The dreaded pyracantha

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Snowfire

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Snowfire »

Had to cut my Pyracantha down today.

My hands are ripped to shreds :rolleyes:

"Why didnt you wear gloves ?" I hear you quite properly say.

I could only find my wifes in the shed and I couldnt get them on

The buddleia's been cut almost to the ground too. This shrub's a bit of a nuisance cos it grows so fast but it attracts the butterflies. The Pyracantha is attractive.......at a safe distance
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by spot »

My goodness I hate Buddleia. Pyracantha always reminds me of hawthorn with decorations. Neither of them are fit to touch, what you need's a blowtorch.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1158920 wrote: My goodness I hate Buddleia. Pyracantha always reminds me of hawthorn with decorations. Neither of them are fit to touch, what you need's a blowtorch.

I might be tempted to take a blowtorch to the buddleia. But the butterflies take precidence with my wife and the neighbours. I dont have the courage to fight them all

Winston Churchill
spot

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1158935 wrote: I might be tempted to take a blowtorch to the buddleia. But the butterflies take precidence with my wife and the neighbours. I dont have the courage to fight them all

I'm having a similar problem talking my daughter into letting her vile offspring ride in one of these. If I could think of arguments in my favour I'd put them but to be honest I can't. She has the same righteous wrath as your lot facing buddleia incineration.

You'll tell me if we're headed off topic, I hope.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1158920 wrote: My goodness I hate Buddleia. Pyracantha always reminds me of hawthorn with decorations. Neither of them are fit to touch, what you need's a blowtorch. :wah: I've got a blow torch for the weeds..... so thereputic.

I have Pyracantha for the berries for one, for the birds but more importantly they are gods way of keeping pesky sparrowhawks off my sparrows, tits and finches. I have to let mine grow quite bushy and clip a hole in the middle. I put the fat balls, peanut feeders etc right inside the bush and i've seen many a failed hit by sparrowhawk due to this. It's murder on the hands as I'm always covered in scratches.

About two years ago i planted a Buddlia that resembled a weed. Now it's a tree and i have to dig up all the saplings that grow up from the seeds. Bloody nuisence but good for butterfly's.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1158907 wrote: Had to cut my Pyracantha down today.

My hands are ripped to shreds :rolleyes:

"Why didnt you wear gloves ?" I hear you quite properly say.

I could only find my wifes in the shed and I couldnt get them on

The buddleia's been cut almost to the ground too. This shrub's a bit of a nuisance cos it grows so fast but it attracts the butterflies. The Pyracantha is attractive.......at a safe distance

with my shrubs and bushes I use the electric hedge trimmers, so much easier and faster.
Life is just to short for drama.
Snowfire

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1158983 wrote: with my shrubs and bushes I use the electric hedge trimmers, so much easier and faster.

I have hedge trimmers for three other large bushes that I keep trim but the Buddleia and pyracanthus were far too woody. They needed taking back as far as I dare, almost to ground level.

Mind you by the end of summer, the budleia will have grown to 6 or 7 feet or more.

Its a weed basically, so I can sympathise with Spots idea of a blowtorch :D

Winston Churchill
Odie

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1158993 wrote: I have hedge trimmers for three other large bushes that I keep trim but the Buddleia and pyracanthus were far too woody. They needed taking back as far as I dare, almost to ground level.

Mind you by the end of summer, the budleia will have grown to 6 or 7 feet or more.

is this worth saving then.......to many cuts and scratches....put some polysporin on them.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bryn Mawr

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1158954 wrote: I'm having a similar problem talking my daughter into letting her vile offspring ride in one of these. If I could think of arguments in my favour I'd put them but to be honest I can't. She has the same righteous wrath as your lot facing buddleia incineration.

The idea of a monstrosity like that getting in the way of your legs whilst you're cycling is unthinkable.

Imagine as your beloved infant's legs get longer and she can kick your knees as they wizz past :-)

Not one of your best ideas methinks.
Bryn Mawr

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1158993 wrote: I have hedge trimmers for three other large bushes that I keep trim but the Buddleia and pyracanthus were far too woody. They needed taking back as far as I dare, almost to ground level.

When the hedge trimmer can't cope, get out the chainsaw :wah:
qsducks

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by qsducks »

Anybody game for getting rid of poison ivy which covers my entire back fence? I'll let you take a shower when your done and give you a cold brew.;)
Betty Boop

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Betty Boop »

You've reminded me, I need to go out and cut back the honeysuckle really hard, then my nieghbours will spend the next few days telling me I've killed it like they have for the last two years. :D
Betty Boop

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1158954 wrote: I'm having a similar problem talking my daughter into letting her vile offspring ride in one of these. If I could think of arguments in my favour I'd put them but to be honest I can't. She has the same righteous wrath as your lot facing buddleia incineration.

