Bushes

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
hotsauce

Bushes

Post by hotsauce »

Hi...remember me? Prolly not but hi anyway!

I remember there were some total smarties on here before. I need some advice for shrubs. I live in Missouri. I planted a GLORIOUS perinnial bed that is WAY too difficult to maintain with my busy life these days. I'm going to kill it all off in the fall. I want to plant just a row of shrubs in the place of all these flowers. There is room for about 7-8 nice sized shrubs. I don't care if they loose all their leaves in the winter. They will be in a bed in the back of the house. I live in Missouri. Any suggestions for me? Do you have any that have been a favorite you could recommend? Thanks in advance!
valerie

Bushes

Post by valerie »

Get out, Hottie!! 'Course I remember you!!

How about nandina? They keep their leaves and at times have

very pretty berries.

Nandina

Do you get hard feezes where you are? There are some other

things but you might have to protect them in the winter and

that can be a pain... I do it for my hydrangeas and night

blooming jasmine... put all those sheets up and take them

down in the morning...

Good to "see" you!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

hotsauce

Bushes

Post by hotsauce »

Ohhh...purdy, Val. HI!

Yeah we get hard freezes that can involve several inches of ice at least once a year.
FUBAR

Bushes

Post by FUBAR »

The best way to pick shrubs is to see what the neighbours are growing. Pick the ones you like with some evergreens so you have some plants even in winter. If it grows in the neighbours it will grow in yours, mix them up from different gardens.
valerie

Bushes

Post by valerie »

Pick the neighbor's shrubs you like? Go around at night with a

flashlight and a shovel?

:D

(Looking at what the neighbors have growing is actually a very

good idea!)

(If you have neighbors that is!!)

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Patsy Warnick

Bushes

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Hotsauce

when you say you'd like to plant shrubs ? like a hedge ?

The most common hedge/greenery is a "Japanese - Box"

Japanese something Box - grows fast - stays green - perfect for a hedge.

or did you want something that flowers? alot to choose from..

Now you know - shrubs will need to be maintained - trimmed..

I worked in my yard yesterday - Ivy - Rose's - I broke a sprinkler head - good day..

Everythings alot of work / time consuming

Good luck

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

Bushes

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I read this thread because I have been thinking about doing the same thing....plant bushes in front of our home. I live in Georgia, a milder climate.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

Bushes

Post by chonsigirl »

Hi Hotsauce, good to see you. :)
Bryn Mawr

Bushes

Post by Bryn Mawr »

hotsauce;880084 wrote: Hi...remember me? Prolly not but hi anyway!

I remember there were some total smarties on here before. I need some advice for shrubs. I live in Missouri. I planted a GLORIOUS perinnial bed that is WAY too difficult to maintain with my busy life these days. I'm going to kill it all off in the fall. I want to plant just a row of shrubs in the place of all these flowers. There is room for about 7-8 nice sized shrubs. I don't care if they loose all their leaves in the winter. They will be in a bed in the back of the house. I live in Missouri. Any suggestions for me? Do you have any that have been a favorite you could recommend? Thanks in advance!

How could we possibly forget :-)

Have a look at :-

http://www.paramountplants.co.uk/shrubs2.html

I particularly like the pyrocanthus (Firethorn) - we have several in our garden and they last out the winter quite happily.
minks

Bushes

Post by minks »

Hellooooo Saucy so good to see you, how could we forget you :)

Welcome back.

I don't know squat about gardening cept what is cultivated here on FG. But had to say hi to you :-4
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
CARLA

Bushes

Post by CARLA »

Hi Hotsause good to see you. ;) I don't have any suggestions about hedges as the ones we have in front I hate might be doing the same thing your doing. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

hotsauce

Bushes

Post by hotsauce »

Nice to see familiar faces around here still! Thank you for the suggestions. You are always so helpful. Now, if someone would just come dig my holes! :-6
G-man

Bushes

Post by G-man »

For that area, I might suggest something taller in the background that grows well in a variety of soils you have in that area... some evergreens that grow from 6' to 10' or so... possibly Japanese maples, crepe myrtles, forsythia, lilac, hydrangeas... or perhaps some small trees even. For the front... at least one layer of smaller shrubs such as azalias, camellias, lower growing rhododendrons, pieris, wiegela, holly, magnolia, caryopteris... You might even consider some native shrubs for that area.

hotsauce;880791 wrote: Nice to see familiar faces around here still! Thank you for the suggestions. You are always so helpful. Now, if someone would just come dig my holes! :-6

I'm better at filling holes than digging holes, but... :wah: I'm sure there are others here who might be willing to help ya' with this. :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “Gardening Forum”