Ever Talk to Dead People?

Discuss topics ranging from UFO's to Unexplained Phenomena.
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

I don't consider myself either psychic or a "medium." Still, there have been moments when I am totally convinced that I have received communications from the "other side." I'm sure by admitting that there will be many in here ready to label me a kook. I don't care. If I wasn't completely sure of myself I wouldn't profess such a thing.

These "communications" came spontaneously. I was not seeking any communication with the "dead." The message received was always relevant to my life, usually something important, like a problem I was dealing with, for example. The messages always came telepathically, but powerfully, distinctly, and clearly. I would say that in the last ten years, I have had about ten such communications. Some of them were so important that I have kept the date of occurrence, as if it were a date worth remembering.

So, what I want to know, have any of you ever talked to dead people? and if you think you have, are you brave enough to admit it to the internet world?

I'm not here to debate or quash anyones post. Just curious. :)

P.s. Do you believe in mediums? If yes, do you have any favs?
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

How bout an example.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12434
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by LarsMac »

I talk to dead people all the time.

Can't really many of them talking back, though.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Ahso!;1389270 wrote: How bout an example.


I guess that's a reasonable request, even though I suspect you are setting me up far a slam.

This happened at least ten years ago. I'd hit a stretch in my life where I wanted to kill myself. I hated everything. I'd gotten in the habit of slamming God with this hatred and beligerency, both verbally and mentally expressed. One catchphrase of mine when thinking of life and God was "I don't buy this crap anymore." Well one night while walking home from work, I was having these lovely thoughts. My anger--hatred--toward God was high. And after a hateful diatribe I said out loud, "I don't buy this crap anymore!!" Immediately I received a communication, clearly, and unmistakably that said: I'M NOT SELLING.

Now, for all you people that think I'm nuts already, I'm going to make it even better for you. It was God that spoke to me. There, now you have it.

Okay, your turn. I just threw myself under the bus, so to speak. None of you have anything to fear, since I am now officially the atheist's whipping boy in here.

In spite of that alleged communication I strive to be objective about God in here. When I debate I try to argue as one who does not yet know of God. But in a smug little corner in the back of my mind there resides a sparkling truth that time has not tarnished one bit.
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

LarsMac;1389275 wrote: I talk to dead people all the time.

Can't really many of them talking back, though.


Good grief! You're more crazy than I am! At least they answer me! LOL

Just kidding, of course.;)
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

Infinite Stop;1389280 wrote: I guess that's a reasonable request, even though I suspect you are setting me up far a slam.

This happened at least ten years ago. I'd hit a stretch in my life where I wanted to kill myself. I hated everything. I'd gotten in the habit of slamming God with this hatred and beligerency, both verbally and mentally expressed. One catchphrase of mine when thinking of life and God was "I don't buy this crap anymore." Well one night while walking home from work, I was having these lovely thoughts. My anger--hatred--toward God was high. And after a hateful diatribe I said out loud, "I don't buy this crap anymore!!" Immediately I received a communication, clearly, and unmistakably that said: I'M NOT SELLING.

Now, for all you people that think I'm nuts already, I'm going to make it even better for you. It was God that spoke to me. There, now you have it.

Okay, your turn. I just threw myself under the bus, so to speak. None of you have anything to fear, since I am now officially the atheist's whipping boy in here.

In spite of that alleged communication I strive to be objective about God in here. When I debate I try to argue as one who does not yet know of God. But in a smug little corner in the back of my mind there resides a sparkling truth that time has not tarnished one bit.I remember the first time I said "there is no God" outloud, I looked around with my eyes wide open waiting for something to happen. In the preceding years of that day there was an awful lot of dialogue between me and God which kept me from proclaiming myself free from my past and the authorities that taught me God was real. I came to a place in which I needed to claim my life and mind as my own and so I did.

Thanks for the honesty though you had already let it slip a couple of times that you were a believer. Welcome to FG!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Ahso!;1389283 wrote: I remember the first time I said "there is no God" outloud, I looked around with my eyes wide open waiting for something to happen. In the preceding years of that day there was an awful lot of dialogue between me and God which kept me from proclaiming myself free from my past and the authorities that taught me God was real. I came to a place in which I need to claim my own life and mind and so I did.

