Paperwhites stink!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Ciao, Bella!

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I've always wanted to grow paperwhites. This year, I got my wish. They're sooooooooooo easy to grow, and fast! However, the scent reminds me of burning plastic!

I'll keep them though. They are very pretty!
Lulu2

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Lulu2 »

Yes...:wah: Don't make the mistake I did by bringing a bouquet into the bathroom!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Ciao, Bella!

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I won't! They're in my LR. I've always thought they had a nice smell, (read it somewhere), but, they don't!
weeder

Paperwhites stink!

Post by weeder »

I love paper whites. I love the smell, Many people do not like it though.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Ciao, Bella!

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

They're so pretty, but I think they're messing with DH's sinuses. If you were closer, I'd probably give them to ya, Weeder!
Nomad

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Nomad »

I dont see whats so wrong with paper weights.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Carl44

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Carl44 »

paperwipes are very absorbent :D
lberna

Paperwhites stink!

Post by lberna »

I have worked for years in a medical laboratory. Believe me when I say paperwhites smell like old urine. I can't stand to be around them.
AussiePam

Paperwhites stink!

Post by AussiePam »

Hello Iberna, and welcome to Forum Garden. This must really be one of the most curious first posts ever.

Not for you the sparkling intro, the religious soapbox, the political rant, the emotional meltdown. What has got up your nose? Paperwhites!!

AussiePam is heading off to google this ill favoured plant, as she doesn't think she's ever seen one, let alone smelled one...

... Oh a sort of narcissus... Anyway, do stick around and play !!

Attached files
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

lberna

Paperwhites stink!

Post by lberna »

I will admit paperwhites are beautiful, but their odor is something else.
G#Gill

Paperwhites stink!

Post by G#Gill »

I don't like the smell of chrysanthemums ! It isn't very strong, thank goodness, but ugh !

My favourite 'pong' is from the freesia, particularly the purple ones, maroon/red are good too. I love freesias ! We have grown a few in our garden, but they are not very successful. It is annoying though, that when we buy them, th e bunches only contain about two of the purple ones, and the rest are not nearly as strongly scented.

When I was little, our garden, which was quite big, was completely surrounded with pink roses (climbers), which lasted for months through the summer. I think they were called 'Elizabeth' but not sure. The garden was filled with this gorgeous perfume, not heavy but lightly heady ! I can remember often taking bunches of these roses to my primary school, and the teacher always was grateful and remarked how beautiful the perfume was from them. I can remember my mum spending ages snipping off the dead roses, and me being surprised to see new buds growing in their place ! No wonder the roses lasted for so long ! :wah: :-6

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Paperwhites stink!

Post by Odie »

when buying fressia bulbs, or any bulbs, you must plant them in bunches, spaced one inch apart, to have 'many flowers' as most bulbs only produce one flower just like tulips etc.

-ours bloom in summer and look spectacular.

our nurseries sell bulbs in bags of assorted colours and in bags of just one colour, so I have lots of purples and deep yellows.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Gardening Forum”