Why Was The Death Penalty Abolished?

spot

Post by spot »

jones jones;1374733 wrote: I do believe that there is a great deal of damning evidence against him. In his case DNA evidence may be irrelevent.

You know more about the case than I, then. My doubts centre on two aspects. Firstly, a bullet wound to the hand is scarcely a deliberate attempt at murder, even though it subsequently proved fatal due to the time it took to get medical attention. Secondly, other than the plea bargain accusation by one of the killers, I don't know of any other evidence which isn't circumstantial.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

jones jones;1374738 wrote: The word "earthling" would surely only carry "overtones" to an alien, so don't you confuse the issue by pretending you don't know what the word means.
I doubt that it means the same to you as it means to me, that's all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

spot;1374739 wrote: You know more about the case than I, then. My doubts centre on two aspects. Firstly, a bullet wound to the hand is scarcely a deliberate attempt at murder, even though it subsequently proved fatal due to the time it took to get medical attention. Secondly, other than the plea bargain accusation by one of the killers, I don't know of any other evidence which isn't circumstantial.

I know as much about it as any outsider. As for doubts, those will be addressed when and if the gentleman is tried in a court of law. We are are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

jones jones;1374735 wrote: Kev, my point is that when an individual chooses to murder another earthling, they instantly take away every right that person ever possessed. So, why if found guilty after a fair trial, are the murderer's rights so important?Because the definition of "fair" in this instance isn't agreed upon by everyone. Even with DNA it's never guaranteed an innocent person will not be convicted and sentenced to death. I'm not talking about a question of whose DNA, rather one as being whether or not that DNA can be reasonably explained as to why it's there. But because DNA is seen as such an absolute people are all too ready to convict solely on it.

We're talking about ending one's life. To think that with today's technology it's an impossibility to kill an innocent person is ridiculous, absurd, and begs for a wholehearted revisit of reasoning behind why anyone would agree with it.

If you want to talk divination then say so and I'm sure you'd not only get death but a blood bath that might inspire a remake of Hellraiser
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1374732 wrote: There's a neighbour of mine due to be extradited to South Africa to face trial over allegations that he commissioned the murder of his wife by paying a cab driver to have her killed. In what way is DNA evidence relevant to his case?

Because Spotty, the case you are refering to was a murder committed In South Africa and not England. His extradition was sought by South African authorities after the cab driver gave evidence that he payed him to take out his new wife.

I was talking about Convictions, not, allegations. It Is merely alleged that he was a part In his wife's murder. Theresa May has made sure he will recieve a fair trial. During that fair trial, no doubt the prosecution will put forward evidence or Indeed lack of evidence...

Mere allegations have absolutely nothing to do with convictions based on forensics and DNA evidence,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

The simple fact is the death penalty is not a deterrent, even less so to socio-paths and the criminally insane. Countries with the death penalty also have the highest murder rates. Most murders are carried out by people known to the victim the ones that get publicity - like jo Yates are the exception rather than the rule. Murder is murder whether an individual does it or the state it's got bugger all to do with being beneath anyone's dignity it is a right to kill that the state should not have.

All the problems associated with the death penalty were down to lack of real evidence and the wrong man being executed. With advancing techniques In DNA and forensics, this In the main can now be avoided. There-fore there Is no debate for the debates prior only debated the subject of wrongly convicted.

DNA evidence can simply be wrong (see chimera) or planted. Stitching someone up is even easier in the modern age than it used to be, especially when you have an attitude that DNA is never wrong. Our police have shown on occasion that they are more than willing to get someone convicted because they "know" it is them to assume the evidence will always be true is a nonsense.

posted by jones jones

Kev, my point is that when an individual chooses to murder another earthling, they instantly take away every right that person ever possessed. So, why if found guilty after a fair trial, are the murderer's rights so important?

The motive for the murder comes in to it as well. Never mind extreme cases how about if a wife finally snaps and kills her abusive husband while he is lying on the floor in a drunken stupor after beating the **** out of him. Should she be executed? After all she was no longer under immediate threat. A drunk kills someone in a brawl, how about him? Or a teenager carrying a knife for protection kills someone in self defence. It's premeditated else why carry a knife so should they be killed as well? Someone using a shotgun to shoot a burglar in the back when they are running away should they be executed?

