Hydrangeas

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
libertine

Hydrangeas

Post by libertine »

I just returned from Ireland, and along with all the great things still growing there, I noticed DEEP RED hydrangeas. My experience has been pink to lavender to blue in various hues (and in pots incidently) but never red.

I understand, or thought I did, that the acidity of the soil determines the color of the flower. IS that true? And do the gardeners there feed plants growing side by side differently to create the colors, OR is there something in Irish soil that makes them so RED?
double helix

Hydrangeas

Post by double helix »

Oh, I would love to get a picture of that! Did you get any shots? I love these flowers.
weeder

Hydrangeas

Post by weeder »

libertine;715713 wrote: I just returned from Ireland, and along with all the great things still growing there, I noticed DEEP RED hydrangeas. My experience has been pink to lavender to blue in various hues (and in pots incidently) but never red.

I understand, or thought I did, that the acidity of the soil determines the color of the flower. IS that true? And do the gardeners there feed plants growing side by side differently to create the colors, OR is there something in Irish soil that makes them so RED?

There is a red variety of hydrangea here now also. Hybrid been around for about 3 years. Im not certain though if the color wouldnt change if the ph of the soil wasnt right.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Bryn Mawr

Hydrangeas

Post by Bryn Mawr »

libertine;715713 wrote: I just returned from Ireland, and along with all the great things still growing there, I noticed DEEP RED hydrangeas. My experience has been pink to lavender to blue in various hues (and in pots incidently) but never red.

We lived on chalky soil so all of ours were blue but a lot of Ireland is bog and the soil is very acid so I would guess that red is reasonable.
CARLA

Hydrangeas

Post by CARLA »

I have never seen a RED hydrangea it must have been beautiful..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Gardening Forum”