I have a brown thumb...

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
chicagolosina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by chicagolosina »

Every flowering plant I get dies within a week in my house! I have no problem with bamboo, which is flourishing, the long viney plant that you can never kill or cactus (but who does) I face north, but direct late afternoon/evening sun comes into my house, I have a wall of windows, does anyone have any suggestions as to what will grow well? I use a humidifier, it is always warm in here, so I don't know what the problem is. I water every three or four days. I talk to them, music is always on in my house..maybe I should switch to country music?? lol

Also does anyone have a suggestion for balcony gardens, for us condo dwellers? I would love to have a couple of those HUGE baskets like I have seen on some restaurant patios in the summer. Keep in mind it is very hot and humid here in the summertime. They are quite expensive though, and I don't want to spend over $100 for two only to have them die.
koan

I have a brown thumb...

Post by koan »

Um...I've killed a cactus before.

But don't worry! My home is now filled with green splendour. If I can do it so can you. Go roll around in the dirt for a week or two and get in touch with the garden sprites.
chicagolosina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by chicagolosina »

If the snow ever melts, I'll do that! Seriously, what's your secret...how did you change your (prickly) brown thumb into a lush green one?
A Karenina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by A Karenina »

Those huge baskets are lovely, but also require almost daily tending. They dry out quickly, and the roots are more vulnerable than they are in pots.

What plants are you trying to grow? And how are you handling the plants you buy? Are you transplanting them? How is the soil? And where do you buy the plants from? :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
chicagolosina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by chicagolosina »

Thanks for responding.

Any flowering plant, my poinsettia that I got for Christmas died within a week, A beautiful African violet I got for Valentines Day died within 5 days, I assume they were from a florist shop, as they were delievered. Do you know what flowering plants are easiest to grow and maintain?

I have bought the big palm like tree and a rubber tree from Home Depot, I brought them home, let them get used to the change for a couple weeks, then transplanted them into bigger pots with soil bought from Home Depot as well. They both died within two months, I was thinking about buying a spider plant..I think that is what they are called, or a fern, but not sure if they can handle the direct light, as I would like to hang them in my window.

I think I may try one of the huge baskets, and see what happens. I can handle caring for them daily, but by care do you mean just water?? lol Are they to be pruned or anything? What exactly is pruning? lol I'm hopeless....
koan

I have a brown thumb...

Post by koan »

chicagolosina wrote: If the snow ever melts, I'll do that! Seriously, what's your secret...how did you change your (prickly) brown thumb into a lush green one?

Someone gave me a house warming plant a couple of years after I stopped buying them myself. I thought, "Oh, no. Another immenent death" I put it in the kitchen so I would see it all the time and remember to water it. It grew. It was a vine...vines are a good way to start, very hardy. Once I saw that they didn't always die I got more confidence and started adding more. There are a couple of factors. They need the right kind of light and the right amount of water. You have to be able to sense from them if they are happy or not. Some like to dry out completely before you water them again, some like to stay moist. If you get a routine that makes them happy then they will thrive. They adapt to routines as well. But if you miss watering day...expect a few leaves to fall.
Jives

I have a brown thumb...

Post by Jives »

I had the same problem. As a bachelor I solved it by replacing all the green plants with plastic ones.

My wife tells me that I tend to "overlove" them and by that she means "overwatering". Apparently, you should only water about once a week, maybe twice. Not everyday like I used to do. :confused:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
chicagolosina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by chicagolosina »

Jives wrote: I had the same problem. As a bachelor I solved it by replacing all the green plants with plastic ones.

Honestly, I was thinking about getting a few big ones like that...lol they just look so fake...and I imagine my dusting will take forever! Oh well, I have just decided to keep trying. I do have exactly three plants that I haven't managed to kill, time to choose my next victim...hehehehe
Jives

I have a brown thumb...

Post by Jives »

chicagolosina wrote: .and I imagine my dusting will take forever!

Oh no! Just take them outside and hose 'em off! :D
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
chicagolosina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by chicagolosina »

Jives! Your killing me here! :D

You sound like you were the best bachelor going!

The crazy ideas that men come up with to save time and not do any housework cracks me up! Any more time saving Man ideas?? I'd love to hear them!
Paula

I have a brown thumb...

Post by Paula »

plants are easy, they need water & cleaned for any withering. you are the parent of the plant, its life depends on you. when you are good to them, they give you in return. if no luck with the live ones, there are the fake ones, but fade in sunshine. you don't have a "brown" thumb you have a dry thumb.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
A Karenina

I have a brown thumb...

Post by A Karenina »

African violets are hard to grow, actually. No worries if you've killed a few of those...(ducks from the Plant Fairies' wrath).

Koan is right on with ivy plants. Pothos is also easy to grow, and looks very pretty in direct light since the leaves will be multiple shades of green. They like a weekly shower (yes, in the shower, for about a half hour) but otherwise a bit of plucking dead or dying leaves, and you're done.

If you don't pluck off dead or mostly dead leaves/flowers, the plant will continue to send nutrients and energy to that piece of itself. It's a waste, so be kind, pluck cleanly with sharp shears, and let it concentrate on the healthy parts of itself.

Plants like company, so try to keep them in pairs, at the least.

I think the easiest flower to grow is the petunia. Others may have their own favorites. Petunias require water and tending every few days. Pluck off the dying flowers, and 2 more will grow in its place. This is how you get them bushy and full.