Calling them fiends is a childish way of dodging the reality that you are claiming the right to kill in punishment of someone who did the same thing except without your approval. You're worse in a way in that you cannot plead insanity (I assume) but claim instead the moral right to kill. Funnily enough it always seems to be the religious most in favour of extreme punishments - those who kill out of a sense of righteous anger and claim the moral right to do so are no different from the terrorists that plant bombs to kill those they disapprove of and whom god tells them it is their duty to do so. Sick bastards the lot of them.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

gmc;1374514 wrote: from the OP

Links please to all the other countries where it was abolished. Actually methinks he was just opening a general discussion or having a wee rant to himself.

We did .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1374326 wrote: In some countries it was because of a so called miscarriage of justice when an innocent person went to the gallows. Like how often did that happen? Anyway that was then and now some sixty years later DNA testing has made such mistakes pretty unlikely.

Part of Amnesty International’s stated mission is to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights. Hello! So when an earthling is murdered every single right they ever had has been taken from them so why this bias towards the killer as opposed to the victim? By committing such a hideous crime the killer gave up their human rights.

Among the reasons why opponents object to the death penalty are: (i) killing someone is always wrong, and two wrongs can never make a right; (ii) there is in fact no evidence of a deterrent effect;

Well if killing someone is always wrong then why not tell this to the killers? Maybe there is no evidence of a deterrent effect but I doubt if any executed killer is ever gonna murder again!

Why should tax payers the world over pay for killers to live in prison? Young criminals are not afraid of prison cos it’s often better than what they had on the outside. Three square meals a day, TV, gym, computers, and parole … wow nice work if you can get it.

An eye for an eye I say.

In this country it was becaue the Police were proven, time after time to be unreliable.

All too often it was shown, after the innocents parties had been executed, that the Police had manipulated evidence to help prove their case or suppressed evidence that disproved their case in order to obtain a procecution and close a case.

Whilst this is possible then all the DNA and other forensics in the world is not enough - justice is not a count of the number of cases closed, that it the Governments measure of the efficiency of the Police, justice involves determining the true cause of a crime and punishing those who actually perpetrated the crime.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1374778 wrote: In this country it was becaue the Police were proven, time after time to be unreliable.

All too often it was shown, after the innocents parties had been executed, that the Police had manipulated evidence to help prove their case or suppressed evidence that disproved their case in order to obtain a procecution and close a case.

Too true Bryn. Imagine the outrage had the Birmingham 6 or the Guildford 4 been executed?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1374735 wrote: Kev, my point is that when an individual chooses to murder another earthling, they instantly take away every right that person ever possessed. So, why if found guilty after a fair trial, are the murderer's rights so important?

The "murderer's" right to life is so important because in so many cases (s)he turns out not to be the murderer.

If you are saying, as you appear to be, that on being charged with murder a person ceases to be human, then you are wrong. If you are saying that, on being found guilty of murder a person is guaranteed to be the murderer then again you are wrong.

In either case, killing the "murderer" is wrong.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's not the murderers rights that are at stake it is your own. If arrested and charged with murder you have a right to a fair trial, it seems many people assume if you have been arrested then you must be guilty - look at the way chris jeffries was treated by the press, left to them he would have been lynched. If you execute an innocent man the guilty one always go free because the case gets forgotten about. All those on death row in the states who have been found to be innocent after decades sometimes, had they been executed it would have been a miscarriage of justice to pit it mildly. You owe it to the victim to be very sure you have the right one. In the states you have people who are clearly innocent or there is reasonable doubt but it seems you have a culture that likes to lynch people regardless.

If you think it would never happen to you remember neither did those who found themselves sitting on death row for something they didn't do.

Birmingham 6 or the Guildford 4 been executed?

The real culprits got away with it and we would never have known the truth of that failure in the police, they would I suspect have faked the DNA evidence to make sure they got the "right" ones. Think also of the IRA bombers that have been released, yiu can argue either side on that one, But appalling as their crimes were executing them would have made them martyrs and escalated the violence. A terrorist in jail is pathetic, a state murdered one becomes a hero.

