X Factor

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
kazalala

X Factor

Post by kazalala »

beowulf;1343018 wrote: you miss the point

its not about the song............its about keeping something produced by cowell from being #1..........something which is bland and without substance produced by a production line whose only purpose is to create even more money for cowell....i just get the feeling that once an act has made the maximum amount of money for him he loses interest and drops them.....i couldnt even tell you who won last year or the year before

...the whole programme is incestuous .....cowell and louis are business partners, cheryl is currently cowells biggest product,the show is made by his own company, most acts that appear are signed to him or louis...........even the programme that follows it is 'jobs for the boys' at times....piers morgan is another of cowells associates from britains got talent and some of the guests have been associates (cheryl,susan boyle,danni,sharon osbourne and cowell himself)

its the hypocracy of the show that annoys me......they criticise the contestants for all sorts of things such as dodgy singing and then you get cheryl miming!.....pot and kettle time!.......they complain that people are more nervous this year.......perhaps its cos the judges are taking swipes at each other rather than being constructive....and they are making them do more this year with dancers etc......i think the judges forget that only a few weeks ago these people had never sung in this situation before...it is asking a lot

as for the xmas song......i bought it last year cos i am a fan of RATM anyway.........i shall buy this years just on purpose to do my bit to wipe that smug smile off cowells face :sneaky:

last years choice of a track by Rage Against The Machine was the perfect choice as they are against large business conglomerates or big money producing people (ie 'the machine').....all the profits they made from royaltyies went to UK charities

Its commendable that RATM profits went to charity so well done to them!:-6

But putting that aside, we are only talking about entertainment here,, if cowell has the brains and puts in the time and effort to make a lot of money for himself,, then good for him. It does not bother me,,, im sure Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke, Susan Boyle, Diversity, Paul Potts and now Joe McElderry are not bothered what money he has made either as they are now in the position they want to be because of him. people spend money all year long buying cd's, dvd's etc. I tunes, downloads,, they pay for it because they like it. people have been making money from entertainment for a long time :thinking: Simon Cowell is taking advantage of the opportunities as they arise and creating his own opportunities to make money, i dont see anything wrong with it tbh:-3

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
G#Gill

X Factor

Post by G#Gill »

Then the whole thing is an absolute mockery. Everybody is a hypocrite, nobody cares about real talent, just how much money they can get out of a particular cotestant. Why is everybody so against a bloke who has the nouse to take a risk and make it work for him? OK Simon Cowell is a vain, arrogant, self-indulgent man. He has made a load of money, then he has lost a load of money, now he has made a load more money - some people have that ability, drive and luck. He is driven by money, that is a fact. He has made sure that he has guarrantees with his programmes for the next few years, that is sensible. He is looking after number one. I say good luck to him. I haven't got that ability or streak of ruthlessness which is necessary in the business world. I am not sorry that I am me, and I won't begrudge somebody who is prepared to take a risk in order to improve their lot in this fickle world.

I think Simon Cowell is a very clever man, albeit a little lucky maybe, but I think he has learnt a lesson about finances and securing his future. He has learnt from his mistakes.

OK it seemed to be that Cowell took-over the Christmas No.1 spot for a few years, but that's just how things are sometimes - he is, as I say, very clever !

Maybe the song that was recorded by the winner of X Factor for the Christmas slot was not a very good one, but you can't stop people buying a record that has a significance, whatever the quality of the song, it is still a landmark song! There is a section of the public that will do this regardless.

It is about time people were not so jealous of another's achievements ! Yes, OK, the man (Cowell) is making millions over his various programmes, but he thought of them and pushed them, and got the powers that be interested in the formula. Somebody else could just as easily have done that, so why didn't they? I doin't know, people are strange, they push for somebody to achieve high status and when they get there, the same people jump on the poor bugger to try to get him to fall from his pedestal that those same people put him on.

No, I am not a Simon Cowell fan, I do not like such a vain 'I am the best' sort of person, or his money motivated ruthlessness, but I cannot begrudge him his achievements. Oh and by the way, have you noticed that he is the only honest 'judge' - he tells it like it is, if the act is rubbish, he will say so and not try to soften the blow like the other judges seem to do. He dislikes Wanker because the guy has no talent and people have stupidly voted for him to carry on in the contest - that is what is ruining the programme. People deliberately trying to sabotage an otherwise enjoyable programme. At this rate, there will be no such thing as a viewers' vote, and if that happens, then you can all blame your childish selves.

Oh I do get the point all right - certain people can't stand the thought of another X Factor 3rd rate song getting to be Christmas No.1. And I can sympathise with that. But I think it would be more to the point if a singer recorded a good quality Christmas song, that people wanted to buy BECAUSE IT WAS A GOOD SONG AND HAD QUALITY. A bit like Harry Belafonte with Mary's Boy Child, later reopeating Christmas success by Johnny Mathis, and Boney M, or 'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby, or 'Merry Christmas' by Slade. Etc. etc.,

I've just listened to that RATM on Youtube, to refresh my memory, OK it's a protest song, but as far I as I am concerned, it's absolute rubbish, sorry, but that is what I think of it, and no way does it deserve getting to No.1 at Christmas ! It just seems that this 'band' is conveying that it is OK to rant under the possible influence of drugs, against what the establishment is doing to us! I'm afraid that drink and drugs enhanced ranting like that does nothing for me. It is so much incoherent discordant ear-splitting rubbish ! :-5:-5:-5
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
mikeinie

X Factor

Post by mikeinie »

I think the facebook/vote Wagner people don’t get the point.

