Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Meridian Regional News | Merdian Tonight - ITV Local

No personal attacks please.
spot

It's in process

Post by spot »

The court appears to have imposed reporting restrictions after the prosecution made its opening statement.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

spot;1306753 wrote: The court appears to have imposed reporting restrictions after the prosecution made its opening statement.
There are several reports on the web so i assumed there is no problem. I'm sure the only objection is to the boys ages. We are waiting for the case for the defence.
spot

It's in process

Post by spot »

If you can see a news report within the last two weeks you're doing better than I am.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

spot;1306755 wrote: If you can see a news report within the last two weeks you're doing better than I am. I'll have a further look tonight however we are not aware of anything being stated in court. Thankyou for pointing that out though.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

spot;1306753 wrote: The court appears to have imposed reporting restrictions after the prosecution made its opening statement.

"Blood found on tree near Ralph Millward's body" (From Bournemouth Echo)

It seems that is not the case Spot.
Odie

It's in process

Post by Odie »

'The prosecution says the three drunken teenagers – one 15-year-old and two aged 17 – launched an attack on Mr Millward when he refused to hand over his tobacco.'

teens or not, drunk or not, killing one for tobacco is deplorable.

they should be tried as adults.
Life is just to short for drama.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Odie;1306766 wrote: 'The prosecution says the three drunken teenagers – one 15-year-old and two aged 17 – launched an attack on Mr Millward when he refused to hand over his tobacco.'

teens or not, drunk or not, killing one for tobacco is deplorable.

they should be tried as adults.
The jury has so far heard the case for the prosecution and not the defence. All trials open with the case for the prosecution. The prosecution can only allege a scenario based on what evidence they have. Evidence for the defence has not yet been heard and i think it wise that anyone does not assume the prosecutions case is correct in it's entirity. That is the whole point of a trial by jury, to hear both sides of the coin, take in all evidence and wait for a verdict. You are assuming they are guilty half way through a trial before all evidence is heard. We will know soon enough i'm sure but if you care to listen to the opening report again, you will hear the reporter state that the case is as the prosecution alleges, it could well not be fact.
spot

It's in process

Post by spot »

Peter Lake;1306757 wrote: It seems that is not the case Spot.

Perhaps they're only sitting two or three days a week.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

spot;1306780 wrote: Perhaps they're only sitting two or three days a week.
You've got it.
G#Gill

It's in process

Post by G#Gill »

Peter Lake;1306779 wrote: The jury has so far heard the case for the prosecution and not the defence. All trials open with the case for the prosecution. The prosecution can only allege a scenario based on what evidence they have. Evidence for the defence has not yet been heard and i think it wise that anyone does not assume the prosecutions case is correct in it's entirity. That is the whole point of a trial by jury, to hear both sides of the coin, take in all evidence and wait for a verdict. You are assuming they are guilty half way through a trial before all evidence is heard. We will know soon enough i'm sure.

It must be hard for you and Oscar, Peter, and not a little worrying. I'm thinking of you both, if you could pass that on to Julie please. :(
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

G#Gill;1306782 wrote: It must be hard for you and Oscar, Peter, and not a little worrying. I'm thinking of you both, if you could pass that on to Julie please. :( Thankyou Gill that's very kind of you.

Taken from the Bournmouth Echo,

"The jury was also told yesterday that one of the 17-year-olds had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Millward".

This was rejected by the prosecution to persue a conviction for murder.
Kathy Ellen

It's in process

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Peter Lake;1306748 wrote: Meridian Regional News | Merdian Tonight - ITV Local

No personal attacks please.

Hi Pete:-6

I can't pull this video up...It says that it's only available in the UK...

Is there another site I can go to...

Thanks...
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Kathy Ellen;1306792 wrote: Hi Pete:-6

I can't pull this video up...It says that it's only available in the UK...

Is there another site I can go to...

Thanks...
I'm sorry about that Kathy, try this link, it may be better as it's not a video.

Court told of teens' 'gratuitous attack' on Big Issue seller Ralph Millward, 41 (From Bournemouth Echo)

I will keep you updated on the case and have passed your message to the wife. You're a lovely lady Kathy.
Odie

It's in process

Post by Odie »

“The violence used was overwhelmingly more than was needed to rob him of his tobacco,” he added.

“Mr Millward was quite unable to defend himself.”

The jury previously heard how Mr Millward was “beaten” to death, first with stamps and kicks, then later with a shopping trolley.

The 15-year-old insisted he was not involved in the violence at all, while the two older boys admitted little more than a couple of kicks each, the jury was told.

The jury was also told yesterday that one of the 17-year-olds had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Millward.

[Edited due to copyright restrictions-FG moderators]

Full report click link below:-

Court told of teens' 'gratuitous attack' on Big Issue seller Ralph Millward, 41 (From Bournemouth Echo)

of course the 15 year old said he was not involved.............bull****.

I'm glad manslaughter was turned down and changed to murder.

It's disgusting picking on a homeless man whom they knew could not defend himself.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Odie;1306795 wrote: “The violence used was overwhelmingly more than was needed to rob him of his tobacco,” he added.

“Mr Millward was quite unable to defend himself.”

The jury previously heard how Mr Millward was “beaten” to death, first with stamps and kicks, then later with a shopping trolley.

His pouch of tobacco was discovered at the Westbourne flat of one of the defendants’ friends the next day, along with his transistor radio, the court heard.

In police interviews, the three defendants all attempted to minimize their involvement in the attack, said Mr Mousley.

The 15-year-old insisted he was not involved in the violence at all, while the two older boys admitted little more than a couple of kicks each, the jury was told.

One of the 17-year-olds even suggested he had placed Mr Millward in the recovery position after they left him, the court heard.

