Starter apartment plant?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Felinessa

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Felinessa »

I'm moving into my first real apartment in September, and I'd like to get a couple of decorative plants. The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about plants (I'd rather get a cat :wah:, but we can't afford kitty vet insurance yet) and I have no idea where to start.

What I'm looking for:

- small plant

- doesn't die if you don't water it religiously

- has pretty blooms year-round

- doesn't require soil changes or complicated maintenance

- doesn't smell bad or snap at various small animals

- er, meows when you haven't watered it recently, but I don't think that's doable :D

What would your suggestions be?
The power of MEOW
Felinessa

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Felinessa »

Thanks, Pinky. I figured that desert plants would be good to start with :D But which kinds produce flowers?
The power of MEOW
cherandbuster

Starter apartment plant?

Post by cherandbuster »

Hello Felinessa! :-6

I myself have gone the route of silk plants -- I am hopeless :rolleyes:

Hubby does the watering for all our real houseplants -- I tend to keep my distance from them so they can live a long and happy life :)
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

spot

Starter apartment plant?

Post by spot »

I quote from a random website - this is the only houseplant that I've kept for years and liked the look of:

Aptly named 'cast-iron plant' for its seeming ability to last forever in the most adverse conditions, the humble Aspidistra elatior is a staple of the shade garden. It has wide, evergreen leaves that rise up from tough, rhizomatous roots. The lance shaped leaves are dark green and leathery, and around 12-20 in (30-50 cm) long. The aspect of cast-iron plant is decidedly vertical. Some types of aspidistra are variegated with creamy streaks or dots.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
4rum

Starter apartment plant?

Post by 4rum »

http://www.plantcare.com/catalog/tepPla ... talNum=327

The above link is to a site describing 'spider plants'. These house plants do not bloom but they are super easy to care for. They are wonderful at adding oxygen to your inside air and are said to do a good job of filtering the air that is already there. Please do further searches on this plant as they come in different colors, shapes and sizes. I have gown them for years. They are VERY forgiving if you forget to water.
Felinessa

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Felinessa »

Oh man, I just realized that almost everyone seems to have a spider plant. I didn't know its name, but now I know why it's so wide-spread. I think there's one in the Sims too :wah:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind for when I go plant-shopping.

I'm starting to suspect that anything with flowers is high-maintenance :wah:
The power of MEOW
Bez

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Bez »

i don't think there's a plant in existience that flowers all year round...but I maybe wrong.....geraniums are good and pretty hardy...just need to 'dead head'.

I have a large 'Dragon Plant' that doesn't flower but has attractive leaves and is a HERO at survival tactics....:D Palms are good, but again, nor flowers.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Felinessa

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Felinessa »

Ah, my mom's cats attack the plants too. They paw at them, chew the leaves, or use the pot as kitty litter.

I may try geraniums - they're gorgeous.

Who's Spot and why was he hiding?
The power of MEOW
Felinessa

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Felinessa »

Maybe he ventured in the real world? *shudder* :wah:
The power of MEOW
Bez

Starter apartment plant?

Post by Bez »

SnoozeControl wrote: I pretty much gave up on houseplants since my two cats like to either chew on them if they can reach the hanging ones, or dig up the soil if the plant isn't... hanging, that is. Until then though, I had very good luck with wandering jews and similar trailing plants. If the vine starts to lose leaves, you know something's wrong (usually it needs watering), and you can trim it and replant the end.

Congrats on attracting old Spot out of his self-imposed exile, by the way. ;)

I haven't had one of those for years....that picture looks great.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
minks

Starter apartment plant?

Post by minks »

African Violets are nice and don't require much room, just remember to water them from the bottom. When the flowers die pinch off the deads and more will come along quicker. They can dry out and be brought back time and time again. Flowers mind you if left to dry out take longer to appear.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
ade901

Starter apartment plant?

Post by ade901 »

Aspidistra - bombproof and grows in the dark. Or maidenhair fern in the bathroom.
ade901

Starter apartment plant?

Post by ade901 »

Sorry - forgot - Spider plants will grow anywhere and you can give lots to your friends as they tend to multiply.....
qsducks

Starter apartment plant?

Post by qsducks »

ade901;1221578 wrote: Sorry - forgot - Spider plants will grow anywhere and you can give lots to your friends as they tend to multiply.....

gawd, that is one plant I can't do...spider plants...they always die. As for ferns, no sweat.

Return to “Gardening Forum”