Dr blooming Who

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

Let me make it clear from the start I am not a fan of the world beating, fifty year old series of sci fi drama, known as Dr Who.

I did watch it years ago, when I was a kid, I can see the attraction, I am not knocking the people who enjoy it, long may it continue.

So why this post ?

Why does the latest Dr Who, leaving after three years, take up space on the international news program with speculation on he's replacement and possibly change of gender for the next one ?

Am I missing some reason why this takes up valuable time in supposed News Broadcasts ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Dr blooming Who

Post by gmc »

Yes you are missing something but if you don't get it then explaining won't help you. Why dop people watch coronation street? Same idea different genre.

Golf is a past time that no one in their right minds would take part imo. I have this theory that the reason it is so popular is no one wants to admit they think it's crap. I mean how bored do you need to be before trying to get a ball you hit with a stick down a small hole seems like a good idea?
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

But gmc......my question is why does it warrent News time for a change of personnel ?
Oscar Namechange

Dr blooming Who

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1428722 wrote: But gmc......my question is why does it warrent News time for a change of personnel ? No It doesn't.

I think what happens especially where the BBC are concerned, Is that they Insist something or someone Is a national treasure and end up believing their own hype. So convinced of their own BS are they that they believe the entire country believes Its a national treasure and it's not. They may boast high viewing figures but I'll bet most are children who don't buy newspapers. Besides, those children have plenty of sites on line of keeping up with the latest changes to the prog.

I tried watching It once last year. Some girl spent 10 minutes screaming which Irritated the crap out of much that I changed channels to watch Golf.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Dr blooming Who

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1428722 wrote: But gmc......my question is why does it warrent News time for a change of personnel ?

Maybe because Jordan hasnt had much to say for herself lately and even the BBC cant bear the sight nor sound of Kerrie Katona.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Imladris

Dr blooming Who

Post by Imladris »

Maybe because the entire tv networks have dumbed their output down considerably in the last 20 years?

But I do watch Dr Who, it's a tradition for my daughter and I although David Tennant was better than Matt Smith!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Týr

Dr blooming Who

Post by Týr »

The sole reason it's on the BBC news bulletins is that the producers are trying thereby to goad Sir Ian McKellen into the role, after which he can be promoted to Lord McKellen of Gallifrey.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

I am not knocking the program or taking the pee out of whoever wants to watch it, I am watching a lot of daytime TV at the moment so......since it was known whatisname was going, several News bulletins have carried it as well as several other daytime programs.

I can understand the likes of the Wright stuff filling out the fluffy bits on their programs, but not the bloody National News........isn't there enough real news to fill it out ?

And that is why I posed the question.
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1428744 wrote: The sole reason it's on the BBC news bulletins is that the producers are trying thereby to goad Sir Ian McKellen into the role, after which he can be promoted to Lord McKellen of Gallifrey.

And you have a special relationship with the beeb..................we all know that.
LarsMac

Dr blooming Who

Post by LarsMac »

I never could really "get" Dr Who.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Dr blooming Who

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1428749 wrote: And you have a special relationship with the beeb..................we all know that.

Not at all. Sir Ian and I hob-nob. I do hope that's the right spelling.
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

What is this new affectation you have adopted of double posting ?

(We all heard the first time)

You do move in gay circles............................make sure to circle with back to wall
FG-administator

Dr blooming Who

Post by FG-administator »

Bruv;1428756 wrote: What is this new affectation you have adopted of double posting ?

(We all heard the first time)

You do move in gay circles............................make sure to circle with back to wall

I seem to have a proxy between me and the real world and it's playing old scratch with my messages.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

FG;1428757 wrote: I seem to have a proxy between me and the real world and it's playing old scratch with my messages.

I have heard proxies can make you itch if you are unlucky..................keep scratching and it will bleed.
Oscar Namechange

Dr blooming Who

Bruv;1428768 wrote: I have heard proxies can make you itch if you are unlucky..................keep scratching and it will bleed. Lemon Body Butter stops Itching.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Dr blooming Who

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1428750 wrote: I never could really "get" Dr Who.