Watering depends on the plant itself, the type of pot and soil you have, the size of the plant, and how much light it receives. Tricky stuff...go light at first and increase if the leaves begin to droop.

There are lots of great container gardening books out there. They are very helpful when trying a new plant. They also talk about soil requirements, and the best time to transplant. That's very shocking to a plant, so you'll want to be cautious with that.

Oh, and you can use a hose on plastic plants, or you can be more delicate and use a blowdryer. :p
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
hotsauce

I have a brown thumb...

Post by hotsauce »

chicagolosina wrote: Every flowering plant I get dies within a week in my house! I have no problem with bamboo, which is flourishing, the long viney plant that you can never kill or cactus (but who does) I face north, but direct late afternoon/evening sun comes into my house, I have a wall of windows, does anyone have any suggestions as to what will grow well? I use a humidifier, it is always warm in here, so I don't know what the problem is. I water every three or four days. I talk to them, music is always on in my house..maybe I should switch to country music?? lol

Also does anyone have a suggestion for balcony gardens, for us condo dwellers? I would love to have a couple of those HUGE baskets like I have seen on some restaurant patios in the summer. Keep in mind it is very hot and humid here in the summertime. They are quite expensive though, and I don't want to spend over $100 for two only to have them die.

The first red flag was watering them every 3-4 days. I think you may have been giving them too much love.

A great trailing, blooming plant is the wave petunia. You cannot get more bang for your buck!! You will need to water daily...but this plant will look fantastic off of a balcony. Give it some food too...it will love you for it.
devist8me

I have a brown thumb...

Post by devist8me »

I've had my fair share of killing plants. However, I have 2 Peace Lilly's and I don't think you can kill them. I put one in a back bedroom once, then accidently forget to water it for....say 2 weeks. It was completly wilted over and I thought it was a goner. Put it back out where I would see it everyday to water it and it popped right back up. Those are easy to tell when they need watering too because they start to wilt, but water perks them right back up. So I would definetly suggest a Peace Lilly.

I also have one of those long vine plants. My sis would know what its called. It's grown pretty good too without just a whole lot of attention.

Other than that, poor plants don't really make it here.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
hotsauce

I have a brown thumb...

Post by hotsauce »

devist8me wrote:

I also have one of those long vine plants. My sis would know what its called. It's grown pretty good too without just a whole lot of attention.

It is a philodendron. ;)
nufan

I have a brown thumb...

Post by nufan »

You should make sure to check all info on plant before you buy. Google it if you have to or rent a book from the library that goes into detail. Thing to check for are light requirements, this will let you know where it will do best in your house watering requirements, when to fertilize, pot size, some plants like to be root bound and soil type. For most plants 1/2 potting soil 1/2 top soil is good some soil types can be complicated which you will have to look into. Make sure water is not just running through quickly or roots may not be moist enough.

I have also found powdered iron clay which can be obtained from fish aquarium plant stores helps plants to grow faster when small amounts are mixed into soil.

Also make sure the plant is planted properly with some plants root balls must be exposed. You can also look into proper ways to stress plants for better results actually some require it such as tomato plants. If the plant grows best in humid environments spray it or put a humidifier by it. Make sure that you put rocks on the bottom of your pot so roots do not sit in extra water or you could get root rot.

Are you using tap water if so this may kill your plants tap water has chlorine and harsh salts in it that will kill some plants such as the yucca tree. Make sure water sits out for at least 12 hrs or use distilled or spring water. It is also better if water is lukewarm so do not set in fridge. If you have used tap water then once a year submerge entire pot in water that has sat for 12 hrs. I usually submerge the pot in a trash can or bath tub you can also set it in bare rooted especially if you are repotting by doing this you will allow salts and stuff to bleed out of the roots.

If you have a plant that needs lots of water or want to go a longer time between waterings look into subirrigation. You do this by Keeping the existing pot. Put a block of Styrofoam in the bottom of the ceramic pot that has no drainage holes. Insert a fabric wick through a drainage hole in the existing pot and up into the center of the root ball (Use a screwdriver to poke the wick up into the root ball through a drainage hole). Set the plastic pot inside the ceramic pot and on top of the Styrofoam block. Let the wick dangle over the styro block to the bottom of the ceramic pot.

Now water until the water runs through the pot and fills the bottom of the ceramic pot to the top of the styro block. This means there will be about an inch or so of water in the bottom of the ceramic pot, but the plant will not be sitting in this water because it is sitting on top of the block. The wick will dangle into the water reservoir at the bottom and slowly wick up the water into the soil. This will allow the plant to go longer between waterings. When the surface of the soil feels dry, then water again until the reservoir of water below the block is once again filled.

I realize this sounds a bit complicated, but it is pretty simple and does not require expensive materials. A strip of felt material about 8-10 inches long and 3/4's of an inch wide will work well as a wick. The advantage of this set up is two-fold. It allows you to go longer between waterings and it provides the plant with steady supply of moisture around the roots. This technique is called "subirrigation" and it is used mostly by plant professionals. It works especially well on plants that need constant moisture.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information here. Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

one other thing do u have a cat if so they tend to poop pee and dig in the pot this will kill the plant if this is so put rocks on top of soil.
southern yankee

I have a brown thumb...

Post by southern yankee »

you know, read your post. this might be a silly question. do you have a cat? Well i could grow ANYTHING OUT DOORS. but inside would turn brown like you. very shortly. come to find out. my 2 cats. were, let's just say. watereing them.:wah::o

Return to “Gardening Forum”