Oregon's Columbia River Gorge

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

In my travels in Oregon & Washington nothing is more dramatic than driving the high river roads that run along the Columbia River Gorge. Highway 30 on the Oregon side and Highway 14 on the Washington side present scenic overlooks that take your breath away. The high country is primitive and untamed, offering insight into the fact that 90% of Oregon's population crowds in just 10% of its land.

Vista House Overlooking the Gorge

View from the cliffs along Washington's Highway 14

View of Mt Hood in Oregon from Highway 14 near Hood River, Oregon

The Columbia River Gorge

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

You are right breathe taking been there awesome.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

I can smell that mountain air.

nice to see so many places Bob!
Life is just to short for drama.
libertine

Post by libertine »

When 'we' were much younger the highway used to go past the Vista House instead of along the gorge at that point. It was always one of our favorite stopping points, and where my dad aimed for hoping we could make it to there before we had to stop (again) on the way from Eastern Washington to Salem to visit relatives.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A year or so back, I had to go to Portland for work.

It was over a weekend, and I had a lot of time to explore.

One day, I drove over to Vancouver and up the river to the hood river bridge, and back down to Portland.

What a beautiful place you live.

The real treat was when I was flying out, the plane took off to the west, and the turned back eastward, and the sky was nearly cloudless, giving me a fantastic view of the three sisters, shining in the morning sun.

I am planning a return visit next year.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Post by minks »

And it's just as pretty on the Canadian side of the border. I have spend many an hour along the mighty Columbia.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

I take rides on both sides of the gorge all the time. There are alternate roads that parallel the river either high or low. Interstate 84 runs for hundreds of miles along the Columbia River, giving great views of the scenery. This was done intentionally by the original designers of the highway. Oregon is a huge tourist state who's main asset is its natural beauty.

Return to “The Outdoors”