A winter garden?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
MsContrary

A winter garden?

Post by MsContrary »

Summer is winding down, at least here in the northern hemisphere. What kind of gardening do you do in the winter?

Do you live in an area where you have to "put the garden to bed" for the season?

Can you actually grow things outdoors?

Do you garden on your windowsill or under lights?
MsContrary

A winter garden?

Post by MsContrary »

Here in California my biggest winter problem is wet cold. Plants in the ground survive if they are fairly well drained.

I put my potted plants in a 4 shelf plastic covered mini greenhouse and then I have to remember to water them because wet dry is as bad as wet cold!

I plant beets and swiss chard and enjoy them all winter.

My house is too shadey for an indoor winter windowsill garden but I have a plant light I use to get an early start for seedlings.
Tombstone

A winter garden?

Post by Tombstone »

We cover our raised beds with a few layers of leaves. Then, the snow sets in. We have no hope of growing anything outside until the late spring.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Gardeners Wanted for 2005. Apply within

An English Country Garden?

:-6
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

capt_buzzard wrote: Gardeners Wanted for 2005. Apply within

:-6 I wonder if Bill Sikes likes to do a bit?
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Brambling wrote: Good Morning, I'm new here, still navigating my way through the maze of little windows, and smilies! Help!

Winter garden? Well, so far this year I haven't had much of a winter garden, climate change or what! Some deciduous shrubs haven't lost any leaves at all, the earth is as dry as it was last summer in places, and the birds are starting to nest already. Many of the frost tender plants I left out( after taking cuttings) look fine. It is impossible to say what our seasons are going to do now, what is certain is that whatever weather does arrive, it will be in the extreme.We need a good experienced english gardener here. ;)
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Brambling wrote: "Good" not so sure..."experienced"..... in weeding, pruning at the wrong time of year, and an impatience that finds it hard to leave seeds alone while they're germinating, does that qualify? oh and I am English, born in Greenwich.putting in a patio is all the rage here at present. I'm sure its popular in Greenwich too. According to the BBC, our weather temp, is up by 11c next week,fine and sunny.
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Brambling wrote: It's decking, that's popular here, and severe pruning of trees, and hedges in gardens, and hurrah! planting the same round the fields. I was only born in Greenwich and haven't been back since, Norfolk has had a mild winter so far, I'm clearing the veg. garden of all the cuttings I put in a year or two ago. They've grown, now I want to grow vegetables again.www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/

Attached files
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

:-6Kitchen Garden

Attached files
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

:-6Lilacs in springtime

Attached files
lady cop

A winter garden?

Post by lady cop »

Hi Jennifer, you did that just perfectly, and welcome to FG! :-6
kensloft

A winter garden?

Post by kensloft »

jennifer35 wrote: I am new here and am totally confused. Hope I am replying in the correct spot. My garden is still covered with snow although I am picking up all the prunings left from last autumn. We have many woodpeckers and chickadees at the moment, also sun, so hopefully I shall see some snowdrops soon. Jenifer35
Welcome to the garden jennifer35. Lots to do and check out. Informative caring, lovely people. You are on the right thread.
capt_buzzard

A winter garden?

Post by capt_buzzard »

capt_buzzard wrote: putting in a patio is all the rage here at present. I'm sure its popular in Greenwich too. According to the BBC, our weather temp, is up by 11c next week,fine and sunny.Weather Temp - here 8C OMG, a brrrrr not a nice time at all.
Tombstone

A winter garden?

Post by Tombstone »

Brambling wrote: Your kitchen garden looks very well tended. I have a problem growing vegetables in that the garden has mature birch, ash, and hawthorn trees which are greedy for water and food, so growing good vegetables is really labour intensive.

This is also a dry garden for the same reason, the trees use most of it, but they are beautiful and worth the extra effort for the wildlife they encourage.

The lilac is beautiful. I have a white double given by a friend, and Syringa Sweginzowii, which is pale pink.

Can you explain how to insert photos from My Pictures. I don't have a web site. Thanks Liz

Hi Liz,

The nice thing about FG, is that you don't need to have a website! You can post photos in two areas. The first place is right here. When you respond to this message or post a new message - scroll down a little bit and look for "Manage Attachments." This is where you upload your photos to your topic. Just click on the button and the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

The other place is in the gallery area. Just click on "Gallery" at the very top of the page.

Try it out!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Gardening Forum”