Elementary Rules!

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Saint_

Elementary Rules!

Post by Saint_ »

I am and always will be a rabid Sherlock Holmes fan! I've read every book and short story many, many times.

I have all the movies, new and old, comedy and paradoy included (Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother) including the restored and remastered Basil Rathbone box set. (It's awesome!) I've seen all the TV shows of all the series (Including the British ones!) and have all the radio shows. (They're free at Sherlock Holmes OTR - Free Old Time Radio Shows - Download OTR Shows MP3's)

I've got a deerstalker hat and cape, and I even learned some self-defense fencing with a cane I like Sherlock so much! It's kind of a hobby of mine to see if I can use deductive reasoning like he does when I first meet someone.

That said, I'm totally entranced with the new 'Elementary" update of Holmes on CBS. I must admit that having a woman, Lucy Lu, play Watson took me aback at first, but now I'm completely OK with it.

Anyone else a Holmes fan?

Snowfire

Elementary Rules!

Post by Snowfire »

I particularly like the latest series, as short as it is, with Benedict Cumberbatch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)

I would imagine it would have aired in the US

Jeremy Brett , I found a little pompous
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Elementary Rules!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1418013 wrote: I particularly like the latest series, as short as it is, with Benedict Cumberbatch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)

I would imagine it would have aired in the US

Jeremy Brett , I found a little pompous

Ah, but Peter Cushing was awesome
Snowfire

Elementary Rules!

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1418016 wrote: Ah, but Peter Cushing was awesome

Yes Cushing was convincing. Basil Rathbone too.

I understand there was a Russian version too. I had no idea

Vasily Livanov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Elementary Rules!

Post by Snooz »

That's the big argument at a movie/TV review site I like to visit. Well, not "big" since I'm one of the few that prefers Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock over Benedict Cumberbatch's wacked out version of Sherlock.

SPOILER:

Disguising himself as an Iranian (?) executioner so he can save Irene Adler the professional dominatrix was so shark jumpy that he ended up in orbit. Completely ridiculous.

So yeah, I'm a fan of Elementary.
flopstock

Elementary Rules!

Post by flopstock »

Wasn't that crazy about the first show in this new series, but it has been improving almost weekly.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Wandrin

Elementary Rules!

Post by Wandrin »

I enjoy the series as well.
chonsigirl

Elementary Rules!

Post by chonsigirl »

Don't forget Dr. Watson!
Bryn Mawr

Elementary Rules!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1418025 wrote: Don't forget Dr. Watson!

Nigel Stock, obviously :-)
Saint_

Elementary Rules!

Post by Saint_ »

Although Robert Downey Jr. was not any kind of Sherlock I ever heard of, I actually thought Jude Law as Watson was pretty good. He was brave, tough, and thoroughly disgusted with Holmes' habits. Much like the real character.
along-for-the-ride

Elementary Rules!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I couldn't resist. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
gmc

Elementary Rules!

Post by gmc »

Next time I am passing the conan doyle pub in edinburgh I will nip in and have a pint on your behalf.
Saint_

Elementary Rules!

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1418389 wrote: Next time I am passing the conan doyle pub in edinburgh I will nip in and have a pint on your behalf.

Awesome! I didn't know Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a pub to celebrate him in Edinburgh! (A beautiful town that I have admired since I saw it in "Journey to the Center of the Earth!)

What do they have there? His personal effects? Relics from his medical days? I really want to visit the 221b baker street museum, butI heard it was not too good quality, more of a tourist trap and located over a bar to boot.
gmc

Elementary Rules!

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1418414 wrote: Awesome! I didn't know Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a pub to celebrate him in Edinburgh! (A beautiful town that I have admired since I saw it in "Journey to the Center of the Earth!)

What do they have there? His personal effects? Relics from his medical days? I really want to visit the 221b baker street museum, butI heard it was not too good quality, more of a tourist trap and located over a bar to boot.

It's on York Place near to 11 Picardy place where he was born.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland

Did you know homes was loosely based on a real individual?

The Chronicles of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Joseph Bell
Snooz

Elementary Rules!

Post by Snooz »

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, Watson" Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock haughtily announces after being contradicted. Love him.

Return to “General TV Shows”