If prosecutors and police could be charged with murder if they execute an innocent man where evidence has been withheld or ignored or even fabricated do you think their view of the dearth penalty might be open to a change? If you believe people who kill should be executed why not execute those who execute innocent people? Should the state be above the law?
Oscar Namechange

Yes, In the UK certainly, until the force Is rid of Inept, corrupt, lying police officers, the death penalty would not be safe,
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Okay Citizen gmc; I have decided I am gonna reply to your post only. Firstly because at least you make sense, secondly because my energy levels and attention span is always very low on a Monday, thirdly because my own f...king thread is beginning to bore me, and fourthly because John Spotty, Bryn, KS & maybe Fuzzy Ozzy (I’m not sure in her case cos she’s cute), always appear to take up the cudgel for the bad guys. (If I’m wrong then I invite them to say so.)

But I have noticed in the past that they seem to enjoy castigating Israel, and are continually punting for the PLO and a Palestinian State where the Jewish state now exists (fat chance of that happening!); they appear to support global broad-based militant Islamist terrorist organizations such as Al-Qaeda (again, correct me if I’m wrong) and they seem to think that the USA deserved 9/11. (Just the way I have interpreted their action here on FG. Of course I may be way off the mark.)

If this is true, and I say IF, then I am not surprised to find them vehemently opposed to the death penalty.

Now allow me to address your comments.

"The motive for the murder comes in to it as well. Never mind extreme cases how about if a wife finally snaps and kills her abusive husband while he is lying on the floor in a drunken stupor after beating the **** out of him. Should she be executed? After all she was no longer under immediate threat. A drunk kills someone in a brawl, how about him? Or a teenager carrying a knife for protection kills someone in self defence. It's premeditated else why carry a knife so should they be killed as well? Someone using a shotgun to shoot a burglar in the back when they are running away should they be executed?"

I have stated on this thread more than once that I seek & support the death penalty for murder in the First Degree which can loosely be defined as: “the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human being, and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).”

The instances you have described above are called “involuntary manslaughter” in some countries and “culpable homicide” in others and to state this as an example of what I support is bull … and you know it.

"Calling them fiends is a childish way of dodging the reality that you are claiming the right to kill in punishment of someone who did the same thing except without your approval. You're worse in a way in that you cannot plead insanity (I assume) but claim instead the moral right to kill."

I call them “fiends” simply because in my eyes any earthling who commits murder in the first degree forfeits the right to be called human. QED.

Wow! Love your “insanity” jibe man. I am not offended so no need to worry!

"Funnily enough it always seems to be the religious most in favour of extreme punishments - those who kill out of a sense of righteous anger and claim the moral right to do so are no different from the terrorists that plant bombs to kill those they disapprove of and whom god tells them it is their duty to do so. Sick bastards the lot of them."

I take it you aren’t referring to me in this paragraph cos I’m anything but religious!! I am a “born again, well adjusted Atheist!!

So there you go ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1374844 wrote: Okay Citizen gmc; I have decided I am gonna reply to your post only. Firstly because at least you make sense, secondly because my energy levels and attention span is always very low on a Monday, thirdly because my own f...king thread is beginning to bore me, and fourthly because John Spotty, Bryn, KS & maybe Fuzzy Ozzy (I’m not sure in her case cos she’s cute), always appear to take up the cudgel for the bad guys. (If I’m wrong then I invite them to say so.)

But I have noticed in the past that they seem to enjoy castigating Israel, and are continually punting for the PLO and a Palestinian State where the Jewish state now exists (fat chance of that happening!); they appear to support global broad-based militant Islamist terrorist organizations such as Al-Qaeda (again, correct me if I’m wrong) and they seem to think that the USA deserved 9/11. (Just the way I have interpreted their action here on FG. Of course I may be way off the mark.)

If this is true, and I say IF, then I am not surprised to find them vehemently opposed to the death penalty.

OK, I'll bite - where have I ever supported or even appeared to support Al-Qaeda, where have I ever suggested that the USA deserved 9/11?

The only time I can recall castigating Israel whas when debating the happenings at Deir Yassin with Gollum before you joined.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1374897 wrote: OK, I'll bite - where have I ever supported or even appeared to support Al-Qaeda, where have I ever suggested that the USA deserved 9/11?

