Help me to identify my palm, please!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
bembita

Post by bembita »

Hello everybody! I'm new here and I would like to know if somebody can help me to identify my palm. Could be a Howea or an Areca? It's sick now, I'm treating it, because the end of its leaves has become brown, and I've cut them up. I think the problem was overwatering. I'm leaving dry the soil. Who knows about it ? and what can I do for helping her? I'm attaching some pictures. Thanks a lot.

Attached files
minks

Post by minks »

bembita;679823 wrote: Hello everybody! I'm new here and I would like to know if somebody can help me to identify my palm. Could be a Howea or an Areca? It's sick now, I'm treating it, because the end of its leaves has become brown, and I've cut them up. I think the problem was overwatering. I'm leaving dry the soil. Who knows about it ? and what can I do for helping her? I'm attaching some pictures. Thanks a lot.

if you see our member Weeder show up, she would be an excellent sourse of information I bet she would know.

I am sorry I can't help you there.

But welcome to FG anyways. :)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

heck, I can kill a fake plant so I can't help you much but welcome to FG! :D
bembita

Post by bembita »

Thanks to both of you for giving me the welcome. I will wait for more suggestions, I hope somebody can help me, because I would not like to loose my palm. Thanks again.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Looks like a Neantha Bella, and you might have gone overboard the

other way, the soil in that one photo looks very dry. Did you put it

outside just for the photo? Try keeping it in a more humid environment,

in a bathroom where you shower might help. You can also put stones

of some kind (even just gravel) in the saucer under the plant, and keep

that damp, it will evaporate up around the plant.

Edited to add: I looked at the photos again, I see it isn't outside

after all!! And one thing I wouldn't do right now is fertilize it unless

you are very careful, it might be too much for it at this point.

I'd use Schultz Instant at half strength when you do.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

not a problem buddy your palm is the flat thing at the end of your wrist with fingers and a thumb coming out of it .... no problem buddy i'm glad i could help :D:D
bembita

Post by bembita »

I already put stones in the saucer with some water without this touching the pot. It will help to keep it humid, and also I'm misting the leaves and the soil. I moved it 8 ft. far of the window. Theses photos were taken 3 weeks ago. I'm afraid to drown if I water it and kill it. The soil seems dry, but it is not, because the pot is heavy when I lift it. I don't know what more can I do.
valerie

Post by valerie »

The only other thing I can tell you is keep it out of direct sunlight.

And give it some time!

Weeder is the pro, maybe she would have more for you.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

bembita

Post by bembita »

I forgot to attach new pictures. They were taken today. The problem with the leaves continue. But there are 2 new branches coming out.

Attached files
bembita

Post by bembita »

Thanks again Valerie. My palm is away out direct sunlight. I know that this kind of palm need low light. I hope Weeder can read my message and giving me a hand with it. I don't know really what to do. :-2
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Mine does that too,over the winter I bring it in and don't water as much.And not as much light. I can't really say that is what causes the browning of the leaves.:confused: I have had it for about ten years,and it has always withstood my abuse.and gotten much bigger.I usually just snip off the brown parts.mine gets the morning sun now.it does much better for me outside.

Not much help sorry.:o

Welcome to FG! :-6
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
G-man

Post by G-man »

Actually, it appears to be either a chrysalidocarpus lutescens or even more likely a ravenea rivularis (magesty palm)... the fronds are more stiff than the chamaedorea elegans or the neantha bella, which are the soft, graceful palms that were popular in Victorian homes.

The magesty palm is a very popular palm for indoors, as they tend to grow very fast, unfortunately they simply don't tend to last for many years. In my experience, I'm afraid this one isn't gong to fare so well... I'm sorry. If you're going to keep them indoors, you're going to have to provide more direct sunlight for them to even have a remote chance of surviving for more than a few years.

The roots should also be kept consistently moist and be in well draining soil... water them until the water begins to drain from the holes at the bottom. Also, when they are growing well... they require plenty of liquid fertilizer and make certain that you don't use anything that will lower the soil acidity, either. Another big issue with them is spider mites and scales... they love magesty palms.

This is a highly difficult houseplant to maintain, though... I do wish you the best of luck, but... do your best with this plant and hopefully it will begin to show signs of recovery, but... once they start to look like this... it doesn't tend to bode well.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

bembita

Post by bembita »

Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll do what are you saying me. I hope to save it. At least it has 2 more branches, that means something! Thanks everybody again. Wish me good luck. I'll will need it. :)

Return to “Gardening Forum”