Planting fall bulbs

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

Just finished planting tons of crocus bulbs, in whites and purples, should look really nice next spring.

Planted another 6 tulips together, deep yellow

and another 6 together of just white

what bulbs have you planted this fall?
Life is just to short for drama.
flopstock

Planting fall bulbs

Post by flopstock »

I probably should get on that shouldn't I...:wah:

I bought a bunch of different ones from a school drive earlier this year that I planted.. won't see them til next spring though.. no idea what they look like either.. just planted accoring to height.

I need to get my cactus in the house today.. it was 36 this morning.. probably not real good for them..:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

flopstock;1049179 wrote: I probably should get on that shouldn't I...:wah:

I bought a bunch of different ones from a school drive earlier this year that I planted.. won't see them til next spring though.. no idea what they look like either.. just planted accoring to height.

I need to get my cactus in the house today.. it was 36 this morning.. probably not real good for them..:D

you planted fall bulbs in the summer?

are they are for summer planting?

which kinds?
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Post by southern yankee »

Odie;1049170 wrote: Just finished planting tons of crocus bulbs, in whites and purples, should look really nice next spring.

Planted another 6 tulips together, deep yellow

and another 6 together of just white

what bulbs have you planted this fall? And you didn't tell me you are into FLOWERS!!!!!!!! That is my passion:-4 I am going to go BULB shopping tomorrow, I have 5 different kinds of Iris,Tulips, daffodils,3 kinds of Ginger. Lily of the Nile. I wonder if any you have can live in ZONE 9?? I wish i could grow lily of the valley. too damn hot here. We have many different ferns (Boston) that grow wild. Plus a rare flower Peruvian Lily. If there is any kind you are searching for let me know.;)
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

flopstock;1049179 wrote: I probably should get on that shouldn't I...:wah:

I need to get my cactus in the house today.. it was 36 this morning.. probably not real good for them..:D you would be surprised what cactus can tolerate. From cold to hot. Mine are in the ground. It does get cold here, Around 20 or so, A couple times a season.
chonsigirl

Planting fall bulbs

Post by chonsigirl »

I probably should get some to plant tomorrow, it should be decent weather for a day or two. I shall see what I come home with, I love tulips, but so do the chipmunks!
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1049903 wrote: And you didn't tell me you are into FLOWERS!!!!!!!! That is my passion:-4 I am going to go BULB shopping tomorrow, I have 5 different kinds of Iris,Tulips, daffodils,3 kinds of Ginger. Lily of the Nile. I wonder if any you have can live in ZONE 9?? I wish i could grow lily of the valley. too damn hot here. We have many different ferns (Boston) that grow wild. Plus a rare flower Peruvian Lily. If there is any kind you are searching for let me know.;)

-gardening is written in my profile page, 'about me'.

I have tons of lily of the valley under a beautiful tree that sits out front, the white flowers and deep green leafs are spectucular, and that aroma. oh my god, I can smell it everywhere, but they need shade, not even part sun to thrive, so they do so well under the tree......After they die, I have 8 different kinds of hosta's, Hosta June being my favorite, that come up in the same place every year.

under the tree is surrounded by beach rocks for an outline of the bed.

I cut out another bed in front, where my tulips glow every spring, when they are done, I plant wildflower seeds and have beautiful colour all summer and also outlined with beach rocks.

also just this year, planted out front a variagated dogwood bush, and a tiny tiny tiny white birtch tree.

right at the front of the house are various perennials, red shrubs, variegated ***** willow tree, he is just a little guy. Never need to buy annuals anymore, for the front garden is packed with the perennials and brighly coloured shrubs, 4 different colours of hybrid roses, hybrid are the only ones I buy, as they are known for their fragrance, and they bloom from May-October. I mastered years ago how to care for them, cut the dead rose's off properly and have non-stop blooms.

(don't believe they X'd out p u s s y, good lord, this is real gardening talk and p u s s y willow is its true name!)

On the front deck at the front of the house, I have two planters stuffed with hens n chicks and some sedum in there as well, it looks like a desert as I have added tiny tiny rocks.

also sits planters on the deck with brightly coloured annuals for non-stop spring and summer views.

I also buy 3 hanging planters of long, hanging annuals, one that sits just under an arbor out front which has ivy growing up it.

Its been a passion for a decade now, but I am in zone 5a, so nothing of zone 9 would survive, however they are tons of bulbs we plant here, but they have to be planted, and also lifted up each fall, and stored again somewhere cool to plant for next season.

