Guilty pleasures

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

My latest is an import from the UK called "Misfits". I'm totally out of the demographics they're probably going for since the show is about a group of early 20s delinquents that get transformed by some strange and unexplained storm that gives them "powers". Lots of bad language, sex and violence and it's really fun.

Another one that I caught after if had been cancelled was "The Gates" about a gated and expensive community of witches, vampires and were-creatures. The premise sounds ridiculous but it was actually a pretty decent show with some good actors on it. I was disappointed it only lasted one season.
spot

Guilty pleasures

Post by spot »

Not programs of which I've heard.

I do think Torchwood's produced a great season this year though. Your Bill Pullman is a fine actor.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

spot;1368101 wrote: Not programs of which I've heard.

I do think Torchwood's produced a great season this year though. Your Bill Pullman is a fine actor.

I'm surprised to read that, most places I visit online hate this season. I do like Bill Pullman though and I'm madly in love with Gwen.
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

Another one... True Blood. Damn, such a stupid, stupid show. Bad acting, terrible Southern accents, ridiculous and over the top plots but it's soooo addicting. I feel like I should bleach my brain after watching it.
Delorean

Guilty pleasures

Post by Delorean »

SnoozeAgain;1368115 wrote: Another one... True Blood. Damn, such a stupid, stupid show. Bad acting, terrible Southern accents, ridiculous and over the top plots but it's soooo addicting. I feel like I should bleach my brain after watching it.

:yh_rotfl I think you've just summed up what everyone who watches it is thinking! Ugh, those accents really grate me, but yeah, I can't not watch it.

My guilty pleasure is The Vampire Diaries. I think it's meant for a younger-than-me audience but I love it, I like the characters (:-4 Damon!) and it has quite a good back story with it. The 2nd season just came out on dvd, I'll be grabbing it some time through the week.
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

I passed on watching it since it looked like a teen drama with supernatural overtones but I've been reading that it's actually a good show. I don't mind shows and books geared toward younger audiences...I'd have pretty limited viewing and reading options if I stuck with stuff aimed at middle aged white women.
spot

Guilty pleasures

Post by spot »

I enjoyed the recent series of Santuary. The plots are daft, the CGI is finally under control and credible which is an impressive achievement. What I like most though is the actors, it's like watching the Royal Shakespeare Company do SF. All the significant roles have startlingly good performances and I bet they most of them learnt it on a proper stage in front of proper audiences the hard way. It shows.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Delorean

Guilty pleasures

Post by Delorean »

I enjoy Sanctuary too, and another one I found similar was Warehouse 13. I'm looking forward to the next season of that, although compared to Sanctuary the characters are quite flat. And I love Fringe too. There are so many, I'm really loving all the supernatural shows there are at the moment.

I've read a little about Misfits, it sounded interesting, might grab it if I see it at the video store.
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

Have you watched Haven? It's a lot of fun, I think

Yep, I'm a Fringe fan as well. They've gone off the tracks a few times but I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief since I like the show so much. Is Walter a wonderful character or what? He makes the show.

"Alphas" looked promising but Syfy only released the first and seventh episodes on Hulu. Weird.
spot

Guilty pleasures

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1369768 wrote: I hate dolls.I bet the Mark Gatiss Doctor Who a couple of episodes back kept you awake then. He has a nasty mind when he wants, that Gatiss chap. The "dolls' house" they filmed in is a country house ten miles from here up on the Cotswold ridge and the apartment block is... what's the colloquial usage... downtown? down town?

Scary episode, that.

[moved from Delorean's Just Me Again to stick to the topic slightly]
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

spot;1369772 wrote: I bet the Mark Gatiss Doctor Who a couple of episodes back kept you awake then. He has a nasty mind when he wants, that Gatiss chap. The "dolls' house" they filmed in is a country house ten miles from here up on the Cotswold ridge and the apartment block is... what's the colloquial usage... downtown? down town?

Scary episode, that.

Strangely, I found it kind of amusing. Although the landlord melting into the floor was creepy. Amy's starting to get on my nerves a little, although I'd like to put Rory in my closet and take him out at playtime.
Delorean

Guilty pleasures

Post by Delorean »

SnoozeAgain;1369771 wrote: Have you watched Haven? It's a lot of fun, I think

Yep, I'm a Fringe fan as well. They've gone off the tracks a few times but I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief since I like the show so much. Is Walter a wonderful character or what? He makes the show.

"Alphas" looked promising but Syfy only released the first and seventh episodes on Hulu. Weird.

No, haven't heard of either of those. I'll look them up.

Yeah, Walter's great. I like how a lot of shows have that one quirky character that lends a bit of humour to an otherwise dramatic show.
theia

Guilty pleasures

Post by theia »

Mine is The Killing...last episode of this series still to watch. I've also recorded the original (Danish?) series as it's supposed to be even better than the American version.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Guilty pleasures

Post by Bruv »

OK I am owning up to one of my biggest secret pleasures, I find it a little embarrassing to admit because analysing it objectively it is repetitive and puerile humour with flashes of genius.

Shooting Stars..........................anyone else ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
WAMOMMA

Guilty pleasures

Post by WAMOMMA »

I got into the whole Vampire thing (my guilty pleasure over a year now...). Ive read the Vamp Academy series, the Tweenlight stuff (twice) and also another series called House of Night.

Its CRAZY!

But Im not ashamed!

Haha.
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

WAMOMMA;1371442 wrote: I got into the whole Vampire thing (my guilty pleasure over a year now...). Ive read the Vamp Academy series, the Tweenlight stuff (twice) and also another series called House of Night.

Its CRAZY!

But Im not ashamed!

Haha.

Well, if we're talking books! I gorged on The Hunger Games series and my nips get tingly just thinking about the movie that's being made. I can't believe how much I loved those books and they were aimed at the YA audience. I guess that makes me young at heart, right?
chonsigirl

Guilty pleasures

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, I figured out I could use my son's netflix account on my laptop (so I don't have to pay for it) and went back and found old Masterpiece Theater series. I actually am watching an episode or two a week of different ones.
WAMOMMA

Guilty pleasures

Post by WAMOMMA »

You are the 3rd person to tell me about Hunger Games so now I will have to check it out. How many books in the series? For TV, I love Real Hosuewives of Atlanta (because I am from there) and Teen Mom. I am ashamed to admit the housewives bit. But oh well...
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

There are only three and they're quick reads. You'd probably breeze through them in a week.
WAMOMMA

Guilty pleasures

Post by WAMOMMA »

SnoozeAgain;1371465 wrote: There are only three and they're quick reads. You'd probably breeze through them in a week.

Loved HUnger Games. Started the 2nd one this afternoon. Thanks for the tip!!!
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

I'm glad you're enjoying them, the movie version will be out next year.

The Hunger Games Official Trailer HD - YouTube
Snooz

Guilty pleasures

Post by Snooz »

Got another one... The Vampire Diaries. I wasn't too interested in this at first since it sounded like a TV version of the dreck otherwise known as Twilight but I kept hearing good things about it and I'm now addicted. It's got a fun plot that isn't really all that teen oriented since all the kids are sexually active and drink like fish in addition to there being quite a bit of violence. And so many pretty people. *sigh*

Return to “General TV Shows”