The Voice

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

It's a music talent show that started on NBC three weeks ago and little-one and I are hooked!

It's 100 times better than Idol has been in years. They don't make fun of contestants. It's not about how the singer looks. And they have some very solid participants.

This was the first week of the sing offs. Two from a judges team sing a duet and then their judge has to decide who moves on. I guess that once hey have it down to 16, the judges turn the voting over to the public. It will be interesting to see if the public can follow the lead and tone of these judges and make it stay being about the voice or if we will see the teenie bopper popularity contest rear it's ugly head like it does every year on IDOL
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

I'm hooked too.

It was really cool when a contestant had two or more coaches turn around for them and then the coaches were competing to be chosen. Thing is though, with half of each coach's team getting cut I wonder if someone who chose one coach over another will end up getting cut and thinking they'd have survived if they went with a different coach.

Also, I really believe that Blake paired up the first two intending on eliminating Tyler from the start. The other coaches hands down agreed that Tyler stepped up and won the match but Blake chose his favourite instead. I think Tyler didn't get judged fairly.
Babe

The Voice

Post by Babe »

The Voice is one show I look forward to watching. They have some very talented people on it and I too feel it's so much better than Idol. I like the idea of sight unseen. Just the voice that got the judges to buzz in on wanting them as a team member.

I thought it was so cool that Blake gifted his entire team a new guitar. Cee Lo told one contestant that was voted off, that he'd keep in touch with her so he can work with her to further her career. I assume that offer will be made to many that get voted off.

Yes, I too am hooked.
along-for-the-ride

The Voice

Post by along-for-the-ride »

One of the contestants is from right down the road from me.........Go girl!

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/189 ... -The-Voice

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
CARLA

The Voice

Post by CARLA »

Love this show way better than Idol these people can sing and are so much fun to watch.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

The episodes are on Hulu. I don't remember the names, but the 2 ladies that sang the last duet knocked my socks off! The one that was picked has an unbelievable energy.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1359541 wrote: The episodes are on Hulu. I don't remember the names, but the 2 ladies that sang the last duet knocked my socks off! The one that was picked has an unbelievable energy.

She's a little Joan Jett:guitarist
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

koan;1359488 wrote: I'm hooked too.

It was really cool when a contestant had two or more coaches turn around for them and then the coaches were competing to be chosen. Thing is though, with half of each coach's team getting cut I wonder if someone who chose one coach over another will end up getting cut and thinking they'd have survived if they went with a different coach.

Also, I really believe that Blake paired up the first two intending on eliminating Tyler from the start. The other coaches hands down agreed that Tyler stepped up and won the match but Blake chose his favourite instead. I think Tyler didn't get judged fairly.

I agree, but I think it was a country bias. Little one is more into pop and I'm rock and roll... that's pretty much the way our decisions went on picking the better singer in each pairing.

Something else I'm wondering is if another coach wouldn't have the competition rolling around the back of their head. If they want to win, which would they really recommend to another judge? The one they think could take it or the one they could go up against best?:thinking:

flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

along-for-the-ride;1359513 wrote: One of the contestants is from right down the road from me.........Go girl!

Georgia's Angela Wolff gets second shot on 'The Voice' | 11alive.com

YouTube - The Voice-Final Picks-Angela Wolff-Metter GA-5-03-11

I think she's in the previews for this weeks show.

flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Babe;1359491 wrote: The Voice is one show I look forward to watching. They have some very talented people on it and I too feel it's so much better than Idol. I like the idea of sight unseen. Just the voice that got the judges to buzz in on wanting them as a team member.

I thought it was so cool that Blake gifted his entire team a new guitar. Cee Lo told one contestant that was voted off, that he'd keep in touch with her so he can work with her to further her career. I assume that offer will be made to many that get voted off.

Yes, I too am hooked.

Cracked me up when he called her out at the end of the show. I like that these judges appear to be seeing their team as real people with feelings.

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1359545 wrote: She's a little Joan Jett:guitarist
A Joan Jett Pez dispenser :wah:

She opens her mouth so wide I'd swear her jaw joint is somewhere behind her head! :-2 Awesome voice.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Tonight everyone.

At 9 central.

Pay attention so we can discuss later!!:guitarist

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1359729 wrote: Tonight everyone.

At 9 central.