Thanks for the honesty though you had already let it slip a couple of times that you were a believer. Welcome to FG!


LOL Yeah, I know, it's hard to fake not knowing the truth. :)

I don't criticize you one bit for claiming your own life and mind. That's the way it should be. There's no reason for you to believe in God without Good reason. In the absence of "proof," God is no more real than the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I'll say incidentally that I bet there are many so-called atheists in here that are closet theists. They deny God up and down in here, but late at night, in a darkened room, they pray more than the "believers." I can't help but wonder, are you one of those people? NAW. Not you. ;)
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

Infinite Stop;1389285 wrote: LOL Yeah, I know, it's hard to fake not knowing the truth. :)

I don't criticize you one bit for claiming your own life and mind. That's the way it should be. There's no reason for you to believe in God without Good reason. In the absence of "proof," God is no more real than the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I'll say incidentally that I bet there are many so-called atheists in here that are closet theists. They deny God up and down in here, but late at night, in a darkened room, they pray more than the "believers." I can't help but wonder, are you one of those people? NAW. Not you. ;)Nope, not me! But if you're close enough you might hear me talking to myself quite often.

The members of this forum who are believers are mature about it; and honestly, if you stick around long enough and take the time to actually get to know the nonbelievers (and believers) here, you'll probably change your mind about your presumption.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Ahso!;1389287 wrote: Nope, not me! But if you're close enough you might hear me talking to myself quite often.

The members of this forum who are believers are mature about it; and honestly, if you stick around long enough and take the time to actually get to know the nonbelievers (and believers) here, you'll probably change your mind about your presumption.


Hmmmm...My presumption? I guess..I....have to ask...what do you mean, presumption?
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

Infinite Stop;1389288 wrote: Hmmmm...My presumption? I guess..I....have to ask...what do you mean, presumption?I'll say incidentally that I bet there are many so-called atheists in here that are closet theists. You don't know the members here well enough to make your statement with any degree of certainty. Not only that but you're not in the bedroom or privy to any dark hours of FG members unless you're hiding under the bed, and that'll just get you beat up.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Ahso!;1389289 wrote: You don't know the members here enough to make your statement with any certainty. Not only that but you're not in the bedroom or privy to any dark hours of FG members unless you're hiding under the bed, and that'll just get you shot.


I was merely conjecturing. I'm not presuming to know one way or the other if anyone in here professes atheism, yet prays as a theist. Still, I bet it happens. Many folks are reticent about declaring their self a theist, for any number of reasons. It's much safer to declare ones self a rational atheist than be labelled a nutty believer.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Infinite Stop;1389269 wrote: I don't consider myself either psychic or a "medium." Still, there have been moments when I am totally convinced that I have received communications from the "other side." I'm sure by admitting that there will be many in here ready to label me a kook. I don't care. If I wasn't completely sure of myself I wouldn't profess such a thing.

These "communications" came spontaneously. I was not seeking any communication with the "dead." The message received was always relevant to my life, usually something important, like a problem I was dealing with, for example. The messages always came telepathically, but powerfully, distinctly, and clearly. I would say that in the last ten years, I have had about ten such communications. Some of them were so important that I have kept the date of occurrence, as if it were a date worth remembering.

So, what I want to know, have any of you ever talked to dead people? and if you think you have, are you brave enough to admit it to the internet world?

I'm not here to debate or quash anyones post. Just curious. :)

P.s. Do you believe in mediums? If yes, do you have any favs?


Ummm people aren't talking to you and it has nothing to do with any pyshcotic problem you have . sometimes the mind talks to us in an unconsconsous state. It's actually like dreaming. it's a condition where people hear voices under stress.

I'll look it up and give you the name of the condition .
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

David Copolov: Well a series of studies by our group and others has shown that during hallucinations there are regions of the brain that become active. And those regions commonly involve the regions of the brain, the temporal lobe under the temple that are associated with the processing of normal sounds. So it's as if the brain is being tricked, or the person is being tricked into believing that these voices are actually occurring because there's spontaneous activation of these hearing regions of the brain. There is also activation of regions of the brain, especially the hippocampu,s that are associated with the processing of memory, which is why we believe it's a combination of reactivation of memories with the false perception of external or internal voices.

