Encouraging Birds In The Garden

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I love to have birds visiting my garden and my old garden was ideal....I even had blackbirds nesting every year.

My current garden is no more than a paved patio but I still try and encourage robins, Blackbirds etc.

Today I bought a new feeding station (pictured).

Anyone else encourage birds or other wildlife and any tips ?

Attached files
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Odie

Post by Odie »

I have a squirrel-proof feeder filled with sunflower seeds, it has 8 different perches.

I have sparrows, red cardinals, bluejays and many more who feed on it all day.......I also leave it up over winter as they need food then.

I also have a finch feeder, they are a cute little yellow bird, and its filled with nyger food......but remember if you buy one, make sure its an upside down one.......reasons being, nyger food is expensive, if you choose a regular finch feeder, all birds can eat out of it.

the upside down one, only finches can feed from this, as they are the only ones than can hang upside down while feeding.

I also have a suet container, it hangs on one of my planter sticks, that go into the ground..their favorite is peanut butter suet.....lots of birds really enjoy this.

if you put shelled peanuts out, the bluejays will come.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Odie;1139087 wrote: I have a squirrel-proof feeder filled with sunflower seeds, it has 8 different perches.

I have sparrows, red cardinals, bluejays and many more who feed on it all day.......I also leave it up over winter as they need food then.

I also have a finch feeder, they are a cute little yellow bird, and its filled with nyger food......but remember if you buy one, make sure its an upside down one.......reasons being, nyger food is expensive, if you choose a regular finch feeder, all birds can eat out of it.

the upside down one, only finches can feed from this, as they are the only ones than can hang upside down while feeding.

I also have a suet container, it hangs on one of my planter sticks, that go into the ground..their favorite is peanut butter suet.....lots of birds really enjoy this.

if you put shelled peanuts out, the bluejays will come.

WOW...fantastic.....I'm so jealous.

I have Robins, Blackbirds, Blue tits, starlings and pigeons and spometimes Sparrows....unfortunately this once prolific little bird is dwindling in number.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bez;1139093 wrote: WOW...fantastic.....I'm so jealous.

I have Robins, Blackbirds, Blue tits, starlings and pigeons and spometimes Sparrows....unfortunately this once prolific little bird is dwindling in number.

ohhhhhh we have tons of sparrows!

oh and the squirrels will also love the shelled peanuts.......I sit out so much in the summer, so mine are all at the front of the house, and we also have a big tree there, so tons of them stay right in the tree....and headdive for the feeders...love watching my birdies.

in late late spring I see the robin babies, and starling babies feeding on the ground......so will just through some sunflower seeds for them.

the starling babies are so cute, they are all fluffed up with their feathers and look huge compared to their mother.

if you build it, they will come.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

My grand mother was a bird watching person and a penny pincher of the highest order, her 'bird feeders' were bread sacks filled with the trimmings of fat off the beef we butchered . she would take a sack and fill it about half full and make one of us kids climb up and tie them to branches of the 3 cotton wood trees in our back yard , she also would scatter the sweet feed we fed to the milk cows all around the ground under the trees , then (and this is the funny part.) she would stand out there to keep the dozen or so barn cats from chasing the birds that came to partake of her gifts. It really was pretty funny to watch. :yh_rotfl
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
minks

Post by minks »

Aw how lovely. My folks encourage the birds, all feeders are hanging feeders to prevent cats from crawling up the stands. My mom even coaxes the odd humming bird what awesome little creatures they are. She has special seeds for chickadees, and then she gets a few other birds to. Swallows are rare in the city (thank goodness poops everywhere), sparrows are like black flies, all over the place, and magpies are just loud dirty big buggers nobody wants... dirty dirty. She gets the odd blue jay, gorgeous bird but stupidly noisy, with it's very ugly skwak sound ahahaha They hang feeders also to keep those whiley squirrels out.

Me myself, am afraid to encourage birds due to a high high roaming cat population here, I do not like finding dead birds around. We have many squirrels and I enjoy them but again due to cats won't encourage them to stay. (I wish folks would contain their cats.)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1139247 wrote: Aw how lovely. My folks encourage the birds, all feeders are hanging feeders to prevent cats from crawling up the stands. My mom even coaxes the odd humming bird what awesome little creatures they are. She has special seeds for chickadees, and then she gets a few other birds to. Swallows are rare in the city (thank goodness poops everywhere), sparrows are like black flies, all over the place, and magpies are just loud dirty big buggers nobody wants... dirty dirty. She gets the odd blue jay, gorgeous bird but stupidly noisy, with it's very ugly skwak sound ahahaha They hang feeders also to keep those whiley squirrels out.