Pay attention so we can discuss later!!:guitarist
I'm vetoed. I'll have to watch it on Hulu the next day. Tuesday is The Good Wife, and if I want to keep my good wife .......... :lips:
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

My daughter doesn't get why the ladies are shaving their heads...lol

Babe

The Voice

Post by Babe »

Very good performances last night and I think they picked them right!

On Adam's team, I was surprised how weak Angela's vocals were up against Javier. Beverly really rocked for Christina's team. Jered out performed the duo of Josh & Nicole on Blake's team and on Cee Lo's team Nakia had his heart and soul in that song.

Flopstock, doesn't Beverly, with the shaven head live in Florida? Maybe it's hot & the "in" look for her area.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Babe;1359775 wrote: Very good performances last night and I think they picked them right!

On Adam's team, I was surprised how weak Angela's vocals were up against Javier. Beverly really rocked for Christina's team. Jered out performed the duo of Josh & Nicole on Blake's team and on Cee Lo's team Nakia had his heart and soul in that song.

Flopstock, doesn't Beverly, with the shaven head live in Florida? Maybe it's hot & the "in" look for her area.

I was very surprised by angela. I don't think she sounded anywhere near as good as she did in the rehearsals. Must have been nerves.

flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Both of Christinas picks have been bald ladies.

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

I agree this week that the people picked were the ones who sang best. I'm also really, really happy to say that I think Blake picked Jared despite who he thought was going to win it. Thank goodness, too! The girl in the duo completely choked and her hubby looked scared shiteless.

It seems that Angela knew Javier was going to win but I actually thought that she sounded better in the battle than in the auditions. She was less strained... probably because she wanted to have a good time losing.

I kind of wanted Tje to win on Cee Lo's team but Nakia totally outperformed him. I don't know what happened to Tje but he just didn't seem to have his heart in it. Maybe he thought he'd overplay the smooth jazzy side instead of competing with Nakia's powerhouse.

Bev sang that particular song better than Justin but Justin stepped the f up!! He did so amazingly well with a song he didn't even know that, for me, he blew away the over-confident Bev who quite clearly was singing one of her favourite songs and could have done it in her sleep.
Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1359779 wrote: I was very surprised by angela. I don't think she sounded anywhere near as good as she did in the rehearsals. Must have been nerves.She seemed to be star struck!
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

I don't like the attitude Bev presented. I'm interested in seeing how she handles a mellow song. She just seems a bit over the top - and not in a good way.

I don't think Javier knew he was expected to when, even though everyone else apparently did.

And I just like Jared. I like his story and his voice. Plus he's rock and roll....:guitarist

flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Last night was my least favorite night so far.

I think cee lo just kept the girls so he'd have the only team moving on.

I think it was nice of Christina to keep someone with hair.

I think the right one went home from blakes team - the loud obnoxious one seemed to be trying to inimidate the other and blake specifically told her she needed to tone it down some. That was NOT toned down.

Adams team did good on the chorus, not so much on the rest and I think he kept the boy for the novelty factor. Either could have stayed, IMO.

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1360298 wrote: Adams team did good on the chorus, not so much on the rest and I think he kept the boy for the novelty factor. Either could have stayed, IMO.Theirs was the best duet, but the whole show was a bit .... eh.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1360317 wrote: Theirs was the best duet, but the whole show was a bit .... eh.

I agree. The judges appeared to be working a lot harder to come up with anything nice to say to some of them.

I just hope they saved their best for last.

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

They aren't airing it in Canada until Sunday. Dunno why. Don't feel like downloading it and ctv has it blocked for Canada online.
Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

koan;1360321 wrote: They aren't airing it in Canada until Sunday. Dunno why. Don't feel like downloading it and ctv has it blocked for Canada online.

Can't get Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.?
koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

Accountable;1360323 wrote: Can't get Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.?

Sure I can get there... but they won't let me watch it. It's blocked to Canadians.
Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

That's just wrong. :mad:
koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

Just seems a little weird that they've only put a delay on this one episode. It's not like they haven't finished editing. Maybe there was sensitive political stuff in there that has to be taken out before they show it or we crazy Canucks will go all Rambo on your asses.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Are you sure it's only for the one episode? We could wait and comment before the next weeks show instead of after it, so we don't ruin anything for you.