Would anyone be able to physically reach around that thing? :wah:
qsducks

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by qsducks »

Betty Boop;1159059 wrote: You've reminded me, I need to go out and cut back the honeysuckle really hard, then my nieghbours will spend the next few days telling me I've killed it like they have for the last two years. :D

I'd rather have honeysuckle than poison ivy:wah:. My trash guy has it and loves it..says it smells awesome so I told him if he really wants to smell it all year round go get a Yankee candle called Honeysuckle!:wah:
mrsK

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by mrsK »

Snowfire;1158935 wrote: I might be tempted to take a blowtorch to the buddleia. But the butterflies take precidence with my wife and the neighbours. I dont have the courage to fight them all

You took on the pyracanthus surely the wife & neighbours will be a piece of cake;):yh_rotfl
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
chonsigirl

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by chonsigirl »

I started digging up the garden area last weekend, there's alot more work out there for me.
Nomad

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Nomad »

The dreaded pyracantha

God ! It sounds horrible whatever it is.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Nomad;1165483 wrote: The dreaded pyracantha

God ! It sounds horrible whatever it is. I'ts a condition that usually affects men in their 40's. Symptoms include the desire to vote for the Scottish National Party, fiddle with haggis and toss cabers. There is no known cure however, research has shown that rubbing one's self down daily with some warm goose fat, will attract flies.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Nomad »

oscar;1165491 wrote: rubbing one's self down daily with some warm goose fat

That sounds more enjoyable.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Nomad;1165628 wrote: That sounds more enjoyable.
Even better if applied by a nubile young Thai bride.
Nomad

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Nomad »

oscar;1165631 wrote: Even better if applied by a nubile young Thai bride.

Sign me up.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Snowfire

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Snowfire »

Nomad;1165633 wrote: Sign me up.

Ting Tong's available

Attached files

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Snowfire;1165636 wrote: Ting Tong's available :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Pleeeese Mr Dudley :yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Nomad;1165633 wrote: Sign me up. Nomad..... this is Britain's most famous Thai bride.... we are happy to export her if you like her.

YouTube - Little Britain -Ting Tong part 1

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Nomad

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Nomad »

Snowfire;1165636 wrote: Ting Tong's available

What ?

We seem to be having a communication failure.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bill Sikes

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Bill Sikes »

spot;1158920 wrote: My goodness I hate Buddleia.

Why?
Bill Sikes

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Bill Sikes »

Snowfire;1158907 wrote: Had to cut my Pyracantha down today.

My hands are ripped to shreds rolleyes:

Pah, Pyracanthus is for pussies. You should get some of *this*:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2081/bild0537.jpg

The spikes are about 30 mil. long. Not sure exactly what it is, but it does grow well in the UK.
Snowfire

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Snowfire »

Bill Sikes;1165998 wrote: Pah, Pyracanthus is for pussies. You should get some of *this*:

The spikes are about 30 mil. long. Not sure exactly what it is, but it does grow well in the UK.

Who are you calling a pu$$y Sir ? The pillow on my bed is stuffed with the cuttings of my pyracantha and my underpants were knitted from nettles.

Winston Churchill
Bill Sikes

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Bill Sikes »

Snowfire;1166011 wrote: my underpants were knitted from nettles.

Wow! Impressive!

Unsure from your profile whether you're an avid gardener - don't suppose you know what *that* plant is, do you?
Snowfire

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Snowfire »

Bill Sikes;1166013 wrote: Wow! Impressive!

Unsure from your profile whether you're an avid gardener - don't suppose you know what *that* plant is, do you?

Sorry Bill I cant help you there. But I must have some for the lining of my slippers

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Bill Sikes;1165998 wrote: Pah, Pyracanthus is for pussies. You should get some of *this*:

I recognise this Bill but can't for the life of me remember the name. I have some books that have been packed away but i will try to find them and identify it as it's annoying me now.
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Bill Sikes;1165995 wrote: Why? Buddlia are a strange triffid. If you want to actually buy one as i did a couple of years ago, you can't find them anywhere. You will see them growing everywhere even growing in guttering on office blocks but you can't buy the damn things.

One day i saw one very wilted stem in a shop and it was the only one they had. The assistant said i could have it for 50p as it would die. I planted it against my fence fully expecting it to wither further but no, now it is a 12 foot monster that throws seed everywhere so i have to dig up saplings all year. Mine is white but i have aquired saplings in blue and purple. These no doubt blown into my garden from elsewhere.

Last year, a starnge plant began to grow with alarming speed in the garden and i could not identify it so i let it grow. It turned out to be a mulberry and now, that is also a tree that however much i hack, I can not get rid of.

Then we have the Virginia creeper from my neighbours side. I have even taken my blowtorch to the roots and it still grows.

The Clematis..... another fecker with a mind of it's own. It has died but i can't cut the enormous mass down as i have birds nests in there at present.
Bill Sikes

The dreaded pyracantha

Post by Bill Sikes »

oscar;1166084 wrote: Buddlia

Take it down to 1' yearly.

oscar;1166084 wrote: Virginia creeper from my neighbours side

If the neighbour doesn't mind, give it a squirt of glyphosphate when it's actively growing. You can buy a litre of concentrate (Roundup biactive) on Ebay for about £30. This will "do" about 2,000 sq. metres of ground! Keep 100ml, sell 100ml lots at a fiver (still cheap) & turn a profit.
Oscar Namechange

The dreaded pyracantha

Bill Sikes;1166095 wrote: Take it down to 1' yearly.

If the neighbour doesn't mind, give it a squirt of glyphosphate when it's actively growing. You can buy a litre of concentrate (Roundup biactive) on Ebay for about £30. This will "do" about 2,000 sq. metres of ground! Keep 100ml, sell 100ml lots at a fiver (still cheap) & turn a profit. Thanks for the advice Bill. The Virginia Creeper is a sore point with us as our neighbour is a moaning whining saddo who complained that my ivy had encroached over his side yet fails to tackle this creeper. Before i took the blowtorch to it, his entire garage was covered and coming over the walls into my yard. I'm amazed it survived after what i did to it.

I do like the Buddlia i must admit. They do attract a huge amount of butterflys and this gives my Persian cat chance to do his 'Mick Jagger' routine in the garden. I must get him of film. He walks on his back legs clapping his front paws together in the air trying to catch them. :wah:

Return to “Gardening Forum”