The only time I can recall castigating Israel whas when debating the happenings at Deir Yassin with Gollum before you joined.

I unreservedly withdraw the personal attacks I made in this post. They were uncalled for, unsubstantiated, and childish. I apologise to those concerned.

I know its no excuse but I had earlier in the evening received the news that my faithful Boxer mutt "Mojo" aka "Mr. Jo" has Lymphoma, a cancer in the lymphatic cells and that it had spread throughout his body.

Anyway, that's my problem.
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1374927 wrote: I unreservedly withdraw the personal attacks I made in this post. They were uncalled for, unsubstantiated, and childish. I apologise to those concerned.

I know its no excuse but I had earlier in the evening received the news that my faithful Boxer mutt "Mojo" aka "Mr. Jo" has Lymphoma, a cancer in the lymphatic cells and that it had spread throughout his body.

Anyway, that's my problem. So sorry to hear about Mojo. Do what's right and best for him. I know how you feel.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1374936 wrote: So sorry to hear about Mojo. Do what's right and best for him. I know how you feel.

Thank you so much oscar ... You have no idea what your post means to me.

And btw, forgive me for saying this, but I for the first time the other day saw an image of you come up on the FG home page. You are a very good lookin' lady!
gmc

Post by gmc »

jones jones;1374927 wrote: I unreservedly withdraw the personal attacks I made in this post. They were uncalled for, unsubstantiated, and childish. I apologise to those concerned.

Anyway, that's my problem.

You leave me slightly speechless I had just about decided not to waste any more time discoursing with you.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I remember having a recurring dilemma when I was younger, possibly an echo from an unknown film I had seen. I recall it turning into an actual nightmare where I woke up sweating and extremely uneasy.

The dilemma was, myself in a situation where I was confronted by a person armed and ready to shoot, I am armed and ready to shoot.

Neither want to cause the others death, but can either wait to confirm the others feelings ?

That is how much my thoughts of killing another human being disturbs me.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1375021 wrote: I remember having a recurring dilemma when I was younger, possibly an echo from an unknown film I had seen. I recall it turning into an actual nightmare where I woke up sweating and extremely uneasy.

The dilemma was, myself in a situation where I was confronted by a person armed and ready to shoot, I am armed and ready to shoot.

Neither want to cause the others death, but can either wait to confirm the others feelings ?

That is how much my thoughts of killing another human being disturbs me.It is possible your dream had nothing at all to due with killing other humans. Just food for thought.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1375022 wrote: It is possible your dream had nothing at all to due with killing other humans. Just food for thought.

It was my dream..................or are you talking about the meaning of dreams ?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1375026 wrote: It was my dream..................or are you talking about the meaning of dreams ?My apologies, I thought nightmare referred to an actual dream state, but I'm now interpreting your post to say nightmare meaning inner dialogue.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1375035 wrote: My apologies, I thought nightmare referred to an actual dream state, but I'm now interpreting your post to say nightmare meaning inner dialogue.

It happens sometimes... :yh_bigsmi
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1375035 wrote: My apologies, I thought nightmare referred to an actual dream state, but I'm now interpreting your post to say nightmare meaning inner dialogue.

It was both, an 'inner dialoque' that grew into an actual 'dream state' nightmare.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Appears to me to be an inner standoff then. A crossroads if you will.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1375044 wrote: Appears to me to be an inner standoff then. A crossroads if you will.

Have you been taking lessons in Crypticology from Kevin ?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

You're taking the images of guns literally if I understand you correctly, is that right?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1374965 wrote: Thank you so much oscar ... You have no idea what your post means to me.

And btw, forgive me for saying this, but I for the first time the other day saw an image of you come up on the FG home page. You are a very good lookin' lady! Awwww Shucks JJ :o:o:o

Seriously, they are not called 'Man's best friend' for nothing. He needs all your attention right now so don't ever feel that there Is something better to do. Our dog is In her final weeks right now so I can empathise entirely.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1375049 wrote: You're taking the images of guns literally if I understand you correctly, is that right?

Yes literally..........that moment when you both stand face to face, with a fraction of a second to decide the fate of another human being, or die.

Return to “Crimes Trials”