Have you heard of phantom limb syndrome, where a person who might have had an amputation can feel their arm or leg even though the leg has been amputated? It's the part of the brain that is deprived of input from that region of the body, the brain responds to a lack of input by activity. So in hallucinations, auditory hallucinations, even though we've shown that there are subtle abnormalities of the hearing brain but not deafness as such, the evidence is that those base line abnormalities actually give rise to spontaneous eruptions within the dysfunctional hearing brain that then gives rise to this experience of hearing voices.


Hearing Voices - the invisible intruders - All In The Mind - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Actually 10% of the population have this condition or hear voices at certain times.....you're not special.
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

Infinite Stop;1389292 wrote: Still, I bet it happens.You're quite right, I think. The mind is like the body in that regard; it responds to how we train and teach it. If one is raised to eat squash or pea soup, for example, and you continue to thrive and survive, the body learns that squash and peas are probably a good and necessary part of your diet. We can even carry this further to say, alcohol or cigarettes; the body will adapt best it can to do it's part in one's survival, and it'll die in that effort because it has no choice if the individual insists on the behavior.

Well, the mind is the same way when it comes to myth. Whatever one feeds it, as long as there is no threat to the survival of the individual, the mind will accept and even go as far as to enhance the myth through imaginary events and enhancements to reality. It's quite amazing really. It's taken billions of years of slow random, albeit deliberate change to create that person you see in the mirror.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Lon
Posts: 9476
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Lon »

First let me say emphatically that I do not believe in Mediums or in someone's claimed ability to communicate with those that have passed on. Now having said that, let me add that I have witnessed, participated and heard many things for which I have no logical explanation. My personal experiences were in the mid and late 50's and took place in some ones home as well as a resort where there was a annual meeting of Internationally acclaimed Mediums and a hundred or so of mostly believers. The reason that I don't believe is that I see no beneficial good in the supposed contacts. The supposed communications were superficial and meaningless-----like---"I am fine and at peace here"---- "be good and stay happy"----"uncle Bill wishes you well" etc. etc. Never did anyone on the other side say---------"Let me tell you where I hid the money" or say anything of material significance.

My observation of all this is that most of the attendees had lost a family member that they just couldn't forget and get on with their life------also-----since the sessions (seances) cost $$$$$ most of the attendees were pretty well of financially. These two things are what brings out the CYNIC in me. Many of those heading up the sessions were academically credentialed which I suppose could add to the credibility of all their proceedings, or perhaps pay much better than Academia. :-3
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Fuzzy, did it say auditory hallucinations are the only reason to hear voices? Were any other reasons given?
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Never did anyone on the other side say---------"Let me tell you where I hid the money"


Dont you hate that?
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

AnneBoleyn;1389303 wrote: Fuzzy, did it say auditory hallucinations are the only reason to hear voices? Were any other reasons given?


It's a discussion on hearing voices without being in any way psychotic or having any mental illness. the link is there if you want to have a read.

See the thing is people want to put meanings to hearing voices . Some say it's "from the other side" some htink it's a dead relative and it may even be their voice. but it's actually a normal human condition . Dont ya just hate science? it takes all the fun out of living in this crazy world .lol
User avatar
Lon
Posts: 9476
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Lon »

Infinite Stop Said:

Many folks are reticent about declaring their self a theist, for any number of reasons. It's much safer to declare ones self a rational atheist than be labelled a nutty believer.




