Gords and Luffahs

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
rainbowsmiles

Gords and Luffahs

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Any gardeners out there that can help?

I planted Gords and Luffahs in late May and they are only one foot high - is that good or should they be bigger already?

My watermellon is huge and has flowers on it but not a single melon yet. I also planted that at the end of May too - is it on schedule or should I be seeing a melon by now?

As you probably know - I'm new at this stuff :p
valerie

Gords and Luffahs

Post by valerie »

It's hard to say without knowing more about it but it does sound like

you might be a little behind. Did you plant seeds? Or "starter" plants?

If you still have the seed packets, a lot of them will say "Fruits mature

in 120 days" or something. The danger at this point is that depending

on your area, you might get frost before you get watermellon!

If I were you I'd try dosing the plants with a good fertilizer. I like to use

fish emulsion. There are directions on the bottles as to strength.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

rainbowsmiles

Gords and Luffahs

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Thanks for your help valerie. I fear the frost will come before they are done growing :(

Is the fish emulsion safe to use around the pets. I've never heard of it. Do I find it at the local garden store?
valerie

Gords and Luffahs

Post by valerie »

Hey Rainbow how did the gourds come out?

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

rainbowsmiles

Gords and Luffahs

Post by rainbowsmiles »

They didn't :( Probably for numerous reasons. I waited too late to plant them so we got a few frosty mornings and I think that may have been too much for them. They were barely the size of cucumbers when the frost hit and now they just aren't growing anymore and they are turning brown. Also, I had them in a very sandy, dry location - I'm thinking they needed different soil. And, to make matters worse, the gourds took over the entire garden :confused: They totally swallowed up my lilly's.

My melons didn't work either :( For some reason they would split open before they were ready. ARG! I'm so terrible at gardening. Someone told me the splitting open was because of the dry, hot weather we've had. Is that true? I watered everything but maybe not enough.

I'm thinking I need a gardening class or something. Everything just turned out bad. I planted carrots that never appeared and hot peppers that never produced peppers - I know... my thumb isn't green.

Thanks for asking Valerie :)

Return to “Gardening Forum”