Peonies

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
libertine

Peonies

Post by libertine »

I hope someone can give me some information (WEEDER??) I live in Alaska, but that doesn't seem to be the problem

I have several peony plants (in bloom now, late I know) that are about 3 1/2 feet high and have many great gorgeous blooms on them. Planted with these, and apparently the same type of peony are three plants that are only about 18" high, lots of leaves, (the same as the big plants) but the buds just harden and never bloom. I believe these are red (the others are pink). All of these plants are on the south side of the house, and all get the same water, fertilizer, etc, as they are planted in a row with the big ones on the ends. We reset them just last year, but the shorter ones have never bloomed, I transplanted them from Idaho at least 15 years ago, and the pink ones took off like gangbusters.

Any ideas. I'd like to see the red blooms, and I'd like to know why they never develop. Incidently, we don't have ants but I've noticed other incsects doing the job the ants do in other places as regards the buds.

Any ideas welcome
valerie

Peonies

Post by valerie »

Found this for ya:

Buds Won't OpenQ)For the second year in a row My peony bush has large buds on it that don't open. The buds seem to be eaten but I see nothing on the plants except ants. I really can't figure it out or find information anywhere on this subject.

HELP!, T.A)Dear T;

Greetings. There are many reasons that cause buds to fail to develop or open. I suggest you need to look at the weather first.Every variety responds slightly differently to weather so what applies for one might not be similar for another. The most common reason buds fail to open is due to a frost or chill at 'just the wrong time' for that variety. I have two very similar hybrids planted side-by-side. One was covered in flowers early, while the other had small nubbins of underdeveloped buds and only 3 or 4 blooms on the east side of the clump. This shows the difference between close varieties and how the difference might be so slight it will variety from one side of the plant to another. In your case a sudden chill at a later stage of development may have damaged just the inner flower parts, but not the outer parts. This allowed the buds to swell, but the contents failed to develop.

Peony growers need patience. Some years they are wonderful and some years they can 'poop out'. Disappointing, yes, but wait a year. Meanwhile continue to fertilize and water to encourage lots of new growth.

If this continues, it may be the plant is planted in a site where it is subject to some other conditions. If it gets prevailing wind (and chill)this could prevent bud development. Or lack of certain nutrients, although this is not likely in most soils. And some cultivars just do not perform well in certain climates.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

weeder

Peonies

Post by weeder »

Valeries information is good and a viable possibility. The only thinh I can add is.. This year I observed the exact condition you described on Peopny plants in this area,, You could do a soil test to see if the soil is wildly acid or alkaline. It wouldnt hurt to cultivate the area around these plants, and add

a rich compost mixture. Also, make sure you use an organic fertilizer that doesnt burn ( like Plant Tone) Always choose a fertilizer with a low nitrogen content ( First Number) for flowering plants. High nitrogen will produce great leaves, no flowers.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]

Return to “Gardening Forum”