Iris's are truly spectular, I don't have those yet. Ginger, have not seen those.

I have pics in my photo album, I must scan some and upload them here for you.......most are upclose of just one flower, love my camera, its not a digi, and the pic's come out professionally, even enlarged 2, to 8 x 10 and framed them, people say, this is your flower??

Do you have any pics?

is this gardener obessesd, yes I am!
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1049931 wrote: -gardening is written in my profile page, 'about me'.

I have tons of lily of the valley under a beautiful tree that sits out front, the white flowers and deep green leafs are spectucular, and that aroma. oh my god, I can smell it everywhere, but they need shade, not even part sun to thrive, so they do so well under the tree......After they die, I have 8 different kinds of hosta's, Hosta June being my favorite, that come up in the same place every year.

under the tree is surrounded by beach rocks for an outline of the bed.

I cut out another bed in front, where my tulips glow every spring, when they are done, I plant wildflower seeds and have beautiful colour all summer and also outlined with beach rocks.

also just this year, planted out front a variagated dogwood bush, and a tiny tiny tiny white birtch tree.

right at the front of the house are various perennials, red shrubs, variegated ***** willow tree, he is just a little guy. Never need to buy annuals anymore, for the front garden is packed with the perennials and brighly coloured shrubs, 4 different colours of hybrid roses, hybrid are the only ones I buy, as they are known for their fragrance, and they bloom from May-October. I mastered years ago how to care for them, cut the dead rose's off properly and have non-stop blooms.

(don't believe they X'd out p u s s y, good lord, this is real gardening talk and p u s s y willow is its true name!)

On the front deck at the front of the house, I have two planters stuffed with hens n chicks and some sedum in there as well, it looks like a desert as I have added tiny tiny rocks.

also sits planters on the deck with brightly coloured annuals for non-stop spring and summer views.

I also buy 3 hanging planters of long, hanging annuals, one that sits just under an arbor out front which has ivy growing up it.

Its been a passion for a decade now, but I am in zone 5a, so nothing of zone 9 would survive, however they are tons of bulbs we plant here, but they have to be planted, and also lifted up each fall, and stored again somewhere cool to plant for next season.

Iris's are truly spectular, I don't have those yet. Ginger, have not seen those.

I have pics in my photo album, I must scan some and upload them here for you.......most are upclose of just one flower, love my camera, its not a digi, and the pic's come out professionally, even enlarged 2, to 8 x 10 and framed them, people say, this is your flower??

Do you have any pics?

is this gardener obessesd, yes I am!Ginger just the root out of the grocery store. Spreads like wild fire.I have crape myrtles, Wine,pink, and white. Gardenias. sweet olive, Magnolia bushes, Eucalyptus trees. I wish i could mail you some Satsumas. a seedless tangerine. Figs, lemons, and plum. So much has been destroyed after Gustav, But i am starting OVER. No pics that i can put on line
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Do you have plant fairs/ shows there?? I have learned soooo much going. I have found so many verities of plants. i never knew about. I have a morning glory tree. that i got from one. Never heard of one until then. I would LOVE a green house. But maybe someday:-4
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1049988 wrote: Ginger just the root out of the grocery store. Spreads like wild fire.I have crape myrtles, Wine,pink, and white. Gardenias. sweet olive, Magnolia bushes, Eucalyptus trees. I wish i could mail you some Satsumas. a seedless tangerine. Figs, lemons, and plum. So much has been destroyed after Gustav, But i am starting OVER. No pics that i can put on line

oh nice to have these kinds of things growing, to cold up here for most of it,'

White gardenias, they are only considered a house plant here, oh the aroma of those eh!........only ever bought one, as it would not re-flower, damn!

lots have the magnolia bushes, stunning in our springtime, Eucalptus trees no..way to cold for those, but have seen them in Australia when I watch my animals shows, and the Koala bears, awesome trees they are!
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1050138 wrote: Do you have plant fairs/ shows there?? I have learned soooo much going. I have found so many verities of plants. i never knew about. I have a morning glory tree. that i got from one. Never heard of one until then. I would LOVE a green house. But maybe someday:-4

we have 2 amazing shows put on 2x a year here, learnt alot from there as well.
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

'Canada Blooms' is our biggest show, google it to see the many exhibits there, this show is huge and its just awesome.