I absolutely don't believe that statement. It seems like every politician and large numbers of sports figures have no difficulty in declaring their Christian beliefs ad nauseam and in many parts of the U.S. to not do so will get you ostracized.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

religious blackmail....nice eh?
User avatar
rajakrsna
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by rajakrsna »

I often receive communications from dead people spontaneously when I hear a particular tune from the radio that reminds me of the person who is already dead. Or images suddenly manifesting in my mind say an image AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada or Krishna himself. When I see this Old Guy or Boy I felt I have been electrocuted or I feel in my skin electrical sensations ( goose flesh) running from my back to my head as if my hair was being pulled. Similar to suddenly being horrified at a horror movie you are watching. But the former is different because you don`t feel cold but warm. Then you feel this indescribable emotion which makes you either laugh or cry. Similar to the feeling of being alone, in grief in the midst of the hilarity engulfing you. It comes to you while driving as you listen to your favorite FM music or when you are taking a shower. The frequency if its regular your mind starts to become accustomed to it as you try to suppress if it spontaneously appears while you are with friends drinking beer or smoking a cigarette lest they think you are crazy.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by K.Snyder »

I honestly think the more questions one asks the more probable it is they will get an answer. It's whether or not the answer means anything is what's up for debate. If it means something to you then who cares about anything else?

If "god" means something to you, fantastic!

It's when we as people expect others will hear those voices that those other people begin to question you.

Keep it. Share it. Don't sell it.
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

fuzzywuzzy;1389297 wrote: Ummm people aren't talking to you and it has nothing to do with any pyshcotic problem you have . sometimes the mind talks to us in an unconsconsous state. It's actually like dreaming. it's a condition where people hear voices under stress.

I'll look it up and give you the name of the condition .


At least you were kind enough to refrain from calling me crazy. :)

Yeah, please look into that for me. I can't wait to find out my condition--LOL > NOT

No, I can assure you, it's not a condition due to stress or dreaming. I can tell you with complete confidence it's a communication from the "other side." It's a force or an energy that comes upon me, from outside me, with great strength and clarity. It's a simple case of recognizing it for what it truly is: a telepathic communication from the spirit world, whatever the spirit world may be.

Really, I would expect nine out of ten people to come in here and tell me the same thing you did. It would be shocking if everyone strolled into this thread and said, "Gosh, Infinite, we are so happy that you have been receiving communications from dead people." That's not going to happen. If you have not yourself received such a communication, then I understand your clinical and skeptical response. Before my first communication I was the same way. I always looked for the rational explanation, and wouldn't even consider as possible the spirit world, or that any spirit could communicate to us in the flesh. But it was amazing how subtle the transformation in my thinking was when it DID happen to me. It was as easy as falling off a log. What shocks me is that I wasn't shocked. However in that one instance, my reality was changed forever. I then knew that there existed the "other side." I can just imagine what full time, genuine mediums go through, with people constantly telling them they are nuts or frauds (of course many are frauds.) After a while the evidence for the spirit world simply became to great for me to ignore. Not only because of my own experiences, but also the experiences of genuine mediums whose good work is too convincing to ignore.
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Ahso!;1389300 wrote: You're quite right, I think. The mind is like the body in that regard; it responds to how we train and teach it. If one is raised to eat squash or pea soup, for example, and you continue to thrive and survive, the body learns that squash and peas are probably a good and necessary part of your diet. We can even carry this further to say, alcohol or cigarettes; the body will adapt best it can to do it's part in one's survival, and it'll die in that effort because it has no choice if the individual insists on the behavior.

Well, the mind is the same way when it comes to myth. Whatever one feeds it, as long as there is no threat to the survival of the individual, the mind will accept and even go as far as to enhance the myth through imaginary events and enhancements to reality. It's quite amazing really. It's taken billions of years of slow random, albeit deliberate change to create that person you see in the mirror.


But I need to say, my mind was not at all "trained" or taught to believe in the spirit world or spirit communication. I'm not saying that I wasn't exposed to those kinds of teachings--I was. But as a middle-aged adult I was like you. I took a strictly logical, rational approach to life. If my senses could not detect it, then I'll be damned if I'm going to believe it, whatever it may happen to be. So actually the opposite was true for me: I was confronted with the supernatural in my early life but rejected it. Yet when it happened to me, my knowledge base was immediately expanded. What used to be untrue and inconceivable was now true and fully conceived.

By the way, I think you've shown great restraint in this thread. I half-expected you to fire-up the other villagers and hunt me down like they did the monster in that old Frankenstein movie. I must be seeing your softer side here. ;)
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

K.Snyder;1389340 wrote: I honestly think the more questions one asks the more probable it is they will get an answer. It's whether or not the answer means anything is what's up for debate. If it means something to you then who cares about anything else?