Me myself, am afraid to encourage birds due to a high high roaming cat population here, I do not like finding dead birds around. We have many squirrels and I enjoy them but again due to cats won't encourage them to stay. (I wish folks would contain their cats.)

that is a shame with the cats........our hold house, no way would I put up feeders.....12 cats in an 8 house radius roamed free!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Odie;1139260 wrote: that is a shame with the cats........our hold house, no way would I put up feeders.....12 cats in an 8 house radius roamed free!

What in the Gordon browns is that animal in your avitar??? It's scarey :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1139297 wrote: What in the Gordon browns is that animal in your avitar??? It's scarey :wah:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

its a Tasmanian Devil, they live in Australia, that thing will take your head off!

not recommended for gardens.:D
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1139300 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

its a Tasmanian Devil, some live in Australia, that thing will take your head off!

not recommended for gardens.:D

Ahhhh those buggers

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

minks;1139247 wrote: Aw how lovely. My folks encourage the birds, all feeders are hanging feeders to prevent cats from crawling up the stands. My mom even coaxes the odd humming bird what awesome little creatures they are. She has special seeds for chickadees, and then she gets a few other birds to. Swallows are rare in the city (thank goodness poops everywhere), sparrows are like black flies, all over the place, and magpies are just loud dirty big buggers nobody wants... dirty dirty. She gets the odd blue jay, gorgeous bird but stupidly noisy, with it's very ugly squawk sound ahahaha They hang feeders also to keep those whiley squirrels out.

bold text, Are you saying the cats will kill but not eat a bird ? geese ,that is weird. IMO

I have a friend whose dad loves humming birds. He has dozens of feeders all over his place, one time he made me stand very still and quite next to him and a couple of them hummers came up and tried using us as feeders it was incredible. of course he had been doing that all summer with the hummers so they were 'use' to him .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Our backyard visitors include cardinals, mockingbirds, doves, martins and sometimes, an owl. :) I got this practice from my mother...........throwing cold popcorn on the grass for the birds. They seem to like it.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1139402 wrote: Our backyard visitors include cardinals, mockingbirds, doves, martins and sometimes, an owl. :) I got this practice from my mother...........throwing cold popcorn on the grass for the birds. They seem to like it.

really? must try this, thanks!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sounds like you're doing better than me. Do get Great Tits and Blue Tits, Sparrow, Wood Pigeon, Parakeet(!) Blackbird and Robin. Also see Kestrl and Sparrowhawk. Only tip I have is to make sure the Tits can't get whole nuts during the Spring - they can be very bad for the chicks.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I used to feed the birds but the squirels and chipmunks started eating it all. I refuse to feed the entire critter population that ventures into my back yard. I feel bad for the birds but still. Limited as to what I can spend on critter food.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Sunshine;1139442 wrote: I used to feed the birds but the squirels and chipmunks started eating it all. I refuse to feed the entire critter population that ventures into my back yard. I feel bad for the birds but still. Limited as to what I can spend on critter food.

that is why I bought a squirrel-proof bird feeder.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1139463 wrote: that is why I bought a squirrel-proof bird feeder.

So many are advertised as squirrel proof, but so few are. They are clever little thieves when it comes to eating what is put out for the birds.

I use to try and keep them out of the feeders and off the finch feeding tubes but I have now given up ---- cause they were making me act like a crazy woman. :-5

My present attitude is: All God's creature's got'a eat....................

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Odie;1139463 wrote: that is why I bought a squirrel-proof bird feeder.

I tried that as well. Hang it from a shepards hook and the dang chipmunks climbed right up it and got into the feeder anyway. Clever little creatures.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1139869 wrote: So many are advertised as squirrel proof, but so few are. They are clever little thieves when it comes to eating what is put out for the birds.

