How shall I improve my lawn

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
mpegjohn

Post by mpegjohn »

Hi,

We have a very small garden. It is used mostly as a play area in the summer.

Recently we have had an extension built, and the builders needed to dig up the garden for some drainage. We didn't care as the lawn was terrible.

I must say that the soil is awful. It is full of stones, bits of metal, glass, and seems to have been back filled to some considerable level with builders sand.

In the past I have dug down say 6" and put in some new top soil, then laid some turf, but it all died off.

I have now dug over the whole site, and weeded it. If I rake it I get loads of stones and rubbish, and you can see by the colour of what soil is there that it is not good.

My question is, what should I do, to get a good looking lawn. I was thinking of ordering some more turf, but I don't want to throw good money after bad. Should I dig in some organic matter first to improve the soil?

Thanks,

John.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

mpegjohn;841234 wrote: Hi,

We have a very small garden. It is used mostly as a play area in the summer.

Recently we have had an extension built, and the builders needed to dig up the garden for some drainage. We didn't care as the lawn was terrible.

I must say that the soil is awful. It is full of stones, bits of metal, glass, and seems to have been back filled to some considerable level with builders sand.

In the past I have dug down say 6" and put in some new top soil, then laid some turf, but it all died off.

I have now dug over the whole site, and weeded it. If I rake it I get loads of stones and rubbish, and you can see by the colour of what soil is there that it is not good.

My question is, what should I do, to get a good looking lawn. I was thinking of ordering some more turf, but I don't want to throw good money after bad. Should I dig in some organic matter first to improve the soil?

Thanks,

John.

Hi John,

How big of a lawn area? When you dug down last year 6" and replanted, why did the grass die? Not enough water? Too much drainage?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Might be your soil ph has something to do with it. You probably should

get it tested. Sometimes counties have ag extension services or

you could buy a test kit at the garden store, they aren't too

expensive.

Is your house fairly new construction? Sounds like with all that junk

you've got in it there might be other stuff to contend with.

You are on the right track with organic... if it were me, I'd dump a

boatload of manure in it and some bags of good, black compost.

Manure is cheep (!) and you can get sterilized so you won't have

more weeds to contend with. I'd go for steer or chicken unless

there's a horse barn around the corner! ;)

Also, new sod should be kept "squishy wet" the first ten days it's

in. The roots of the first sod might not have had a chance to

"take".
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Have you considered a small fountain?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
mpegjohn

Post by mpegjohn »

Thanks for the help so far.

The area is about 20 feet by 10 feet.

I think drainage is OK. It gats a bit mossy in some corners whilst other areas just fall back to soil.

I did water, and feed it, but I could see it die in front of my eyes.

Thanks,

John
abbey

Post by abbey »

Hiya John, welcome to FG. :-6

Good luck with the lawn.

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Yes, I'd do what Valerie suggested.

Also, be sure to plant seed / or / get grass that is compatible with your lawn's location. i.e.: Sunny, Shady, Hot, etc.

Good luck!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
weeder

Post by weeder »

You have to consuder... Is the area level? If not, the topsoil you spread is only for leveling. Are there big trees around the area, sucking up all of the water? And thirdly, as mentioned, what is the level of shade/sun.

Rake out all stones, glass, debris, twigs. Spread 2 inches of black gold compost. ( Composted straw, leaves, and manure) Use a grass seed mixture that includes Tall Fescue. The fescue weaves roots, and protects the shorter seed variety below it. Cover the area lightly with straw. Water twice a day for the first approx. 10 days. Water deeply, do not just sprinkle the top.l
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sounds like I've got a garden very like yours, except with more and better soil. I've been digging it down about two and a half feet and sieving it to get the worst of the big stones and rubbish out and have just hit a builders' pit of rubble and gravel. Oh joy.

Think you have to bite the bullet. Sounds like you've got six inches of topsoil over builders' rubble, and until the rubble's gone you've got no depth for water retention or even root growth. You can buy topsoil if necessary...

Sorry...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

I have a big garden that is divided into "secret gardens".....the grass really got on my nerves so......membrane was put down and then shingle and because I have alot of shrubs in the garden the contrast was stunning.....of course some people like grass but tell you something I did it some years ago and do not regret it one little bit......no more mowing!!!!!Anyway heres a picture of part of the garden to give you an idea what Im talking about.;)

Attached files
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.

Return to “Gardening Forum”