Snooze, Did you watch the final Broadchurch?

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I think I once saw that you watched Broadchurch. Last night was the final episode. Did you see it yet? What do you think about the character they pinned the crime on? I won't say more till I know you've seen the end. Don't want to give it away for you.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I bought the series on amazon but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I've had a glut of really good shows to watch lately, it's been quite luxurious.

Should I put it at the head of my queue?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Very atmospheric. Good performances. No blood and gore. Liked it a lot
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

SnoozeAgain;1436733 wrote: I bought the series on amazon but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I've had a glut of really good shows to watch lately, it's been quite luxurious.

Should I put it at the head of my queue?

There is a glut of amazingly good television out there. A few months ago I started watching The Sopranos on HBO Signature. I started with the final year, then thankfully it began again & I'm into the fourth season. Except for Game of Thrones I've never seen a series on which I'm so hooked. I'm actually angry at James Gandolfini for dying so young. What a magnificant, nuanced actor---in the class of Brando or any top name you can think of. I learned de Niro is going to take over a role Gandolfini had signed up for on another HBO series, & it just ain't good enough. As Tony Soprano says when people die "What are you going to do?"

As for Broadchurch, I think Snowfire sums it up nicely. Tell me when you are finished so we can talk about the end. I wouldn't ruin it for you by giving away any clues.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

AnneBoleyn;1436750 wrote: There is a glut of amazingly good television out there. A few months ago I started watching The Sopranos on HBO Signature. I started with the final year, then thankfully it began again & I'm into the fourth season. Except for Game of Thrones I've never seen a series on which I'm so hooked. I'm actually angry at James Gandolfini for dying so young. What a magnificant, nuanced actor---in the class of Brando or any top name you can think of. I learned de Niro is going to take over a role Gandolfini had signed up for on another HBO series, & it just ain't good enough. As Tony Soprano says when people die "What are you going to do?"

As for Broadchurch, I think Snowfire sums it up nicely. Tell me when you are finished so we can talk about the end. I wouldn't ruin it for you by giving away any clues.

Well ! Game Of Thrones. What can I say. I didnt watch it originally because I reduced my Sky package ( begrudged so much money to them greedy buggers) so I dont have HBO channel. Picked up a lot of vibes about it and decided to download the first series. Brilliant ! One of the finest series Ive ever seen. I got my son hooked and also my Mum and Stepdad. My wife went to her mums one weekend and I planned the whole weekend around a fridge full of beer, a takeaway Indian delivered to my door and a full ten episodes of GOT. Now I have to wait impatiently for series 4.

Peter Dinklage. What a superb actor

Winston Churchill
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Snowfire;1436752 wrote: Well ! Game Of Thrones. What can I say. I didnt watch it originally because I reduced my Sky package ( begrudged so much money to them greedy buggers) so I dont have HBO channel. Picked up a lot of vibes about it and decided to download the first series. Brilliant ! One of the finest series Ive ever seen. I got my son hooked and also my Mum and Stepdad. My wife went to her mums one weekend and I planned the whole weekend around a fridge full of beer, a takeaway Indian delivered to my door and a full ten episodes of GOT. Now I have to wait impatiently for series 4.

Peter Dinklage. What a superb actor

I'm on the third book now, they are as good or better than the series.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

YZGI;1436754 wrote: I'm on the third book now, they are as good or better than the series.

Ive heard it said that the series follows the books faithfully. My attraction was the fact that there would be "an end" to the series because it was an adaptation. I hated Lost and Prisoner simply because I thought I was being "had over". Theres a tendency to see if the first series gets a following and then fill the story out to make it last as long as they can get away with it. They flogged Lost to death. That was never a 6 series story. Same with Heroes. Liked it when it started but got fed up when it didnt go anywhere. So I dropped out

Winston Churchill
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Snowfire;1436755 wrote: Ive heard it said that the series follows the books faithfully. My attraction was the fact that there would be "an end" to the series because it was an adaptation. I hated Lost and Prisoner simply because I thought I was being "had over". Theres a tendency to see if the first series gets a following and then fill the story out to make it last as long as they can get away with it. They flogged Lost to death. That was never a 6 series story. Same with Heroes. Liked it when it started but got fed up when it didnt go anywhere. So I dropped out

I agree on Lost and heroes even though I liked both. GOT stays probably as close to the books as it can, the books are 1000 pages plus so it's hard to keep it rigid to them. This last year of the series seems to have only gone through 1/2 of book three, about where I am. Then I hear they are going to do the same with book 4. So that gives 3 more years plus A new book is in the works.

In the end, who do you think will be the king?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

YZGI;1436756 wrote: .......

I am not going there ! There's been too many shocks as it is. I'm still getting over Ned Stark losing is head...LOL

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

One series I did like was Silk about life in a barristers chambers and the associated court cases. Its a well worn theme but it was well produced and very well acted

Silk (TV Series 2011– ) - IMDb

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Snowfire;1436758 wrote: I am not going there ! There's been too many shocks as it is. I'm still getting over Ned Stark losing is head...LOL

Me too & anyone spoiling the ending for me by reading it first in books or wherever Will Lose His/Her Head for real! The Red Wedding scene was such a shocker for me I was screaming & crying! My son made fun of me until the next day when I showed him online confessions of many people having the same reaction. That's what great theatre is supposed to do---to get you so involved with the characters & story that you think you're there. What a great show, a magnificent treat.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

YZGI;1436754 wrote: I'm on the third book now, they are as good or better than the series.