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

I usually forget to watch it the night it airs and watch it on ctv.ca the next day. This is the only time there's been a delay. I don't mind spoilers though. Sunday's a long way away to wait for.
koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

k. so we're back on track internationally. The most stunning performance was "Creep" and I'm not only surprised that they guy stole it but happy that Adam consistently goes with current performances instead of who he wants to win. Blake's match was the hardest to watch but I'm glad he did it that way and happy to see he chose the one who sang true to herself instead of trying to make it into a diva contest, which Christina would have done. I disagree with Cee Lo's choice as I think he based it on a single note that one of the sisters hit. The solo girl wasn't given a part of the song that she could run away with. One note does not make a star. Christina, who I think is making some pretty poor choices from the start picked the girl I favoured. Thought Raquel was off on the start but stole it after the first quarter of the song. The other one seemed to hit a bad note and freak out enough to lose her edge.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

koan;1360650 wrote: k. so we're back on track internationally. The most stunning performance was "Creep" and I'm not only surprised that they guy stole it but happy that Adam consistently goes with current performances instead of who he wants to win. Blake's match was the hardest to watch but I'm glad he did it that way and happy to see he chose the one who sang true to herself instead of trying to make it into a diva contest, which Christina would have done. I disagree with Cee Lo's choice as I think he based it on a single note that one of the sisters hit. The solo girl wasn't given a part of the song that she could run away with. One note does not make a star. Christina, who I think is making some pretty poor choices from the start picked the girl I favoured. Thought Raquel was off on the start but stole it after the first quarter of the song. The other one seemed to hit a bad note and freak out enough to lose her edge.

I have to admit I was starting to wonder if christina was trying to stay the most attracive female on stage with her choices. I think Blakes choice was the most obvious choice of the night. He flat out told that woman to tone it down and instead she came out even more pushy than she was in rehearsals. But I also think the other one played into it. Very smart. I wasn't surprised that Devon beat his match out. I remembered him better than I did her from the first go round. Cee Lo I'm losing confidence in.

I hope they kept the best for last. So far week one has been my favorite match ups, I think. Or maybe the novelty is just wearing off...

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

I think the novelty wore off. Now they are being judged for the "whole package" instead of just the voice.
Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

I think Cee Lo is more drawn to the unusual or plain odd, rather than actual singing ability. You can hear it in his descriptions and critiques.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Could someone please explain Christina's decision making process?:-2

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

Team Levine: Jeff winning wasn't a surprise to anyone. He'll be a top contender. I suspect the best singers are Jeff and Javier.

Team Blake: Xenia had the more interesting voice. She has a chance to impress more when she gets to choose her own song.

Team Christina: Yikes. Lily, to my ear, didn't even hit that high note along with all the other notes she couldn't handle. For some reason Christina thinks she did and seems to have based her decision on one note and a pair of red shoes.

Team Cee Lo: I thought Emily had the more interesting voice and a style that makes Cee Lo ask if he can check out all her tats. Curtis sang more dependably and stable but... Cee Lo isn't the most stable guy in the world. I was rather surprised at his choice though I think he actually picked the better singer.

I really hope they all get to choose their own songs from now on.
Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

NBA finals were on so I recorded The Voice. Graduation was last night so I'll have to watch it later.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Based on this weeks performance, Red shoes should be headed home for team Christina and the mumbling girl for team Blake.

I liked the girl at the piano and Jared(WTF is up with the stupid headbands?). I think that the bald white lady took the night for Christina's team followed by the dancing teenie bopper. Frenchie and cowboy - not so much, but not as bad.

I do think an attorney somewhere out there should be slapping a sexual harassment suit on Christina - the way she talked to the cowboy kid. Can you imagine the outrage if Cee Lo ever told one of the young girls that he is always drooling over to take their pants off? Or maybe I just imagined that is how she was talking to that poor kid?

I'm also starting to think that these artists are not as friendly as they pretended at the beginning.

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

They do seem a bit vicious, don't they? I guess the competitive demon is getting to them. Blake seems absolutely genuine to me, though. I liked the girl at the piano, and the poor kid pointing to the left then to the right with the audience cheering was kind of embarrassing, but her voice is so unique I'd like to see her grow. If we're talking Voices, I pick her and Christina's cueball. I like Blake's cueball, but he's not on the right show. Not sure what his right show is, but this isn't it.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Very unhappy to see jared go, but I expected it once I found out that two were being sent home... I must have missed that part of the competition rules..

