Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I love some reality shows...one being "Deadliest Catch." It's a fabulous, fabulous documentary show about Alaskan king crab fishing in the Bering Sea.

I just read the Phil Harris, captain of Cornelia Marie, has passed due to a heart condition.

He was my favorite Captain on this show....I loved his feistiness....I will miss him...RIP:-1

Here's what the author of the article said about him...

"Phil was great because he was exactly what we thought a captain would be: Frequently swearing, chain-smoking, and stressing; a teller of tales with a fondness for pranks; a gruff man who’d choose to stay with his ship even when his doctors said it was dangerous; and a softie who’d turn almost poetic when he reflected on the only job he’d ever known."

Deadliest Catch : Discovery Channel

Remembering 'Deadliest Catch' Captain Phil Harris | EW.com
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

My hats off to those crews. That's one job I could never do nor want.
Odie

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1292119 wrote: My hats off to those crews. That's one job I could never do nor want.

isn't it amazing what they have to endure?
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hubby and I watched a couple episodes last night. These men work hard for their money, true enough. One of the young crew members got word of his sister's death in an episode last night. The other crew and the captain were very supportive and made sure that he got home right away.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

This is one of the best shows that I have ever watched. Season 5 starts on April 14th. There will still be some shows filmed when Phil Harris was alive. It's so sad for me that he has passed.

Here's some interesting facts about Alaskan King Crab fishing...

Alaska Crab Fishing Photo Gallery
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'm glad that you also like the show Scrat and Along:-6

Yes, there's tons of money to be made on this dangerous job. On one of the shows last night each member of the crew walked away with their lives and $55,000 for the short season.

I also love Sig..he's my 2nd favorite after Phil...

Oh, the stories you could have told us about your adventures on the boat Scrat would have been fabulous;)

I just read these facts from Wiki about crabbing on the Bering Sea....

'Alaskan king crab fishing is carried out during the winter months in the waters off the coast of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands. The commercial harvest is performed during a very short season, and the catch is shipped worldwide. Large numbers of king crab are also caught in Russian and international waters.[1]

In 1980, at the peak of the king crab industry, some Alaskan fisheries produced up to 200 million pounds (90.9 million Kilos) of crab. However, by 1983, the total size of the catch had dropped almost sixtyfold. Several theories for the precipitous drop in the crab population have been proposed, including overfishing, warmer waters, and increased fish predation.[2] As a result the current season is very short. In the winter 2005–2006 season, 250 boats caught 14 million pounds (6.36 million kilos) of red king crab in four days.[3]

Alaskan crab fishing is very dangerous, and the fatality rate among the fishermen is about 90 times the fatality rate of the average worker. [4]'

I am always interested about the sea and anything to do with Alaska because my Dad was originally born outside of Nome, Alaska and lived there for abit before being sent home to Ireland.
ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

My hubby watches that show.. I've caught it a few times with him.. It's not too bad..
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I invented Alaskan Crab fishing.
I AM AWESOME MAN
cars

Post by cars »

Yes I also love that show KE!!! Those guys are extremely brave to do battle with the deadly seas that they face!!! Especially in those realitively "small" boats!

Guess that's why the legs are so expensive!
Cars :)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Scrat;1292173 wrote: It's one of those things that I wish I had done just to see if I could do it. They make a lot of money and they earn every penny.

Give me a canoe and a stick of DYNAMITE any day!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1292635 wrote: I invented Alaskan Crab fishing.

so where's mine?:yh_rotfl

they have to be the best!:guitarist
Odie

Post by Odie »

omg what was he thinking?:-5

Jake Harris arrested and jailed for DUI.

Over a week after his father died, 'Deadliest Catch' star Jake Harris is dealing with a new set of problems.

Harris is currently in a Seattle jail on drunk driving charges after crashing his car late Thursday.

The 24-year-old was charged with drunk driving, a hit and run - he reportedly rear-ended another vehicle before the crash - and driving with a suspended license.

He reportedly refused to take a toxicology test but failed a sobriety test. His bail has been set at $2,000.

Harris worked alongside his father as a deckhand on the Cornelia Marie and recently attended a small gathering to honor his dad.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Odie;1292949 wrote:

Over a week after his father died, 'Deadliest Catch' star Jake Harris is dealing with a new set of problems.

Harris is currently in a Seattle jail on drunk driving charges after crashing his car late Thursday.

The 24-year-old was charged with drunk driving, a hit and run - he reportedly rear-ended another vehicle before the crash - and driving with a suspended license.

He reportedly refused to take a toxicology test but failed a sobriety test. His bail has been set at $2,000.

Harris worked alongside his father as a deckhand on the Cornelia Marie and recently attended a small gathering to honor his dad.

bump
Huntley

Post by Huntley »

Being in Seattle, you get around some of these guys and others who travel back and forth from Dutch Harbor to the docks in Seattle, and they are a different breed. They really don't like to be called or even compared to cowboys - but that's what they really are. Some do it for the money, some do it for the thrills (adrenaline is a hard-hard drug), and some do it because that all they know.............it's just a family thing. When I graduated high school I was offered a position in a floating cannery up in the Barring Sea, or I could join the army. I knew if I went to Alaska I would eventually end up on a crab/salmon/halibut boat of some type......so I took the safe Army job. Knowing what I know now..............I made the right choice.

Let's not forget the Coast Guard, my wife was stationed at the Loran Station on St. Paul island. When the crazy guys out on the Barring Sea get in trouble, whom do they send? The even crazier coasties!
Huntley

Post by Huntley »

Odie;1292949 wrote:

Last I heard Jake was just getting out of rehab, and now he and his brother has to raise several million bucks to try and buyout the other owner of the CM or find a willing partner who will back them financially.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

OMG...I'm sitting here crying watching the Deadliest Catch show where Phil Harris is in hospital dying. He's saying goodby to his sons....one's going to rehab and the other is crying his eyes out.

Oh, it's so very sad, and I've missed him on the show.

Tonight, Discovery Channel is having an hours tribute to Phil starting at 10:00 PM.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Just finished watching the tribute to Phil Harris. It was absolutely wonderful and really made ya love the man.

May he rest in peace.
Huntley

Post by Huntley »

Amen.
curl

Post by curl »

Remember this show...

Return to “General TV Shows”