Pied Wagtail playing chicken

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
spot

Post by spot »

I spent some minutes watching one this morning.

They're 5 or 6 inches long, territorial, they live mostly on insects all year round, it's winter here and fewer insects to be had. They need to eat around 15 insects a minute throughout the day.

This one was either side of a busy road into town, mainly cars doing 30 mph. The bird waited for the right moment, took off from the side of the road and flew across the face of each selected car at radiator level before jumping over the oncoming traffic and landing on the other side of the road. It must have come within a foot of each car.

Back and forth, very little pause. I presume the insects are so focused at that moment on avoiding the car that they don't dodge the bird.

That's one finely honed brain as far as spatial awareness is concerned, I couldn't do it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

so you think you know why iy crossed the road?

Return to “The Outdoors”