If "god" means something to you, fantastic!

It's when we as people expect others will hear those voices that those other people begin to question you.

Keep it. Share it. Don't sell it.


Fair enough. Just so there's no mistake, I for one am not selling anything; just keeping and sharing, as you say. I hate breaking the rules ;)
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Lon;1389315 wrote: Infinite Stop Said:

Many folks are reticent about declaring their self a theist, for any number of reasons. It's much safer to declare ones self a rational atheist than be labelled a nutty believer.


I absolutely don't believe that statement. It seems like every politician and large numbers of sports figures have no difficulty in declaring their Christian beliefs ad nauseam and in many parts of the U.S. to not do so will get you ostracized.--LON
I was merely generalizing. I do believe many folks are reticent about declaring their theistic beliefs, especially in a religious forum, where if one professes a belief in God or religion, they risk losing a preferred vantage from which to argue (as I just did in this thread.) And I'll add somewhat facetiously that some politicians stand to benefit by being a religious hypocrite, depending on their political affiliations and constituents. And most athletes want to win, so why not a rabbit's foot or a rubber Jesus on the dash? Hey, if I had a chance to make millions playing sports, I'd want Jesus on my team too. To hell with what people think. ;)

Does that mean that all politicians or athletes are religious frauds? No, of course not. I mention only the possibility that some are, in response to your post.
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

rajakrsna;1389332 wrote: I often receive communications from dead people spontaneously when I hear a particular tune from the radio that reminds me of the person who is already dead. Or images suddenly manifesting in my mind say an image AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada or Krishna himself. When I see this Old Guy or Boy I felt I have been electrocuted or I feel in my skin electrical sensations ( goose flesh) running from my back to my head as if my hair was being pulled. Similar to suddenly being horrified at a horror movie you are watching. But the former is different because you don`t feel cold but warm. Then you feel this indescribable emotion which makes you either laugh or cry. Similar to the feeling of being alone, in grief in the midst of the hilarity engulfing you. It comes to you while driving as you listen to your favorite FM music or when you are taking a shower. The frequency if its regular your mind starts to become accustomed to it as you try to suppress if it spontaneously appears while you are with friends drinking beer or smoking a cigarette lest they think you are crazy.


Well I certainly understand where you are coming from. There can be great emotional value in remembering the deceased. But I politely disagree that anything that you have here contitutes a true communication from the dead. I'm not talking about an "indescribable emotion," or some feeling that comes from "being alone," or the emotional response one may get from listening to their "favorite FM music."

No, I'm talking about an unmistakable, clear, direct telepathic communication in which one knows, knows, KNOWS, they have just received a communication from the "other side." That's what I have experienced almost a dozen times. Let me provide another instance where I received such a communication:

In the summer of 2001 I was in my hateful period. I hated everything and everbody, including my family. I was living on my own and received a Xmas gift from a relative, but my hateful self threw the gift away. As I did, I called them a filthy name out loud (I won't say what that word was, but it started with a "C.") Within 2 seconds after I said that word I sensed--unmistakably--a presence behind me, and that presence conveyed to me one word, and that word came to me as clearly as the rays from the sun on a cloudless day. That one word: GOODBYE.

With that one word came the knowledge that "they" on the other side would not tolerate that kind of hateful expression. It was their way of saying, if you act like that, you're gone. I got the message real quick.

Now did I imagine that experience? I can tell you that that message was no less distinct and "real" than any message I have received from another flesh-and-blood person. So I draw a distinction between the kind of experience you are talking about and the ones I have had myself. Again, that's not to diminish the value of anything you said in your post. There's great healing power in the type of experiences you mention, and I respect them wholeheartedly, and have myself had such experiences.

Thanks for your time.
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Lon;1389302 wrote: First let me say emphatically that I do not believe in Mediums or in someone's claimed ability to communicate with those that have passed on. Now having said that, let me add that I have witnessed, participated and heard many things for which I have no logical explanation. My personal experiences were in the mid and late 50's and took place in some ones home as well as a resort where there was a annual meeting of Internationally acclaimed Mediums and a hundred or so of mostly believers. The reason that I don't believe is that I see no beneficial good in the supposed contacts. The supposed communications were superficial and meaningless-----like---"I am fine and at peace here"---- "be good and stay happy"----"uncle Bill wishes you well" etc. etc. Never did anyone on the other side say---------"Let me tell you where I hid the money" or say anything of material significance.

