Moonflowers

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
qsducks

Moonflowers

Post by qsducks »

I grew Moonflowers about 10 yrs ago and I can't get them to grow in my little garden again. Are squirrel prone to eating the seedlings, plants? I have been trying for the last 9 yrs to grow them and all is a failure. Need some tips, thanks
chonsigirl

Moonflowers

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, the squirrels might like to snack on them. I grow them, with morning glories, and they do pretty well here.
qsducks

Moonflowers

Post by qsducks »

Should I start them inside before planting time? And how many weeks before that? I'm in the Atlantic Zone (according to the Farmers Almanac) They are so pretty and I love when they open up at dusk.
chonsigirl

Moonflowers

Post by chonsigirl »

I am Atlantic zone too. I wait to plant mine, but you can start them inside.

I plant in mid-April if warm enough: my California poppies first, then morning glories and moonflowers. I can survive with my poppies. :-6

I haven't decided what else to plant this spring, I do not know if I feel peppy enough for a big flower garden or not. My bulbs always bloom-the poppies are in the same planter. I have flowers from Easter until almost Halloween in the planters. The tulip bulbs-the chipminks eat them every year. But I love the little chipmunks, it is all right. They sleep all winter by the wall downstairs, nice and safe from the cat next door.
qsducks

Moonflowers

Post by qsducks »

Oh, I love those little chipmunks too. They are soooo cute. It's the squirrels that drive me nuts. I would rather have the munks than the quirrels - thanks for the info. I know who to ask for flower questions, so that is very handy.
chonsigirl

Moonflowers

Post by chonsigirl »

And when weeder is on, she is the best, she is a professional gardener/landscaper and all that cool stuff. Good luck with your garden.
flopstock

Moonflowers

Post by flopstock »

we should have a fg garden plan... a couple of square feet in our gardens where we all plant the same thing, in the dame design..:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

qsducks

Moonflowers

Post by qsducks »

I'm also interested in companion gardening. I always grow my basil mixed in with my tomatoes, but I saw this veggie garden layout the other day and was confused about one detail. They had the cantaloupes next to the squash. Won't they cross pollinate and you'll end up with weird squash/cantaloupes?

Return to “Gardening Forum”