175215 wrote: I'd be more than happy to sample any of next years wine. I'll PM my adress and you can send me a box of 12. Or a cask even. I'm not fussy :wah:

Now YOU sound like a true wino! :yh_rotfl Either that, or you're VERY brave!

At this point, I've got a quarter of an acre of southern slope in mind, that will need a bit of a soil adjustment, but that's no big deal... there are already some established table grapevines at the top of that hill, too. I'm thinking about getting rootstock of merlot and cabernet sauvignon and a few new hybrids.

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Snowfire;1175215 wrote: I'd be more than happy to sample any of next years wine. I'll PM my adress and you can send me a box of 12. Or a cask even. I'm not fussy :wah:

I want samples from his "medicinal herb garden"......:lips: :D

Return to “Gardening Forum”