are the elderly disposable?

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

two (married) nursing home owners have been charged in the deaths of 34 nursing home residents who died in their beds and wheelchairs in LA. hurricane. i am going to watch this matter closely. these two scumsucking bottom feeders were warned and had much assistance offered to evacuate the patients. they refused. they've got some lowlife lawyer already claiming they didn't have warning!! liars. :mad: Nursing Home Owners Charged With Negligent Homicide
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I heard about this on the radio. It's disgusting.
Clint

Post by Clint »

I'll bet they had flood insurance. I hope they get every dime and never get to spend it while they are in prison.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
CountryDweller

Post by CountryDweller »

Hell no, the elderly are not disposable! Pathetic that they left them behind and saved themselves. One can only imagine the way those patients suffered until the end. Just aweful.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Keep us informed LC, they should go to jail for life. The elderly and the ill people in nursing homes are not disposable!
Lon

Post by Lon »

lady cop wrote: two (married) nursing home owners have been charged in the deaths of 34 nursing home residents who died in their beds and wheelchairs in LA. hurricane. i am going to watch this matter closely. these two scumsucking bottom feeders were warned and had much assistance offered to evacuate the patients. they refused. they've got some lowlife lawyer already claiming they didn't have warning!! liars. :mad: Nursing Home Owners Charged With Negligent Homicide

I agree, their abandonment of the residents was despicable. Let me play Devil's Advocate for a minute though, as if I was the nursing home owner's lawyer. What should they have done that they didn't do, that would have saved the lives of those elderly souls?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Lon wrote: I agree, their abandonment of the residents was despicable. Let me play Devil's Advocate for a minute though, as if I was the nursing home owner's lawyer. What should they have done that they didn't do, that would have saved the lives of those elderly souls?it is my understanding at this stage that for several days prior they were offered evac assistance (for free) and vehicles. they consistantly refused aid to get the people out. they made the life-or-death decision to risk those lives.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I just think they didn't care enough to get them out. Makes me mad, my husband got out of nursing home this year, people like him, the elderly, those who can't get out on their own left to die!
Lon

Post by Lon »

lady cop wrote: it is my understanding at this stage that for several days prior they were offered evac assistance (for free) and vehicles. they consistantly refused aid to get the people out. they made the life-or-death decision to risk those lives.

If that's the case-------------I hope they both get life.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Lon wrote: If that's the case-------------I hope they both get life.they are eligible for 170 years apiece. there was a mandatory evac order in place for them on saturday, the storm hit monday. the relatives of the patients were told their loved ones would be evacuated for certain. i think the state has a deposition from a nurse there also. i believe in lady justice...these two should die old and neglected in jail cells.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That sounds like an appropriate judgment on them!
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Are they being charged with manslaughter or negligence? The radio didn't say.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

34 counts of negligent homicide.
spot

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;127693 wrote: Keep us informed LC, they should go to jail for life. The elderly and the ill people in nursing homes are not disposable!

This thread never did manage to get up to date. Maybe it ought.

Ethics in Policing discusses New Orleans during Katrina and mentions the verdict. "When Salvador and Mabel Mangano were tried in the drownings of 35 people at their St. Bernard Parish nursing home it took a jury only four hours to acquit them".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

This is off topic and I apologize for it, but I find it amusing that posters such as Actionfigurestepho who has not been active here for more than 4 years is still a paying member, or Clint who has not been here for a year is also still a paying member. Why is that? Are they on some sort of automatic payment arrangement and are not aware they are paying this money out or is it something else?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bez

Post by Bez »

Ahso!;1337416 wrote: This is off topic and I apologize for it, but I find it amusing that posters such as Actionfigurestepho who has not been active here for more than 4 years is still a paying member, or Clint who has not been here for a year is also still a paying member. Why is that? Are they on some sort of automatic payment arrangement and are not aware they are paying this money out or is it something else?

Good point...I wonder .........
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1337416 wrote: This is off topic and I apologize for it, but I find it amusing that posters such as Actionfigurestepho who has not been active here for more than 4 years is still a paying member, or Clint who has not been here for a year is also still a paying member. Why is that? Are they on some sort of automatic payment arrangement and are not aware they are paying this money out or is it something else?

Most likely payed a block membership that's still running - Clint could easily have take a two year deal and, back in the beginning when Stepho was active I imagine a lifetime membership was a good proposition.

Back on topic.

Did it say what the grounds for acquittal were?

Return to “Crimes Trials”