My observation of all this is that most of the attendees had lost a family member that they just couldn't forget and get on with their life------also-----since the sessions (seances) cost $$$$$ most of the attendees were pretty well of financially. These two things are what brings out the CYNIC in me. Many of those heading up the sessions were academically credentialed which I suppose could add to the credibility of all their proceedings, or perhaps pay much better than Academia. :-3


Makes sense to me. The one part I might disagree with is your view that there may not be any "beneficial good in the supposed contacts." In the last ten years I have watched on video or TV about 250 readings, and have read another couple hundred, perhaps. I have seen great value in the experience, as loved ones are "reunited" with their deceased spouses, children, parents, relatives, and friends. I've seen them weep tears of joy at the news that their dead child, for example, is at peace in the next world; or that their father forgives them for some offense, real or imagined; or a deceased friend that conveys the beauty of the next world to someone that had no belief in such a world...and on and on it goes. These "readings" help with closure, and allows the living to go forth with the comfort that their deceased loved ones are safe and still love them. And I have to say, there is great value in just knowing that there is an "other side" that we go to; that alone is profound information, as it opens the door to a whole new dimension, a new reality. That's worth a lot, I think.

Of course, I'm taking for granted that this is all true. There are many that reject this as all nonsense, and that's fine. I guess we'll all know when we die. In the meantime it gives us all something to ponder and argue about. :)
User avatar
Lon
Posts: 9476
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Lon »

Infinite Stop;1389356 wrote: Makes sense to me. The one part I might disagree with is your view that there may not be any "beneficial good in the supposed contacts." In the last ten years I have watched on video or TV about 250 readings, and have read another couple hundred, perhaps. I have seen great value in the experience, as loved ones are "reunited" with their deceased spouses, children, parents, relatives, and friends. I've seen them weep tears of joy at the news that their dead child, for example, is at peace in the next world; or that their father forgives them for some offense, real or imagined; or a deceased friend that conveys the beauty of the next world to someone that had no belief in such a world...and on and on it goes. These "readings" help with closure, and allows the living to go forth with the comfort that their deceased loved ones are safe and still love them. And I have to say, there is great value in just knowing that there is an "other side" that we go to; that alone is profound information, as it opens the door to a whole new dimension, a new reality. That's worth a lot, I think.

Of course, I'm taking for granted that this is all true. There are many that reject this as all nonsense, and that's fine. I guess we'll all know when we die. In the meantime it gives us all something to ponder and argue about. :)


Take the emotionalism out of the so called contacts and you are not left with much even though the recipient of the message might feel good. I think there is a similarity in those that claimed to see visions.I see a real downside to the whole thing and that is in my opinion, people believing in this aren't living in the real world and tend to make decisions based on emotion and not logic or reason. I know personally of failed marriages and horrible financial decisions based on supposed contact with the other side. To each his own however. Could you vote for a Presidential Candidate if they claimed to communicate with deceased individuals and saw visions of the Virgin Mary?
User avatar
Infinite Stop
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Infinite Stop »

Lon;1389361 wrote: Take the emotionalism out of the so called contacts and you are not left with much even though the recipient of the message might feel good. I think there is a similarity in those that claimed to see visions.I see a real downside to the whole thing and that is in my opinion, people believing in this aren't living in the real world and tend to make decisions based on emotion and not logic or reason. I know personally of failed marriages and horrible financial decisions based on supposed contact with the other side. To each his own however. Could you vote for a Presidential Candidate if they claimed to communicate with deceased individuals and saw visions of the Virgin Mary?




I don't think that's fair to say. So much of feeling good is the product of emotion; in fact, all of feeling good is emotion. To me, it makes little sense for you to say "Take out the emotionalism." We can't. Not if we're talking about feeling good.

