Name this plant?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Ciao, Bella!

Name this plant?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

We purchased this house ten months ago. There were daffodils and summer snowflakes blooming when we moved in, sprinkled amongst way too many nandinas.

We've removed all the nandinas, and I transplanted the bulbs, all of which made it. However, we've got bulbs of anknown type coming up in an area where all we did was turn over the earth a little.

The leaves are tall, about two feet, and have a deep crease in them, so that they're triangular shaped. The color is a light green, almost silvery, and new leaves come up from the center of the bulb, so that they overlap at the bottom.

I know they're a bulb, but I can't figure out which one. Any ideas?
RedGlitter

Name this plant?

Post by RedGlitter »

No idea here. Maybe take a stem and leaf to a nursery and ask them to ID it for you? :) Or a photo?
weeder

Name this plant?

Post by weeder »

Tell me where you live. I may be able to tell you. Are you sure about the leaves being 2 feet? That is 24 inches, very tall for anything Ive handled.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
valerie

Name this plant?

Post by valerie »

Might be a type of begonia but warning, if you do decide to take it

to a nursery, put it in a sealed ziploc-type bag. Helps insure you

don't bring anything to the nursery.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

weeder

Name this plant?

Post by weeder »

Also Bella Nandinas ( are not bulbs) not the nandinas I know. So, maybe your mystery plant isnt a bulb??
Ciao, Bella!

Name this plant?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I'm in SC. They're not begonias. The leaves have a break, or bend in them about twelve inches up from the ground, and they're somewhat stiff.
Ciao, Bella!

Name this plant?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

weeder;537329 wrote: Also Bella Nandinas ( are not bulbs) not the nandinas I know. So, maybe your mystery plant isnt a bulb??

Another name for nandina is heavenly bamboo.
Bill Sikes

Name this plant?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Ciao, Bella!;536907 wrote: I know they're a bulb, but I can't figure out which one. Any ideas?

Photo? If you haven't a suitable camera, you could always cut off some of

the plant, and stick it in a scanner!
weeder

Name this plant?

Post by weeder »

Heavenly Bamboo, or Nandina Domesticata, are one in the same. Along with many other varietys such as Fire Power. This plant is a semi desiduous shrub.

It has white flowers and bears red or orange fruit. It will have runners under the ground, But it is definately not a bulb. I asked where you live because Nandina is all over Virginia, ( Zone 6- 6 and a half) I lived on the Southeast Coast of Georgia for 2 years... never saw it growing there. There are weeds that mimic bulbs, When you turn the ground over you see tons of little white balls. One is monkee grass. It could also be Liriope but the spikes are not 24 inches tall.
weeder

Name this plant?

Post by weeder »

Ciao, Bella!;537441 wrote: I'm in SC. They're not begonias. The leaves have a break, or bend in them about twelve inches up from the ground, and they're somewhat stiff.

I just saw your reply.... I have a hundread books. Ill do some research for you. Is your soil mostly sand, like it was in Georgia????
Ciao, Bella!

Name this plant?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

No, it's about six inches of good soil, then clay with sand mixed in. The area where these bulbs popped up is rather sandy, though.

I hate nandinas! If they stayed small, it'd be great. But, these were planted right against the foundation of the house, and when we moved in where three feet tall! We chopped them to the ground, and they came back immediately! We're replacing them with carpet juniper.

Thanx for your help, though!
Wolverine

Name this plant?

Post by Wolverine »

RedGlitter;536974 wrote: No idea here. Maybe take a stem and leaf to a nursery and ask them to ID it for you? :) Or a photo?

photo.... good idea

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Carl44

Name this plant?

Post by Carl44 »

if you cook it and eat it and your not ill , it could be a vegetable ,:-3 :-3
Ciao, Bella!

Name this plant?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I'll get a photo as soon as the rain lets up.
YZGI

Name this plant?

Post by YZGI »

jimbo;537615 wrote: if you cook it and eat it and your not ill , it could be a vegetable ,:-3 :-3
Or you could roll it up and smoke it. If it get you high, call it elephant cannabis, if it kills you call it poisonous elephant cannabis. Just trying to help.
Carl44

Name this plant?

Post by Carl44 »

YZGI;537620 wrote: Or you could roll it up and smoke it. If it get you high, call it elephant cannabis, if it kills you call it poisonous elephant cannabis. Just trying to help.

only a big dumbo would do that:D :D

Return to “Gardening Forum”