I use to try and keep them out of the feeders and off the finch feeding tubes but I have now given up ---- cause they were making me act like a crazy woman. :-5

My present attitude is: All God's creature's got'a eat....................

buy one from Birds Unlimited........mine was 80.00 but worth every cent, also guaranteed for a lifetime.

Mine is called The Eliminator'

-it has an adjustable weight on it, so only heavy birds can feed, squirrels will run up the pole, but quickly jump down as they are to heavy and the feeder slots close.

Attached files
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1139884 wrote: buy one from Birds Unlimited........mine was 80.00 but worth every cent, also guaranteed for a lifetime.

Mine is called The Eliminator'

-it has an adjustable weight on it, so only heavy birds can feed, squirrels will run up the pole, but quickly jump down as they are to heavy and the feeder slots close.

Well that makes sense. I shall look into it.

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

I get a wide assortment of birds and enjoy them all.

The most shocking sight I ever saw was when a hawk was sitting below the feeder, swinging his head from side to side (watching) while squeezing the life out of the bird he caught.

I did not disturb him as I did not want to have a half dead bird left below my feeder and -- the hawk needs to eat too.

Odie

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1139932 wrote: I get a wide assortment of birds and enjoy them all.

The most shocking sight I ever saw was when a hawk was sitting below the feeder, swinging his head from side to side (watching) while squeezing the life out of the bird he caught.

I did not disturb him as I did not want to have a half dead bird left below my feeder and -- the hawk needs to eat too.

wow..........would have loved to see him, cool!

did you take a pic?
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1139944 wrote: wow..........would have loved to see him, cool!

did you take a pic?

No picture.

Was on the phone with my sister when I spotted him and upset her with my "OMG's". She thought someone had broken in or I hurt myself.

I wasn't very cool during this. I froze, except for my mouth, during this episode.

Odie

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1139951 wrote: No picture.

Was on the phone with my sister when I spotted him and upset her with my "OMG's". She thought someone had broken in or I hurt myself.

I wasn't very cool during this. I froze, except for my mouth, during this episode.

OMG.........was right!

we had seen one in the backyard a while back eating something.
Oscar Namechange

We have hawks here also in Britain. Most are carion eating but we have a 'Sparrowhawk' that will take even medium sized birds live. Unfortunately i get them in my garden. Some say i am priviliged to have them.

Sparrow Hawk.. Kestrel and Buzzard... britains most common hawks

Attached files
G-man

Post by G-man »

I've recently had a problem with having WAY too many birds in my gardens... :rolleyes:

I love birds and I've tried to keep them fed, but... there are just far too many and they consume everything! I blame it all on making an attractive habitat for them... all of the flowers, the ponds, waterfalls, specific trees and shrubs that they prefer to nest in... if you wish to attract birds then you need to make your garden more attractive than the surrounding area where they are flocking to.

What type of birds are you hoping to attract to your garden?

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Some kind of a turkey bird also walk through our yard and they are huge! The first time I saw them they were walking by a window I was sitting near and I nearly fell off my chair, they startled me so.

Everything seems to eat very well where we live. All our squirels have healthy shiny coats, bushy tails and are very round. They are a hoot to watch as they chase each other around the yard and trees.

Oscar Namechange

Falconry in Britain has always been big news but over the years we have seen many imported birds coming in. One of the most popular was the American Harris Hawk. Over recent years numbers of these have escaped and are now breeding in the wild in British Countryside, mostly Gloucestershire where i live. I even stumbled upon one brute while out walking my dog. It frightened the life out of me.

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1139962 wrote: I've recently had a problem with having WAY too many birds in my gardens... :rolleyes:

I love birds and I've tried to keep them fed, but... there are just far too many and they consume everything! I blame it all on making an attractive habitat for them... all of the flowers, the ponds, waterfalls, specific trees and shrubs that they prefer to nest in... if you wish to attract birds then you need to make your garden more attractive than the surrounding area where they are flocking to.

What type of birds are you hoping to attract to your garden?

I have one large tree in the front yard, several flowering bushes, small birch tree, red dogwood bush, tons of flowers all summer long and a bird bath.............this is what attracted mine.