And as far as those that believe in spirit communications not living in the real world, I have to generally disagree. First, What's "real" is constantly changing. A hundred years ago much of what we have today would have been considered unreal. Things change, and our spiritual evolution need not be any different. It's true, there is a real danger that some may strain to see their loved ones in some paltry "reading" because they are desperate for contact. However, if the information is relevant and accurate and no fraud is proven, then that's not fantasy, but reality. In such a case it could certainly be considered logical and reasonable to consider the reading a real contact with a deceased person. Of course one should be cautious and sensible about such a communication. Any alleged contact should not be an excuse for bad behavior; nor should any life-size decisions be made outside of ones good judgment and based solely on some tidbit that may have come through from the other side.

Would I vote for a presidential candidate that claimed to communicate with deceased individuals or the Virgin Mary?

Depends on all other factors considered holistically. If the person was otherwise intelligent, respected, I agreed with their policies, and there was no history of mental illness, then yes, I see no reason why I wouldn't. Of course these paranormal aspects of the person would have to be seen in the light of good measure. If the person was running to the psychic every other day for advice, or they were seeing Mother Mary every week in church, then perhaps I'd be concerned. Either that, or the person better possess some darn good qualities that render such occurrences less bizarre, though I cannot think of what that might be.
User avatar
Lon
Posts: 9476
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Lon »

Infinite Stop;1389366 wrote: I don't think that's fair to say. So much of feeling good is the product of emotion; in fact, all of feeling good is emotion. To me, it makes little sense for you to say "Take out the emotionalism." We can't. Not if we're talking about feeling good.

And as far as those that believe in spirit communications not living in the real world, I have to generally disagree. First, What's "real" is constantly changing. A hundred years ago much of what we have today would have been considered unreal. Things change, and our spiritual evolution need not be any different. It's true, there is a real danger that some may strain to see their loved ones in some paltry "reading" because they are desperate for contact. However, if the information is relevant and accurate and no fraud is proven, then that's not fantasy, but reality. In such a case it could certainly be considered logical and reasonable to consider the reading a real contact with a deceased person. Of course one should be cautious and sensible about such a communication. Any alleged contact should not be an excuse for bad behavior; nor should any life-size decisions be made outside of ones good judgment and based solely on some tidbit that may have come through from the other side.

Would I vote for a presidential candidate that claimed to communicate with deceased individuals or the Virgin Mary?

Depends on all other factors considered holistically. If the person was otherwise intelligent, respected, I agreed with their policies, and there was no history of mental illness, then yes, I see no reason why I wouldn't. Of course these paranormal aspects of the person would have to be seen in the light of good measure. If the person was running to the psychic every other day for advice, or they were seeing Mother Mary every week in church, then perhaps I'd be concerned. Either that, or the person better possess some darn good qualities that render such occurrences less bizarre, though I cannot think of what that might be.


I agree that feeling good is a product of emotion. I am a emotional individual and feel good or poorly from time to time based on my emotions, however, my emotions are generated by reality. When I hear a voice coming through a medium from my grandfather it does not register in my brain as reality and I feel no emotion what so ever, irrespective of the message.

The only benefit that I see to the whole medium/communication with the dead thing is that if it makes some people feel good and gives them some measure of closure, so be it. It's provided many mediums with nice supplemental or full time income.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Infinite Stop to Ahso!: "But as a middle-aged adult I was like you."

Ahso! has been assuming that Infinite Stop is a young, or even very young, man. Would one of you like to comment on that?
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1389374 wrote: Infinite Stop to Ahso!: "But as a middle-aged adult I was like you."

Ahso! has been assuming that Infinite Stop is a young, or even very young, man. Would one of you like to comment on that?There are a couple of factors worth considering, Anne. Are we reading posts from the same person? If it's one poster we're communicating with, is the person being honest with us?

