Winter Birds

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
tabby

Winter Birds

Post by tabby »

I put out a few bird feeders in the winter months and love to watch the various birds that hang around during the cold weather. There's something satisfying about looking out the window after a heavy snowfall and seeing the hungry hordes gathered about enjoying the meal. There's no snow here this year so they're probably fine without the extra energy suet and seed but it's out there anyway.

The most common visitors to our feeding station are blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, finches, cowbirds and doves. I enjoy them all but to me the star of the show is the blue jay. They are so absolutely beautiful and highly intelligent even if a little overly aggressive and bullyish.

What birds frequent your area in the winter?
Oscar Namechange

Winter Birds

Post by Oscar Namechange »

tabby;1381964 wrote: I put out a few bird feeders in the winter months and love to watch the various birds that hang around during the cold weather. There's something satisfying about looking out the window after a heavy snowfall and seeing the hungry hordes gathered about enjoying the meal. There's no snow here this year so they're probably fine without the extra energy suet and seed but it's out there anyway.

The most common visitors to our feeding station are blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, finches, cowbirds and doves. I enjoy them all but to me the star of the show is the blue jay. They are so absolutely beautiful and highly intelligent even if a little overly aggressive and bullyish.

What birds frequent your area in the winter?

We feed the birds Tabby....

In the front I have a Firethorn Tree which we deliberately let grow wild for a reason. Last year, the council came out to put a new gate In the field outside my house and the workers were astonished at the amount of House Sparrows In that tree. They said they had never seen so many In one place which was good news because they are on the decline here. With Sparrows, come Sparrow Hawks so the thorns on the tree give them protection.

We put seed feeders, peanut feeders and suet balls In the tree for them then we have two bird tables for the bigger birds. We put bread, fruit, nuts etc out for them which Include Magpie's, Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Robins, Bull Finches, Gold and Green Finches and Jays with the occassional Jackdaw.

The Mistlethrush, Thrush and Wagtails are Insect feeders so we bring home branches from the woods and just leave them In the garden to attract Insects for them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Winter Birds

Post by Snooz »

This thread needs photos, ladies.
Oscar Namechange

Winter Birds

SnoozeAgain;1381974 wrote: This thread needs photos, ladies.

House Sparrow and Sparrow Hawk..... One Is cute, the other Is a bastard.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Winter Birds

Post by Peg »

When we change the food in our cockatiels bowls, we put it in a coffee can then put it out for the wild birds. We have cardinals, bluejays, chickadees, and finches.
tabby

Winter Birds

Post by tabby »

oscar;1381966 wrote: We feed the birds Tabby....

In the front I have a Firethorn Tree which we deliberately let grow wild for a reason. Last year, the council came out to put a new gate In the field outside my house and the workers were astonished at the amount of House Sparrows In that tree. They said they had never seen so many In one place which was good news because they are on the decline here. With Sparrows, come Sparrow Hawks so the thorns on the tree give them protection.

We put seed feeders, peanut feeders and suet balls In the tree for them then we have two bird tables for the bigger birds. We put bread, fruit, nuts etc out for them which Include Magpie's, Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Robins, Bull Finches, Gold and Green Finches and Jays with the occassional Jackdaw.

The Mistlethrush, Thrush and Wagtails are Insect feeders so we bring home branches from the woods and just leave them In the garden to attract Insects for them.

That was very interesting to read, Oscar! It sounds like a great set-up! I'm familiar with the names of some of the birds you list but not all and I hadn't heard of a Firethorn tree. It's always possible that I know them but call them something different. I'll check it out online at some point this week.
tabby

Winter Birds

Post by tabby »

SnoozeAgain;1381974 wrote: This thread needs photos, ladies.

I agree ... stay tuned!
Oscar Namechange

Winter Birds

tabby;1382099 wrote:

That was very interesting to read, Oscar! It sounds like a great set-up! I'm familiar with the names of some of the birds you list but not all and I hadn't heard of a Firethorn tree. It's always possible that I know them but call them something different. I'll check it out online at some point this week.

The Firethorn Is also known as The Pyracantha Tree Tabby...

pyracantha firethorn | eBay

Firethorn Tree and Garden stock photos - Search results

The bonus Is you get berries In winter for the birds to feed on and the large thorns protect them from the hawks.
tabby

Winter Birds

Post by tabby »

Peg;1381979 wrote: When we change the food in our cockatiels bowls, we put it in a coffee can then put it out for the wild birds. We have cardinals, bluejays, chickadees, and finches.

Peg, I think you & me are close enough that it sounds like our birds are the same!
tabby

Winter Birds

Post by tabby »

oscar;1382105 wrote: The Firethorn Is also known as The Pyracantha Tree Tabby...

pyracantha firethorn | eBay

Firethorn Tree and Garden stock photos - Search results

The bonus Is you get berries In winter for the birds to feed on and the large thorns protect them from the hawks.

Ohhhhhhhhh ... I do know it as a pyracantha! I have one of those and it's usually full of orange berries in the winter. The crazy thing is covered in blooms now because it has been so warm!
Bryn Mawr

Winter Birds

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1381975 wrote: House Sparrow and Sparrow Hawk..... One Is cute, the other Is a bastard.

No, no, the bustard is a completely different species - here's a picture of a little bustard so that you can compare :-

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Winter Birds

Bryn Mawr;1382188 wrote: No, no, the bustard is a completely different species - here's a picture of a little bustard so that you can compare :-

:wah:

Not to be confused with the Buzzard of course.
Bryn Mawr

Winter Birds

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1382190 wrote: :wah:

Not to be confused with the Buzzard of course.

No, the buzzard never knew who it's parents were, poor thing.
Oscar Namechange

Winter Birds

Bryn Mawr;1382191 wrote: No, the buzzard never knew who it's parents were, poor thing. Even worse for The Bearded Tit
eraser

Winter Birds

Post by eraser »

I have feeders up all year. In winter, we get daily visits from bluejays, cardinals, chickadees, sparrows, finches, mourning doves, juncos and downy woodpeckers. (And, of course, squirrels.)

Return to “The Outdoors”