.....I have one squirrel proof feeder, a finch feeder, and a suet feeder.

robins, doves, bluejays, cardinals, sparrows, chickadees, starlings etc.

love the birds, sitting on the portch all summer watching them and I also feed the squireels shelled peanuts.......looks so funny as the stuff two in their mouths............run around burying them and run back for more!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

then they lie flat out because they are so hot and tired.......scoot up to the birdbath and take a drink of cold water, which is changed twice daily.
cogob

Post by cogob »

All we get here in our garden are sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and collared doves, I once saw a blue tit and a couple of years ago a pair of mallards landed in our ornimental pond and scared the life out of the fish.

Our cat just sits and watches the birds feed.

Although we are close to farmland the range of birds that visit our garden is small, would love to get some with more character such as the ones in Florida, I think they were mocking birds...
Odie

Post by Odie »

cogob;1184325 wrote: All we get here in our garden are sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and collared doves, I once saw a blue tit and a couple of years ago a pair of mallards landed in our ornimental pond and scared the life out of the fish.

Our cat just sits and watches the birds feed.

Although we are close to farmland the range of birds that visit our garden is small, would love to get some with more character such as the ones in Florida, I think they were mocking birds...

'if you feed them......they will come.'

-I have a finch feeder with nyger food, plus a squirrel proof feeder with sunflower seeds.

-I'm on a residential street which is loud, one tree on our front property, and we get tons of cardinals, bluejays,

yellow finches, wrens, black-wing red birds, chickadees, sparrows, starlings, and morning doves all coming to feed from the feeders.

......the doves are big and cannot eat from the sunflower feeder......so they eat what drops off.

I also put out peanuts in the shell for the bluejays, even though they feed off the sunflower feeder.....its fun watching them swoop down and pick them up.....and they take 2 at a time.

we also have squirrels that love the peanuts...they also squeeze 2 in their mouth.

plant a couple of small bushes, you can buy these for 15.00 ......this will attract the birds

plant some flowers as they also attract birds.
cogob

Post by cogob »

We have a small cherry, a bay, an apple, a magnolia, a hibicus and something with yellow flowers in the bush/tree department and in the climbers honeysuckle, kiwi, grape and winter jasmine plus many other plants and low shrubs as well as a pond, there is always hanging feeders with both peanuts and mixed wild bird seed as well as wet bread on the lawn, we have been doing this for about four years and still only get the four types of bird, on the wildlife side we have a few frogs and toads and get the odd mouse in the compost. There is plenty of invertibrates such as spiders, ants, woodlice, various flying things and beetles.

I have put up a couple of nest boxes but nothing has used them except for a few spiders.

I think we will have to wait and see if anything else comes in....
Odie

Post by Odie »

cogob;1184815 wrote: We have a small cherry, a bay, an apple, a magnolia, a hibicus and something with yellow flowers in the bush/tree department and in the climbers honeysuckle, kiwi, grape and winter jasmine plus many other plants and low shrubs as well as a pond, there is always hanging feeders with both peanuts and mixed wild bird seed as well as wet bread on the lawn, we have been doing this for about four years and still only get the four types of bird, on the wildlife side we have a few frogs and toads and get the odd mouse in the compost. There is plenty of invertibrates such as spiders, ants, woodlice, various flying things and beetles.

I have put up a couple of nest boxes but nothing has used them except for a few spiders.

I think we will have to wait and see if anything else comes in....

wow, you have all this and no birds?

maybe they're are just not a lot of birds in your area.

.....I LOVE FROGS!:guitarist:guitarist
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

We had a vist from a pair of Peacocks last summer. They sat on our front wall. They escaped from a large grdened house along the road. There was little point in trying to catch them. They sauntered off home a day or two later

I have a Jenny Wren, Long tailed tits, Sparrows nesting in the hedges, a Jay, an occasional visit by an owl and woodpecker and the usual rabble of blackbirds that keep throwing big clumps of moss from my gutter on to my utility room roof.

And of course hundreds of Pheasants that mooch up the road not knowing which way to go when you follow them up the lane
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bez

Post by Bez »

I'm getting loads of birds in the garden at the moment...................... and a mouse that's sharing the food . There's a large rook on the fence at the moment......watch out Mr Mouse !:-6
Oscar Namechange

Bez;1139081 wrote: I love to have birds visiting my garden and my old garden was ideal....I even had blackbirds nesting every year.

My current garden is no more than a paved patio but I still try and encourage robins, Blackbirds etc.