Christina made the right choices based on voice, but she's worse playing nice than she was just saying whatever popped into her head, IMO.

I loved both CeeLo's and Adams team songs.

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

I was frankly surprised that Christina didn't keep her mini-me, but I was really pleased at Blake's decision. That little girl's voice is unique and worth the effort to develop her ... whatever it is that they develop to make a star. Cee Lo set up the sisters and the country boy to fail imo, so as to make sure the right two were safe. The other team is an easy call as well: the black guy & fat guy are safe, no doubt.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

I agree completely that Cee Lo set them up. I actually sat there thinking that through the whole bugle boys song and the minute they started the practice footage on the poor country guy.

Didn't really care for adams fat boy and to be honest I left the room once the black guy started singing - so as awesome as they keep saying he is, he didn't keep me glued to my seat.

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1361775 wrote: I agree completely that Cee Lo set them up. I actually sat there thinking that through the whole bugle boys song and the minute they started the practice footage on the poor country guy.

Didn't really care for adams fat boy and to be honest I left the room once the black guy started singing - so as awesome as they keep saying he is, he didn't keep me glued to my seat.
He doesn't bring anything new to the table. My beloved thinks the girl will be saved instead.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1361780 wrote: He doesn't bring anything new to the table. My beloved thinks the girl will be saved instead.

My daughter really likes that devon kid.

On a side note - wouldn't you think that with all the money Christina is making on this, she could afford to get her hair fixed?

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1361806 wrote: My daughter really likes that devon kid.

On a side note - wouldn't you think that with all the money Christina is making on this, she could afford to get her hair fixed?
:wah: Talkin' to the wrong guy. I'm not focusing on her head. :yh_wink
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1361825 wrote: :wah: Talkin' to the wrong guy. I'm not focusing on her head. :yh_wink

Oh but you should! It's a cross between a horses tail and that hair they used to put on barbie dolls. I thought it was just a bad wig the first few weeks. Cee Lo's fro looked more natural than her hair does!

She has a beautiful voice, I just don't get why anyone this well off would put up with that mess on her head..

koan

The Voice

Post by koan »

Christina's hair didn't distract me so much as her bleached armpits in the Lady Marmalade performance. She has this insistence on putting her arm in the air and all I could see was neon white blinding discoloration. She's always had bad taste in hairdos but the pits are just common sense.

I was stunned by Blake's save choice. Very very happy though! I'm a Blake fan for the first time. I think he really did make that decision on the spot and I think his reasoning was solid. Xenia definitely has a better chance of winning the hearts of the nation. She just needs the right song. I wasn't convinced that Frenchie was a better choice than Raquel for Christina's team since both are "pitchy" and Raquel can at least dance. The best runner up for Christina would have been the singer/songwriter she cut last round in favour of ms fancy red shoes.

I think the Bugle Boys choice was perfect for the twins. I was annoyed they won the battle round and thought the old fashioned style was absolutely their best chance of making an impression. For Team Adam, I was touched by Jeff Jenkins on a personal level but not enough to think he did what was required to win. If we vote for people just because they're singing to their dead parent then we should vote for people just because they're living in a car. It doesn't work that way. "Sex on fire" was absolutely horrid. But I just don't like that song and Nakia had enough grease in his hair to be a fire risk.

I liked Javier (because he's bloody brilliant) and Casey (because she's bloody honest) on Adam's team. I like Vicci (though she still needs the right song) and the twins (because damn they were hot in an old fashioned kind of way) on Cee Lo's team.

I'm not against the guys, I just think they're in the wrong place at the right time singing the wrong songs.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Okay....this one I have to sleep on. Of everyone - Christina's team impressed me least, but only because I was blown away by everyone else...

I just watched it all again and now I'm going to have to sleep on it...:wah:

Accountable

The Voice

Post by Accountable »

I dunno, Frenchie fell flat for me but I like the other one's bluesy rendition. The two white guys' teams definitely did not blow me away. I think Cee Lo's team is strongest, though our little warrior was lacking a little, imo.
flopstock

The Voice

Post by flopstock »

Javier just sang his final solo. OMG

He was just awesome. Hope they all are....

...I'll check back after each..:guitarist

Return to “General TV Shows”