Letterboxing

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
tabby

Letterboxing

Post by tabby »

Has anyone here ever participated in letterboxing or for that matter ever heard of it? I just happened to read an article recently in a copy of Blue Ridge Country magazine and the whole thing was new to me. It sounds like a great way to spend time outdoors hiking & tramping and have a little extra fun in the process.

Here's the Blue Ridge Country article: Blue-Ridge-Country-March-April-2011 - 0013

I did some more checking online to see if I could find additional information and found this site: View Letterbox - LbNA #59471 Lake Creek Trail

On the map, no letterboxing sites are found in my county (it figures!) but there are some in the surrounding counties. Someone has to be the first though, right? :-3
Lady J

Letterboxing

Post by Lady J »

tabby....the version of Letterboxing is quite interesting but very time consuming and outdated. Have you trying Geocaching while hiking? You will find this simplify and as long as you have a GSP or a good sense of direction you will enjoy it!! there are over 1,532,000 active geocaches waiting to be found and sites you can go to for clues...luv a mystery! Zeus and I go searching all the time! We replace our finds with others "things" we found at other sites.

Here is the link....perhaps we may run into you one day!!

Geocaching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lady J
tabby

Letterboxing

Post by tabby »

Wow, Lady J, thank you for the interesting information! I don't know how this whole thing slipped by my notice but I had never even heard of the letterboxing until last weekend! I wonder how many people literally stumbled upon geocaching by incidentally spying one of the containers while out on a hike, opening the container and finding out about it that way. I realize they're hidden but still sometimes the eye might catch one without even trying to find it. This sounds like a lot of fun and even more incentive to find new places, trails & paths to visit. I'm definitely going to look into it!

Return to “The Outdoors”