phones for u ad investigated as too scary the AA grumpy column

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
the grumps

Post by the grumps »

BOO!

sorry to scare you its only me the grumps back on the

GRAVEYARD SHIFT ready to bring you another spoooky story.

A creepy advert for mobile phone giant Phones4u is being investigated by advertising watchdogs after a flood of complaints.

The ad which features the ghost of a young girl haunting a woman in an underground car park has been branded too scary for children.

The Advertising Standards Authority last night confirmed it has received 341 complaints about the advert - the highest number this year.

The ghost in the Phones4u advert terrifies a young woman as she gets in her car

Angry viewers and posters on YouTube have called for it to be banned, claiming it is 'unduly distressing' to children.

Last night a spokesman for the ASA said: 'I can confirm that we are investigating this advert after receiving a total of 341 complaints from viewers.

'It is claimed that the advert may be unduly distressing and is inappropriately screened for children.

we will be liaising with Phones4u and as a result of the complaints we have launched a full and thorough investigation.'

The advert, which is being shown at peak times, features the ghost of a young girl haunting a woman in the style of an adult horror movie.

The woman appears to have been shopping and is on her way back to her car in an underground car park when she sees the ghost of the young girl.

Haunting: A creepy child who follows a woman into an underground car park is featured in the ad

the ghost appears suddenly beside the terrified woman as she scrambles into her car, dropping her shopping bags in her haste. The woman screams as the chilling apparition presses herself against the window.

Then the girl holds up a mobile phone and the tag line 'missing our deals will haunt you' is displayed with blood dripping from the text.

As well as complaints to the ASA the advert has also been criticised by posters on YouTube.

One commented: 'I have to change the channel every time this comes on. When my 5 year old brother saw this for the first time he got so scared he bashed his head and didn't stop crying? all night.

'THIS IS A HEALTH HAZARD. TAKE IT OFF TV.'

Another added: 'The first time i saw it on telly, it scared the living daylights outta me.

'Seriously if they think that's gonna attract customers then they got another thing coming lost another customer!'

Caspar Nelson, head of brand communications at Phone 4U said: 'We always set out to communicate impactful and engaging advertising, which by its nature creates opinion.

'When you look at the frequency and reach of our new campaign, the amount of negative feedback it's received is minimal in comparison.

'We've always followed ClearCast and ASA guidelines around scheduling of the adverts and we will be happy to abide by any ruling the ASA decide on.'

read more: Ghoulish Phones4u advert which shows ghost haunting shopper investigated by watchdog after 341 complaints | Mail Online

AAG

to the 341 saddo.s who complained to the asa i can only say GET REAL AND GET OUT MORE!! this is just a commerical ad.

its an absolutly SPOOKTACULAR ad with some very SPIRITED acting and is really DEAD funny ( ah ah grumps you did the ghost jokes last night... ed)

do we live in such a pc nanny state where a ad like this is to be taken off screen because 341 liberal luvvies didnt like it.

i hope the ASA sees sense and continues to screen this ad but after the 9pm watershed which is where it should be anyway.

so im going to CREEP off now for a cup of COFFIN ( ed grumpy...) sorry coffee.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

There goes another rib
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “General TV Shows”