Try it from the season/series when Christopher Eccleston plays the Doctor. I turned my nose up at the earlier versions, the special effects are horrendous and I'm spoiled. Eccleston is a very good actor and he gave Doctor Who some gravitas and pathos.

As for why it's on national news? Smith said he was going to be on the show at least another season and apparently abruptly changed his mind which leaves the show in a lurch. It certainly isn't that news worthy but there are Who fans all over the world that are discussing nothing else right now and I guess the BBC thought they'd cash in on the interest of the masses.
gmc

Dr blooming Who

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1428722 wrote: But gmc......my question is why does it warrent News time for a change of personnel ?

It was brought back by popular demand after the bbc dropped it as being a bit naff,. Each generation has it's doctor who. It's part of our culture and is of interest to a great many people. It's not of interest to you but is to a large section of the population spanning the generations it is and as such is an item of interest. There are many things of interest to people that make others wonder why does it matter. Personally I couldn't care less about alex Ferguson retiring but recognise it's legitimacy as a newsworthy event. This is just the variations on a theme.
Snowfire

Dr blooming Who

Post by Snowfire »

Its a million times better than Corrie, Eastenders, and sodding Big Brother

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Dr blooming Who

I was banned from watching Dr Who as a small child simply because It really frightened me and gave me nightmares. In the days of William Hartnell. It wasn't the daleks that frightened me but the cyber men. They still freak me out.
Snowfire

Dr blooming Who

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1428788 wrote: I was banned from watching Dr Who as a small child simply because It really frightened me and gave me nightmares. In the days of William Hartnell. It wasn't the daleks that frightened me but the cyber men. They still freak me out.

I was banned from watching Corrie as a small child simply because it really frightened me as a child and gave me nightmares. In the days of Albert Tatlock. It wasnt the Tanners that frightened me but the Barlows. They still freak me out

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Dr blooming Who

Snowfire;1428793 wrote: I was banned from watching Corrie as a small child simply because it really frightened me as a child and gave me nightmares. In the days of Albert Tatlock. It wasnt the Tanners that frightened me but the Barlows. They still freak me out

Corrie wasn't on air when you were a child.
gmc

Dr blooming Who

Post by gmc »

oscar;1428794 wrote: Corrie wasn't on air when you were a child.

Corrie pre-dates Dr Who by about three years.
Týr

Dr blooming Who

Post by Týr »

Here's the Official Poll.

So, who ought to be the next Doctor Who? It's up to YOU... • The Register

Well... sort of but not quite official. But the BBC's bound to pay attention to the result.

I voted for Sue Pollard, I couldn't resist. The most talented and plain likeable public persona in Britain whenever Hugh Laurie's elsewhere.
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

I will not be drawn into voting for a fictional characters replacement actor.

I fear more people will be inclined to do so than will vote in their local elections...................they have the measure of us......the powers that be.
Týr

Dr blooming Who

Post by Týr »

If the current rumour - Rory Kinnear - turns out to be so then we're in for a couple of great years. It's an inspired choice if it's true.
Bruv

Dr blooming Who

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1429630 wrote: It's an inspired choice if it's true.

Bread and circuses ?

Did you want butter on that ?
spot

Dr blooming Who

Post by spot »

If I may propose a Doctor Who candidate now that the main role is being recast yet again?

Patsy Ferran

Made for the part.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Dr blooming Who

Post by FourPart »

I've not watched it for years, but I had to laugh at this....

UKIP Supporters React to the ‘New’ Doctor Who! – IRBF
spot

Dr blooming Who

Post by spot »

I'm so pleased they threw themselves onto the bait, that's very funny.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Dr blooming Who

Post by magentaflame »

FourPart;1506261 wrote: I've not watched it for years, but I had to laugh at this....

UKIP Supporters React to the ‘New’ Doctor Who! – IRBF

Now THAT'S a PISSER!!!!!!!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!

Return to “General TV Shows”