Today I bought a new feeding station (pictured).

Anyone else encourage birds or other wildlife and any tips ? Great to have a fellow birdlover.

I have a long bungalow. There are three parts to the garden as such. There is the front garden that runs the length of the bungalow which belongs to the dogs especially Mulder who likes to bark at anything coming near the gate. On one side at the back outside the back bedroom window, we have a small yard that as i write, workman are laying the foundations for two runs for injured and orphaned foxes. The other side of the house has a small garden outside my lounge window. This is our bird haven. We deliberately plant tree's and shrubs that grow nad interlock with each other to form a dense area of density as we get sparrow hawks and the smaller birds are safe in the trees. It's like living in a bat cave in the lounge as the tree's cut out alot of the light but we are rewarded with a mass variety of birds. Try to plant berry tree's such as Pyracantha who's thorns will also protect little birds from hawks if you get them. To also encourage insect eating birds, try to steal or borrow large lumps os fallen tree branches or logs from the countryside and stack randomly where they will encourage insects to breed. Also try to use climbing plants such as clematis and don't cut back the old growth as many birds will nest in this rather than shop bought nesting boxes. Bird tables are great but try hanging bags of peanuts and fat balls actually inside bushes and tree's as the birds will not feel so open as on a bird table and will visit more. Lay apples cut in half on the ground as Blackbirds will come down and pick at them.

Hope this helps a little.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

:-4

Much good sense.

Had a wildlife extravaganza here yesterday: Saw my first House Martens of the year . Yeeeeaaaah!:)(it's how I know summer has come) and watched a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Parakeets. In Kingston! We have Richmond Park five minutes' walk from here. And if the Parakeets sound unlikely, the colony is believed to be from film crews releasing "local colour" from "Carry on up the Khyber"!! They nest in a few Poplars outside Shepperton Studios!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1185552 wrote: :-4

Much good sense.

Had a wildlife extravaganza here yesterday: Saw my first House Martens of the year . Yeeeeaaaah!:)(it's how I know summer has come) and watched a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Parakeets. In Kingston! We have Richmond Park five minutes' walk from here. And if the Parakeets sound unlikely, the colony is believed to be from film crews releasing "local colour" from "Carry on up the Khyber"!! They nest in a few Poplars outside Shepperton Studios! No, the Parakeets are becoming the norm especially in the South Gloucestershire country side and over the past few years, they are being seen more and more in town often now coming into gardens to feed as well. This will be of interest to you.

BBC NEWS | Education | Wild parrots settle in suburbs

There are many varities around here that i've seen and another bird breeding wild is the American Harris Hawk after years of escaping from collectors.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Clodhopper;1185552 wrote: :-4

Much good sense.

Had a wildlife extravaganza here yesterday: Saw my first House Martens of the year . Yeeeeaaaah!:)(it's how I know summer has come) and watched a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Parakeets. In Kingston! We have Richmond Park five minutes' walk from here. And if the Parakeets sound unlikely, the colony is believed to be from film crews releasing "local colour" from "Carry on up the Khyber"!! They nest in a few Poplars outside Shepperton Studios!

We've had green parakeets in NW kent since the 60's. They've pretty much settled in by now :D. I've not seen any around my garden though
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1185581 wrote: We've had green parakeets in NW kent since the 60's. They've pretty much settled in by now :D. I've not seen any around my garden though I do love you Snowfire you know

:-4:-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bez;1185304 wrote: I'm getting loads of birds in the garden at the moment...................... and a mouse that's sharing the food . There's a large rook on the fence at the moment......watch out Mr Mouse !:-6

oh oh, poor mouse!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I live in the desert so I don't get a huge variety of birds. I have lots of doves and finches. I had a white dove that came last year but I haven't seen him this year. Now bunny rabbits have started coming to feed on the seed that's fallen out of the feeders and what I throw to the doves. I see them every morning when I step out on the patio to do my exercise bike. The neighbor keeps peacocks and Guinea fowl. In the front yard I have fountains, grassy areas and hummingbirds!
ade901

Post by ade901 »

Plant lots of nesting cover. Birds like dense , bushy stuff - hedgerow plants such as beech or hawthorn and evergreens like privet and holly.

Return to “Gardening Forum”