I loved the first three books, probably more than anything I had read in years, had to wait nearly a decade for book four and was bored out of my mind with it. I think you'll agree, it's an incredibly tedious story that doesn't really go anywhere. I haven't bothered reading the fifth one.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

YZGI;1436756 wrote:

Author George R.R. Martin was asked if he had a resolution or ending to the seemingly endless conflict. He replied that the end would be a cloud of dust or snow being driven by the wind across a vast graveyard full of tombstones.

Winston Churchill
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1436761 wrote: Me too & anyone spoiling the ending for me by reading it first in books or wherever Will Lose His/Her Head for real! The Red Wedding scene was such a shocker for me I was screaming & crying! My son made fun of me until the next day when I showed him online confessions of many people having the same reaction. That's what great theatre is supposed to do---to get you so involved with the characters & story that you think you're there. What a great show, a magnificent treat.
I don't think Snowfire has seen this years episodes yet.

Off with your head!!!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1436761 wrote: Me too & anyone spoiling the ending for me by reading it first in books or wherever Will Lose His/Her Head for real! The Red Wedding scene was such a shocker for me I was screaming & crying! My son made fun of me until the next day when I showed him online confessions of many people having the same reaction. That's what great theatre is supposed to do---to get you so involved with the characters & story that you think you're there. What a great show, a magnificent treat.

I'm with Snowfire, I still can't get over Ned losing his head. He was my favorite character.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

YZGI;1436765 wrote: I don't think Snowfire has seen this years episodes yet.

Off with your head!!!

Ive seen 3 series. The wedding scene that Anne alluded to was a shocker for sure. I kept shouting "Nooo!" to the TV while that was going on.... lol

Winston Churchill
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Snowfire;1436768 wrote: Ive seen 3 series. The wedding scene that Anne alluded to was a shocker for sure. I kept shouting "Nooo!" to the TV while that was going on.... lol

I think we all did.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

You wanna hear fandom's popular guess how it ends? Robb Snow is not actually Ned's bastard son, he's the child of Ned's sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen. He and Daenerys marry and end up reigning over most of the planet since the Targaryens marry their own.

Ta da!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Originally Posted by Snowfire

Ive seen 3 series. The wedding scene that Anne alluded to was a shocker for sure. I kept shouting "Nooo!" to the TV while that was going on.... lol
YZGI;1436769 wrote: I think we all did.

So can I keep my head please? It's my one great ambition!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

SnoozeAgain;1436770 wrote: You wanna hear fandom's popular guess how it ends? Robb Snow is not actually Ned's bastard son, he's the child of Ned's sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen. He and Daenerys marry and end up reigning over most of the planet since the Targaryens marry their own.

Ta da!

From the very first episode I saw Robb with Daenerys together as co-rulers! I must be psychic.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

In my version, Brienne of Tarth marries Tyrion Lannister but they get divorced cos they don't see eye to eye

Thats gotta work

Winston Churchill
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1436770 wrote: You wanna hear fandom's popular guess how it ends? Robb Snow is not actually Ned's bastard son, he's the child of Ned's sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen. He and Daenerys marry and end up reigning over most of the planet since the Targaryens marry their own.

Ta da!

AnneBoleyn;1436772 wrote: From the very first episode I saw Robb with Daenerys together as co-rulers! I must be psychic.
We do mean Jon Snow, right? Robb lost a little blood.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1436771 wrote: So can I keep my head please? It's my one great ambition!

Yes you may. My mistake, I was thinking there were 4 seasons.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Oops. Yeah, I'm not so good with one syllable names.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1436775 wrote: We do mean Jon Snow, right? Robb lost a little blood.

Yes, of course, Jon Snow. Damn! Too much time passes between seasons! It's a wonder I remember anything.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1436782 wrote: Yes, of course, Jon Snow. Damn! Too much time passes between seasons! It's a wonder I remember anything.
I was making sure I hadn't stroked out.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1436792 wrote: I was making sure I hadn't stroked out.

Always a possibility.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I just spent the last two days watching the show and I'm kind of bummed out. The only happily married couple and the husband turns out to be a pedophilic killer. The poor old guy with the news stand that committed suicide after the town threatened to kill him, the woman whose husband killed the daughter after molesting her, the lead detective that took the blame for a cock-up on a previous murder investigation and was assassinated in the press... did I leave any other depressing stuff out? Well acted, beautiful scenery but dear god, the whole thing was so depressing. Oh yeah, the younger plumber threatening to gut the dog if the woman didn't leave town, that part was charming too.

Excuse me while I go gnaw a vein.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Sounds like a lovely TV show.

I think I'll pass.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I know what you mean Snooze. I thought the ending was contrived & disappointing. It's like the writers wanted a shock ending. It didn't make sense, but maybe that was their point. Up to the finale, I did like the show--but the choice of the murderer made as much sense as a stranger passing through town. Not sorry I watched, great scenery, good performances; Brits are terrific at the performing arts.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

It's nice seeing some lived in faces too.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

SnoozeAgain;1436851 wrote: It's nice seeing some lived in faces too.
I'm also tired of beautified botoxed faces. I like real people.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1436851 wrote: It's nice seeing some lived in faces too.

I've got one of those

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

You've got the Detroit of faces.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1436860 wrote: You've got the Detroit of faces.

What ? Hit with a wrecking ball ?

I always thought my features were much softer than that

Winston Churchill

Return to “General TV Shows”