I'm pretty convinced at least some of the posts in IS's first thread was either written by a young person or a person who thinks young. Not that there's anything wrong with either.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
rajakrsna
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by rajakrsna »

Actually there`s no such thing as the word PARANORMAL. Everything is actually NORMAL. There`s no such thing as SUPERNATURAL. Everything is actually NATURAL. Within us-in everyone`s heart lies the PARAM-ATMA. He is the localized expansion of God in us. In the Bible He is called the Emmanuel. What the PARAM-ATMA sees, hears, touch, taste, smell, etc from the outside though us-the ATMA is simply normal and natural. But because we did not attempt to become one with the PARAM-ATMA we think the phenomenal world is phenomenal. But the fact is it is not. Take for example how your ATM card came to being. Oh well, that`s another story.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by Ahso! »

Infinite Stop;1389349 wrote: But I need to say, my mind was not at all "trained" or taught to believe in the spirit world or spirit communication. I'm not saying that I wasn't exposed to those kinds of teachings--I was.[...]I was confronted with the supernatural in my early life but rejected it. Yet when it happened to me, my knowledge base was immediately expanded. What used to be untrue and inconceivable was now true and fully conceived.Your environment informed your mind early on. It's not surprising that logic and reason was difficult and uncomfortable for you because your brain was trained to think a certain way already. This happens from observation as a young child, you know. It's no wonder you abandoned the new myth you were seeking to replace your old myth with. It takes very real conviction to make that change, ask any smoker or alcoholic. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you either, and though you may not like to hear this - you're as normal as anyone else. And what's more is that when one makes such a change they often appear slightly odd and out of place with a "unique perspective" to others who were informed differently because the past never really disappears. It's like sitting and talking with a former smoker who appears slightly distracted as they deal with the remnants and reminders of their past habit.

Infinite Stop;1389349 wrote: [...]But as a middle-aged adult I was like you. I took a strictly logical, rational approach to life. If my senses could not detect it, then I'll be damned if I'm going to believe it, whatever it may happen to be.I'd guess that if you were to take a survey here and with others who know me well enough you'd probably find that I'm not very logical, and I'm probably not as rational as I think I am, though lately I've been trying to do better in both categories.

And the members here? Most of them are far too intelligent and mature to be led by anyone, especially me.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
rajakrsna
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by rajakrsna »

Ahso!;1389390 wrote:

And the members here? Most of them are far too intelligent and mature to be led by anyone, especially me.


Intelligence + Experience = Level of Common Sense ( scale of 1 to 10 )

If intelligence is 1 and experience is 1 your level of Common Sense is 2

If intelligence is 1 and experience is 0 your level of Common Sense is 1

If intelligence is 0 and experience is 0 your level of Common Sense is 0

If intelligence is 1 and experience is 9 your level of Common Sense is 10

If intelligence is 9 and experience is 1 your level of Common Sense is 10

In other words, you can make up for your poor intelligence with lots of experience or you can make up for your lack of experience with superior intelligence. The dictum " Experience is the best teacher " wont be possible if your intelligence is poor. It should be complemented with lots of experience. Because if you wont try where angels dare to tread chances you wont be able reach your goal in life. & the possibility you`ll commit a grave mistake from this present life is not far. Since life is short by accident you commit a mistake which can not be rectified for lack of time ( old age ) you are, in short, bound to correct this mistake again in the next life ( The Logic of Reincarnation}. Man`s ultimate goal of life if possible if 1 wants to achieve perfection ( CS level 10 ) is to reach CS level 9
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
User avatar
rajakrsna
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 am

Ever Talk to Dead People?

Post by rajakrsna »

rajakrsna;1389391 wrote: Intelligence + Experience = Level of Common Sense ( scale of 1 to 10 )

If intelligence is 5 and experience is 4 your level of Common Sense is 9

If intelligence is 4 and experience is 3 your level of Common Sense is 7

If intelligence is 3 and experience is 2 your level of Common Sense is 5

If intelligence is 2 and experience is 1 your level of Common Sense is 3

If intelligence is 1 and experience is 0 your level of Common Sense is 1

If intelligence is 0 + 0 experience is DEATH

If intelligence is 1 and experience is 1 your level of Common Sense is 2

If intelligence is 2 and experience is 2 your level of Common Sense is 4

If intelligence is 3 and experience is 3 your level of Common Sense is 6

If intelligence is 4 and experience is 4 your level of Common Sense is 8

If intelligence is 5 and experience is 5 your level of Common Sense is 10




The opposite of 9 is 6.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."

Return to “Paranormal Science”