Greening Our Cities

An evening with David Suzuki

Thursday, November 20, 7:00 pm

$50.00 General Admission - Limited Seating

John Bassett Theatre

Metro Toronto Convention Centre - North Bldg.

tickets available online at Landscape Ontario.

Celebrate Canada at our 13th Anniversary "Canada Blooms" March 18-22, 2009 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building.

Canada Blooms: The Toronto Flower & Garden Festival invites you to visit a paradise bursting with six acres of glorious gardens in full bloom, more than 100,000 square feet of green thumb shopping and much, much more at Canada's largest and most prestigious flower and garden festival.

Interested in learning more about gardening? With four different stages going non-stop, the show offers over 200 hours of seminars, workshops and demonstrations in five days from some of the best garden experts in North America. And it's free with your admission to Canada Blooms.

Need a little inspiration or looking for ideas? Over twenty dazzling and unique display gardens designed and built by the best of the best around the theme "Canada Blooms", where we celebrate our tradition of gardening and horticultural excellence.

To learn more about Canada Blooms 2009, visit Canada Blooms.

Canada Blooms was founded by the Garden Club of Toronto and Landscape Ontario
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1050194 wrote: we have 2 amazing shows put on 2x a year here, learnt alot from there as well. i use to have a neighbor who helped me. with the yard work. but his family moved on the other side of town. I really miss my helper:-4 He was just a kid, but he loved gardening.:)
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1050211 wrote: i use to have a neighbor who helped me. with the yard work. but his family moved on the other side of town. I really miss my helper:-4 He was just a kid, but he loved gardening.:)

gardening and yard work is really hard to keep up with, one thing I do, is everyday when I see weeds, in the grass or gardens, I cut them out then.

...not a month later when there are tons to do at once....to depressing and my back and knee's cannot do alot at once.

I don't cut back my perennials in the fall, they drop seeds all winter for the birds and squrriels to eat and also those seed will spread to give you more plants so you don't have to buy so many and plant them.......in the spring is when I cut down the perennials.
Tan

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Tan »

Odie,

I've planted the exact same as you!..

Weird!

:)
Tan
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

Tan;1050225 wrote: Odie,

I've planted the exact same as you!..

Weird!

:)

us Canadian gardeners kick butt eh!

love crocus. just wish they would last longer.

and tulips........so many varieties out there.

have you ever been to Canada Blooms?
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

hmmmmmm sitting here waiting SY, show me your new bulbs!:wah:
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1051228 wrote: hmmmmmm sitting here waiting SY, show me your new bulbs!:wah: i am here had company. Tulips, daffodils, iris,and narcissus. I had to go to Home Depot. It is like a super hardware/appliance/gardening store. Wally world and the nursery. did not have CRAP:wah::wah:
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1051236 wrote: i am here had company. Tulips, daffodils, iris,and narcissus. I had to go to Home Depot. It is like a super hardware/appliance/gardening store. Wally world and the nursery. did not have CRAP:wah::wah:

We have Home Depot here, plus Rona, The Building Box and now Lowes.

glad you got everything you were looking for!
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1051302 wrote: We have Home Depot here, plus Rona, The Building Box and now Lowes.

glad you got everything you were looking for! I like Lowes better then Home depot. but HD is closer. I have never heard of the other ones. Not the choice i really wanted. But it will keep me busy. i have drawn. pics Of how i want to plant them. But i never really know until i get in the yard;)
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1051310 wrote: I like Lowes better then Home depot. but HD is closer. I have never heard of the other ones. Not the choice i really wanted. But it will keep me busy. i have drawn. pics Of how i want to plant them. But i never really know until i get in the yard;)

We usually shop at Rona, they are Canadian owned.
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1051311 wrote: We usually shop at Rona, they are Canadian owned.oh. better quality??
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1051313 wrote: oh. better quality??

quality is all pretty much the same at these huge builiding box's, Home Depot is awesome.....we still haven't visited Lowes yet, their specials look alot better than Rona......but Lowe's is also brand new here, so have to advertise cheaper to get us there.
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1051315 wrote: quality is all pretty much the same at these huge builiding box's, Home Depot is awesome.....we still haven't visited Lowes yet, their specials look alot better than Rona......but Lowe's is also brand new here, so have to advertise cheaper to get us there.
For building materials. Or home projects. Lowes have a much better choice.;)
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1051317 wrote: For building materials. Or home projects. Lowes have a much better choice.;)

thanks must try them then.
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

saw this beauty of an iris, a must have!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:immFbFgKtnXgeM:http:

//pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Lilypon_1147582023_115_tn.jpg
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1051595 wrote: saw this beauty of an iris, a must have!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:immFbFgKtnXgeM:http:

//pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Lilypon_1147582023_115_tn.jpg they look like dutch iris. i am planting them, :) Do you want me to send you some??
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

People here do this for fertilizer. take a pickle jar(LARGE) put about 6oz of water. Everyday put your old coffee grounds. egg shells and other fruit or veggie waist( for about 2 to 3 weeks. . DO NOT PUT LID ON TIGHT~~~~ In early spring.Pour on flower beds or other planting areas. It will really give your plants a JUMP START:)
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1051602 wrote: they look like dutch iris. i am planting them, :) Do you want me to send you some??

yes, it was dutch and new out for 2008.

thanks SY, I am still searching here for it here, think its to late now, everything is sold out.
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1053240 wrote: yes, it was dutch and new out for 2008.

thanks SY, I am still searching here for it here, think its to late now, everything is sold out.
I can send ya some
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1053249 wrote: I can send ya some

tis alright, I had bought 1 dutch one, not much room now!

I will be digging up some over-grown perennials next spring and put them in the backyard so I have more room out front.
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1053253 wrote: tis alright, I had bought 1 dutch one, not much room now!

I will be digging up some over-grown perennials next spring and put them in the backyard so I have more room out front. Do you have indoor plants?? I just don't have luck with them. Can grow anything outside. i am worried i have 2 baby avocado trees. I will have to bring them in probably by the middle of Dec. wish me good luck;)
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1053264 wrote: Do you have indoor plants?? I just don't have luck with them. Can grow anything outside. i am worried i have 2 baby avocado trees. I will have to bring them in probably by the middle of Dec. wish me good luck;)

I have two huge violet plants....trick is, put a nail in the soil, they bloom every month, there is something in a steel nail that does it.

When mom told me years ago to do that, I didn't just take an ordinary nail, I have a four inch one in both and the nails are wide!:wah:

they need tons of light, but not hot sun.

that is all I have, cats attacked the others!:-5
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1054630 wrote: I have two huge violet plants....trick is, put a nail in the soil, they bloom every month, there is something in a steel nail that does it.

When mom told me years ago to do that, I didn't just take an ordinary nail, I have a four inch one in both and the nails are wide!:wah:

they need tons of light, but not hot sun.

that is all I have, cats attacked the others!:-5 violets grow wild here. Huh, about the nail. lean something new every day. I remember when i was a kid. Dad and i planted baby trees. He put 4 or 5 tin cans in each hole. Said that is what his mom did in Poland, We had nice trees:) The tin or rust was good for the tree's roots.

ABOUT cats----:mad: I can have only Cactus inside;)
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1054637 wrote: violets grow wild here. Huh, about the nail. lean something new every day. I remember when i was a kid. Dad and i planted baby trees. He put 4 or 5 tin cans in each hole. Said that is what his mom did in Poland, We had nice trees:) The tin or rust was good for the tree's roots.

ABOUT cats----:mad: I can have only Cactus inside;)

sorry, I meant African Violet plants.......so nice to have them grow wild there!

there is such a huge difference from where I live and where you live.

neat the little things we learn from our parents, probably is the rust from the nails also that makes the violets grow so well, the nails would get wet and rust and your Dad's tins got rusted as well, had no idea it was good for the roots.
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1054664 wrote: sorry, I meant African Violet plants.......so nice to have them grow wild there!

there is such a huge difference from where I live and where you live.

neat the little things we learn from our parents, probably is the rust from the nails also that makes the violets grow so well, the nails would get wet and rust and your Dad's tins got rusted as well, had no idea it was good for the roots. very hard to grow A. Violets. Never had any luck with them. But i only tried once
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1054693 wrote: very hard to grow A. Violets. Never had any luck with them. But i only tried once

try that huge nail!:wah:
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

jimbo;1054889 wrote: wont they smash???:wah::wah: knowing me they may:wah:
Odie

Planting fall bulbs

Post by Odie »

you don't hammer them in eh?:yh_rotfl
southern yankee

Planting fall bulbs

Odie;1055080 wrote: you don't hammer them in eh?:yh_rotfl give them one hell of a wack:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Gardening Forum”