Crepe Myrtles

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.

Crepe Myrtles

Post by 911 »

Let me start out by saying, I do have a black thumb, but I try my best and sometimes I can actually grow something.

I have a Crepe Myrtle in my front yard that grows out of control every year. Two years ago I pruned it and last Spring it didn't flower.

This year I went on line and studied how to prune them. Of course, after being in the heat and climbing this stupid tree, I just whacked it down to the branches. The leaves have come back and grown three feet in three months, but still no blooms.

Although, it doesn't break my heart if I've killed it (can you tell I don't like them?), I do hate having the neighbors look at me and call me a myrtle murderer. Everyone has a myrtle in their yard!

What did I do wrong and is there any chance of it ever blooming again. I need to trim it again as it is getting too high.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
jbbarker1947

Crepe Myrtles

Post by jbbarker1947 »

911 wrote: Let me start out by saying, I do have a black thumb, but I try my best and sometimes I can actually grow something.

I have a Crepe Myrtle in my front yard that grows out of control every year. Two years ago I pruned it and last Spring it didn't flower.

This year I went on line and studied how to prune them. Of course, after being in the heat and climbing this stupid tree, I just whacked it down to the branches. The leaves have come back and grown three feet in three months, but still no blooms.

Although, it doesn't break my heart if I've killed it (can you tell I don't like them?), I do hate having the neighbors look at me and call me a myrtle murderer. Everyone has a myrtle in their yard!

What did I do wrong and is there any chance of it ever blooming again. I need to trim it again as it is getting too high.

When did you prune it?
Accountable

Crepe Myrtles

Post by Accountable »

Murmurs of myrtle murderer?
Accountable

Crepe Myrtles

Post by Accountable »

I recommend feeding. You can't murder a fertile myrtle.

*okay, now my tongue hurts*
jbbarker1947

Crepe Myrtles

Post by jbbarker1947 »

The answer is the second week of February. No sooner, no later.
Accountable

Crepe Myrtles

Post by Accountable »

Listen to JB, 911. He's got Eden in his back yard.
weeder

Crepe Myrtles

Post by weeder »

Your soil is either too acid or too alkaline.. Lime will cure the acid. Hollytone will raise the alkaline. Is it getting enough sun?
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]

Crepe Myrtles

Post by 911 »

Thanks guys!

Weeder, it gets plenty of sun. Alakline-----acid----who knows!

JB, I pruned it just after Easter when I was sure there wouldn't be another frost. That's what I was told to do. Maybe that was too late. I usually prune everything in the winter since they are fairly mild here and I don't want anything to grow into a tree.

Thanks Snooze. I guess I did it right. I pruned it, not all the way to the trunk, but left the larger branches pruned to nothing. Larger branches being those 2-3" or more in diameter and cut the rest to the trunk.

Now the shoots or branches have reach to eight feet and are nearing the power lines again. Lord, that sucker can grow! I need to trim it again, it's going straight up instead of a round form. Should I just trim those branches back to force it to go round or completely cut those bigger limbs back to the trunk?

Thanks everyone kiss kiss!!
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Crepe Myrtles

Post by 911 »

BLOOMS!! BLOOMS! I HAVE BLOOMS!

I couldn't believe it as I drove into my drive the other day. I spotted a bit of color on my tree but couldn't tell if it was new leaves or blooms. I went to inspect the tree and !viola! I have blooms. One big bunch, one small bunch and a lot of buds.

So I guess the trimming will have to wait no matter how tall it gets.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Mae West
jbbarker1947

Crepe Myrtles

Post by jbbarker1947 »

What is your latitude? Birmingham or Detriot?

Crepe Myrtles

Post by 911 »

B'ham :confused:

Mae West

Return to “Gardening Forum”