Its almost impossible to have a healthy garden

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Between fungus, molds, mildews and an army of pests waiting to feed on growing things... its almost impossible to have a healthy garden. There is leaf minor... gall.. borers.. scale.. mites.. aphids.. and very snealky weavils. They only feed at night. The committed gardener has two choices.

#1 Get involved using deadly chemicals.

I do not choose to handle deadly pesticides ,as they are harmful to humans , pets, and the enviorment.

#2 Treat pests and diseases organicaly.

You can use soap and H20... bleach and H20 or Horticultural oil.

I like horticultural oil... It wont harm humans or pets. But it does smother the pests.

The most effective and agressive action required (when one does not choose to use deadly treatments) is to cut off... prune.. or pull up entire plant and dispose of it. If you try to treat a sick plant for too long, it will infect the healthy plants in your garden. You will lose many trying to save one. If you are determined to save a plant that you have been nurturing... or one that you have an affection for..

Isolate it.

If you invest time and money in your garden it is almost imperative that you study the basic plant diseases and common pests. There are varieties of caterpillars that are lovely to look at, but can eat your garden down to the ground almost over night.Watching for signs of chewing is a practice that should become automatic.

So... how many of you are very interested in gardening? And what is your outlook on the application of pesticides and herbacides?
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I don't use pesticides in my garden. I use the oil and the bleach solution. I keep alot of plastic fencing around the veggies when they are planted, to keep away the neighborhood critters. This year I have only flowers, and the garden is about 2/3's planted. I hope to finish it over the holiday weekend.
Jives

Post by Jives »

I'm with Chonsi. I use a lot of Volk's oil spray. it kills pretty much everything!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
weeder

Post by weeder »

I firmly believe and always will believe that chemical pesticides caused me to grow a huge (thankfully benign tumor years ago) This was yhe result of my handling the stems of cut flowers that came into this country from South America. Always remember that most often plants that you purchase at retail garden centers have been sprayed. Trees and shrubs are sprayed reguarly by home owners and lawn care companys. Chemicals are everywhere. That is why, in a small area... where we can controll the ravages of disease.. that we remain committed to proving that healthy plants can survive and flourish without the application of chemicals. It is also crucial to human survival that gardeners continue to plant gardens and that man not make himself vulnerable at the hands of commercial growers. I am passionate about any kind of garden. I hold the efforts of anyone who plants the seeds of anything in high esteem. Gardeners have an understanding of life not held or realized (often) by people not connected to the soil in any way. Where would we be if we were not surrounded by the most lovely growing things?
abbey

Post by abbey »

Sorry if it's off topic but...

I only have pots in the yard and i'm plagued with slugs at the moment,

the sneaky little buggers come out at night and eat my flowers, i dont like putting pellets down, i'd rather deter rather than kill them,

i'm coming to the end of my tether now and it looks like i'm going to have to resort to using pellets.

I wonder if anyone had any good remedies i could try?
weeder

Post by weeder »

Alumninum tins filled with beer.
abbey

Post by abbey »

weeder wrote: Alumninum tins filled with beer.:eek: What, drown them?
valerie

Post by valerie »

abbey wrote: :eek: What, drown them?

But, they die happy!!

Another one is to use a couple piles of old, damp newspapers, lay them

in your garden at night (gentle rolls so the snails can get in or under)

then pick up in the morning and toss.

I haven't used bait in years and years. Tamsen used to help me go

"snail hunting" at night, she'd go right up and put her nose on one

"Here momma I found another one" was soooo cute.

Being a predator for them works really well. And about once a year,

(right after I put out my zucchini starts) I do use a tiny amount of

Deadline, simply because my neighbors aren't as on top of the

snail population as I am!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

weeder

Post by weeder »

You know , my memory is getting horrible. A couple of elderly people in the nursey.. just the other day.. told me about this magical solution for slugs.. and I cant remember what they said.... Maybe Ill remember.

I did hear of a good one for deer though(which is a big problem here) A woman spread some of the fertilizer that has turkey doo doo in it in her garden. There is an ammonia smell. The deer havent nibbled a thing.

Heres another good one for voles and moles.. Tried and true. Ive seen it in action. Forget the expensive sensor devices that go in the ground. Childrens pinwheels stuck in the ground .. work like a charm.
weeder

Post by weeder »

abbey wrote: :eek: What, drown them?
Yes Abbey... they must be drowned:(
valerie

Post by valerie »

Wow weeder the children's pinwheels sounds like another good

inexpensive option!

I don't have moles or voles.

Have you ever tried the copper strips for slugs? Supposedly they

won't crawl across that... or what is that stuff that "cuts" them?

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

weeder

Post by weeder »

The pinwheels click on the sticks.. and the vibration goes into the ground.