It is not even about a Christmas #1, that is not where Simon makes his money, he makes it on the show.

Do you think he cares if Wagner wins or not? I means, sure he would rather have a good singer who can sell records, but as long as the protesters are calling in and voting, then he is making his money. The protesters and still playing into his hands.

When this is over he will just pack up and go do American Pop Idol and make more money.

News flash: it is only a singing competition to the contestants, for Simon it is only a TV show.
beowulf

X Factor

Post by beowulf »

lol!.....where do you get the idea that 'killing in the name of' is about drink and drugs??????.............its an anti-racism song! :wah::wah::wah:

as far as i know none of them have a drink or drugs problem.....the bass player is a fitness nut!..........they all are active in things like anti racism,aids awareness,workers rights as well as political activism

the problem is that cowells music factory keeps on churning out mediocre performers singing bland and repetative songs...........and you cant say its what the public wants cos its what the public gets cos he keeps churning it out and they get nothing else

as for being an honest judge, i disagree cos other wise he would not heap praise on his one remaining act who are not a patch on some of the rest.........when he looks at an act all you can see are the £££££ signs in his eyes

i think we will have to agree to disagree
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

kazalala

X Factor

Post by kazalala »

mikeinie;1343062 wrote: I think the facebook/vote Wagner people don’t get the point.

It is not even about a Christmas #1, that is not where Simon makes his money, he makes it on the show.

Do you think he cares if Wagner wins or not? I means, sure he would rather have a good singer who can sell records, but as long as the protesters are calling in and voting, then he is making his money. The protesters and still playing into his hands.

When this is over he will just pack up and go do American Pop Idol and make more money.

News flash: it is only a singing competition to the contestants, for Simon it is only a TV show.
exactly!:wah:

beowulf;1343066 wrote: lol!.....where do you get the idea that 'killing in the name of' is about drink and drugs??????.............its an anti-racism song! :wah::wah::wah:

as far as i know none of them have a drink or drugs problem.....the bass player is a fitness nut!..........they all are active in things like anti racism,aids awareness,workers rights as well as political activism

the problem is that cowells music factory keeps on churning out mediocre performers singing bland and repetative songs...........and you cant say its what the public wants cos its what the public gets cos he keeps churning it out and they get nothing else

as for being an honest judge, i disagree cos other wise he would not heap praise on his one remaining act who are not a patch on some of the rest.........when he looks at an act all you can see are the £££££ signs in his eyes

i think we will have to agree to disagree
well theres nowt wrong with disagreeing;)if we all agreed it would be a bit boring now wouldnt it:thinking:I happen to have a varied taste in music and have quite liked some of the songs produced from x factor winners ,, and not liked some songs produced from x factor winners.. same as all music ,, heavy, rave, mowtown, R&B easy listening whatever!!! some i like some i dont! if the public dont like it i think they just wont buy it, i dont want to be told what i should like and not like either by you, or a facebook group or Simon Cowell!!:wah: I just make my own choices really:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
G#Gill

X Factor

Post by G#Gill »

I did not say I thought the song was about drugs !! I said I thought the 'band' performed as if they were on drugs. Certainly some of the audience seemed under the influence ! I do appreciate that the 'band' may well be anti-racist, anti-war, etc. but to me they make a most awful noise. Discordant, very loud, distorted, screeching 'vocals', an assault to the ears. It wound me up listening to their video. I can't understand what the point is to performing a protest 'song' when the audience cannot understand the words that are being put forward ! Strange !

By the way, I would have thought that Simon Cowell is not the only record producer!

As regards his 'backing of the 'boy band'. I think that Simon Cowell would be one of the first to say they were rubbish, but I think he believes they could make him some money - they are all good-looking and are 'boys' and very appealing to the female teen audience, all ingredients for potential excellent record sales ! Apart from that, just one small point, of course he is going to back the act that he is the mentor for, even if they are gross, which they are certainly not (even I can see a potential market for those young lads !)

I do actually agree with you that you can just see him working out if the artiste auditioning is likely to be able to earn him plenty of money or not - he has a certain look, doesn't he? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Betty Boop

X Factor

Post by Betty Boop »

Is anyone still bothering with it?
Betty Boop

X Factor

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop;1344480 wrote: Is anyone still bothering with it?

Obviously not :wah::wah:

Thank god that ageing creep has gone!

Matt to win, he did a cracking Nights in White Satin last week :guitarist
G#Gill

X Factor

Post by G#Gill »

Betty Boop;1345826 wrote: Obviously not :wah::wah:

Thank god that ageing creep has gone!

Matt to win, he did a cracking Nights in White Satin last week :guitarist

I think you will find that most of the other contributors have gone to other sites. I think everybody did well this week and I wouldn't want to be a judge, though I'm thinking Matt will probably win, with the boys One direction will come second. But I think they have all secured recording contracts and concert appearances and TV spots.

Return to “General TV Shows”