I have never heard of the copper strips. There is something called dio something earth that is also supposed to work. Its difficult to find and very expensive.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

U have pretty much given up on trying to plant a garden here. The soil has so much clay, it is hard to grow anything without giving the garden more time than I have to give. I was really hoping to have some nice flowers and veggies, but no luck. I have had good luck with tomatos, but that is about it.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Clay is good soil. It needs to be ammended. New York has great soil. It would be hard work to prepare the ground for your garden.. but it can be done. Once done, it will always be done and ready. I would suggest renting a tiller. Till the area you want to plant. Work in a product called permatil... along with black gold compost. You may need topsoil. I dont know without seeing the area. Till until the ground is the consistency you want. You will know, The soil should be able to run from your fingers when picked up. Not like sand... but not sticky like clay. Add peat moss to holes you dig for shrubs. Mulch everthing. with good triple cut oal mulch. the mulch will turn to soil over the course of a year. Your soil will get better every year, Do not choke the base of your plants with the mulch. Usr straw to keep weeds down between rows of vegetables. Hurry up.... Youve still got a little time.
Bez

Post by Bez »

abbey wrote: Sorry if it's off topic but...

I only have pots in the yard and i'm plagued with slugs at the moment,

the sneaky little buggers come out at night and eat my flowers, i dont like putting pellets down, i'd rather deter rather than kill them,

i'm coming to the end of my tether now and it looks like i'm going to have to resort to using pellets.

I wonder if anyone had any good remedies i could try?

I've heard that smearing vaseline round the pots stops them climbing up...haven't tried it myself though. Tried copper strip unsuccessfully.

Sorry, but Im brutal with slugs and snails. I use pellets and sometimes i go out and sprinkle salt on them when I'm really desperate.....just being honest here folks.:o
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
weeder

Post by weeder »

Seeing plants grow in England gave me a whole new perspective on gardening. Here, when choosing plants,, the number 1 question is sun or shade? There is so much more to it. The conditions in England made me realize you can grow plant that requires sun in a lot less sun... if the other factors are present. Moisture and humidity. I saw huge rhododendrons there.

They loved the cool wet enviorment. Here, the leaves of the plant will often look dry, and brittle. If I had a garden now.. which I dont.. I would spry down the leaves and foliage more often to try to create a more humid enviorment. Since our sun is so much stronger.. it is tough to do.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, sun and shade is the first thing I looked at for my flowers this year. I hope to finish the California poppy seeds, they go in the back 1/3 of the garden. They are already blooming in the planters. That is my holiday weekend chore.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Any advice on keeping Bonsai i always manage to kill them .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Bez

Post by Bez »

pantsonfire321@aol.com wrote: Any advice on keeping Bonsai i always manage to kill them .

My son bought his Bonsai to me for 'intensive care' but unfortunately it arrived too late and the outcome was 'terminal' ....post mortem concluded that it was dehydrated and starved. .....lazy little bugger didn't water or feed it.

They are fairly high maintenance but if you water every day they can be OK. When it comes to re-potting and pruning roots etc, buy a book.....

The same advice for indoor and outdoor plants, with very little soil, watering is the key.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
jbbarker1947

Post by jbbarker1947 »

weeder wrote: Between fungus, molds, mildews and an army of pests waiting to feed on growing things... its almost impossible to have a healthy garden. There is leaf minor... gall.. borers.. scale.. mites.. aphids.. and very snealky weavils. They only feed at night. The committed gardener has two choices.

#1 Get involved using deadly chemicals.

I do not choose to handle deadly pesticides ,as they are harmful to humans , pets, and the enviorment.

#2 Treat pests and diseases organicaly.

You can use soap and H20... bleach and H20 or Horticultural oil.

I like horticultural oil... It wont harm humans or pets. But it does smother the pests.

The most effective and agressive action required (when one does not choose to use deadly treatments) is to cut off... prune.. or pull up entire plant and dispose of it. If you try to treat a sick plant for too long, it will infect the healthy plants in your garden. You will lose many trying to save one. If you are determined to save a plant that you have been nurturing... or one that you have an affection for..

Isolate it.

If you invest time and money in your garden it is almost imperative that you study the basic plant diseases and common pests. There are varieties of caterpillars that are lovely to look at, but can eat your garden down to the ground almost over night.Watching for signs of chewing is a practice that should become automatic.

So... how many of you are very interested in gardening? And what is your outlook on the application of pesticides and herbacides?

Gardenville may be local to my area. They use all organic remedies for the above mentioned problems. I am told Green Light has gone all organic. I use deer block netting to keep out the birds and squirrels. Check out the many uses for Diatomaceous Earth.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

weeder wrote: Clay is good soil. It needs to be ammended. New York has great soil. It would be hard work to prepare the ground for your garden.. but it can be done. Once done, it will always be done and ready. I would suggest renting a tiller. Till the area you want to plant. Work in a product called permatil... along with black gold compost. You may need topsoil. I dont know without seeing the area. Till until the ground is the consistency you want. You will know, The soil should be able to run from your fingers when picked up. Not like sand... but not sticky like clay. Add peat moss to holes you dig for shrubs. Mulch everthing. with good triple cut oal mulch. the mulch will turn to soil over the course of a year. Your soil will get better every year, Do not choke the base of your plants with the mulch. Usr straw to keep weeds down between rows of vegetables. Hurry up.... Youve still got a little time.

Thank you weeder. I may go for some tomato plants again this year.
weeder

Post by weeder »

If you are only interested in tomatoe plants.. save yourself a lot of grief. Plant them in huge containers. Old tires work great.. so do wooden boxes. You can grow all vegetables this way

Return to “Gardening Forum”