The jury was also told yesterday that one of the 17-year-olds had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Millward.

of course the 15 year old said he was not involved.............bull****.

I'm glad manslaughter was turned down and changed to murder.

It's disgusting pickin on a homeless man whom they knew could not defend himself.
So did one of the boys put the man in the recovery position? That's a kind action is it not? Hardly the action of a cold blooded killer. If you believe what the prosecution allege and that's all that has been reported so far, then one lad putting him in the recovery position must be true going by your reasoning.

Think about this odie. If your glad the plea of manslaughter was denied to persue a conviction for murder, then if that jury have any doubt, they must return a verdict of not guilty which means he'll walk free, acquited. That's some risk to take that could backfire on the prosecution.
Odie

It's in process

Post by Odie »

Peter Lake;1306799 wrote: So did one of the boys put the man in the recovery position? That's a kind action is it not? Hardly the action of a cold blooded killer. If you believe what the prosecution allege and that's all that has been reported so far, then one lad putting him in the recovery position must be true going by your reasoning.

Think about this odie. If your glad the plea of manslaughter was denied to persue a conviction for murder, then if that jury have any doubt, they must return a verdict of not guilty which means he'll walk free, acquited. That's some risk to take that could backfire on the prosecution.

you consider that's kind, after what he did to him?:rolleyes:

wow, Peter, you have never posted at 4am your time.;)
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Odie;1306800 wrote: you consider that's kind, after what he did to him?:rolleyes:

wow, Peter, we have never seen you posting at 4am your time.;) I can't see why i am still up at 2.55 at night is any of your business but just incase it has an effect on your life, i'm waiting for an e bay auction to end. If you like, i could message the seller and tell him that next time he has something i want to bid on, could he please be more considerate and work out the dates and times to a more agreeable hour of the evening. Do you think he'd mind?
G#Gill

It's in process

Post by G#Gill »

Peter Lake;1306799 wrote: So did one of the boys put the man in the recovery position? That's a kind action is it not? Hardly the action of a cold blooded killer. If you believe what the prosecution allege and that's all that has been reported so far, then one lad putting him in the recovery position must be true going by your reasoning.

Peter, it surprised me that they didn't go for the murder charge and have the lesser charge of manslaughter also available. Other cases have done this when a person has been found not guilty of murder but guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter, simply because the jury accepted that there was no intention to actually kill.

IMO those youths did not have murder in mind, but they must have got blood lust to have kicked him so much. I do not think they intended to kill him, but in their state of drunkeness they would not necessarily realise the severity of their attack.

If the charge is only for murder, and the defence convinces the jury that the youths had no intention to kill, just to over-power the man for robbery, then you are quite right Peter. They will be found not guilty and they will all go free, even though one of them admitted guilt of manslaughter!
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

G#Gill;1306802 wrote: Peter, it surprised me that they didn't go for the murder charge and have the lesser charge of manslaughter also available. Other cases have done this when a person has been found not guilty of murder but guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter, simply because the jury accepted that there was no intention to actually kill.

IMO those youths did not have murder in mind, but they must have got blood lust to have kicked him so much. I do not think they intended to kill him, but in their state of drunkeness they would not necessarily realise the severity of their attack.

If the charge is only for murder, and the defence convinces the jury that the youths had no intention to kill, just to over-power the man for robbery, then you are quite right Peter. They will be found not guilty and they will all go free, even though one of them admitted guilt of manslaughter!
You are on top of the tree there Gill and i can only agree. It's a big risk for the prosecution to take in my eyes going by the same reasoning as you. If there is any slightest doubt then the jury are legally bound to return not guilty. I can't give details naturally of what the defence is going to present but i don't think it's cut and dried as some may think or hope.

You are also on the money that none of the boys went out with the intention of killing anyone. We shall just have to wait for more evidence and the verdict.

Just a thought Gill here but your up very late so i don't suppose your on e bay out bidding me for a centre pin reel are you?
G#Gill

It's in process

Post by G#Gill »

Peter Lake;1306803 wrote: You are on top of the tree there Gill and i can only agree. It's a big risk for the prosecution to take in my eyes going by the same reasoning as you. If there is any slightest doubt then the jury are legally bound to return not guilty. I can't give details naturally of what the defence is going to present but i don't think it's cut and dried as some may think or hope.

You are also on the money that none of the boys went out with the intention of killing anyone. We shall just have to wait for more evidence and the verdict.

Just a thought Gill here but your up very late so i don't suppose your on e bay out bidding me for a centre pin reel are you?

What the phththph£$^& would I want with fishing gear? :yh_rotfl It's just that time has passed while I've been dealing with other matters online ! Damn rediculous innit? Still, I'm a pensioner (I have me bus pass at last :yh_rotfl) so I don't have to get up at the crack of sparrow fart in the morning for work ! :p

Good luck with your auction Peter, I hope you get what you want for the price you are prepared to pay! :-6 :D ;)

BTW I meant to ask how you were - I hope things aren't too uncomfortable.

I hope the foxes are not being neglected either ! :thinking:
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

G#Gill;1306805 wrote: What the phththph£$^& would I want with fishing gear? :yh_rotfl It's just that time has passed while I've been dealing with other matters online ! Damn rediculous innit? Still, I'm a pensioner (I have me bus pass at last :yh_rotfl) so I don't have to get up at the crack of sparrow fart in the morning for work ! :p

Good luck with your auction Peter, I hope you get what you want for the price you are prepared to pay! :-6 :D ;)

BTW I meant to ask how you were - I hope things aren't too uncomfortable.

I hope the foxes are not being neglected either ! :thinking:
I'm off now Gill as i just won the bid at last and that's another for the collection which will annoy the wife.

As for the foxes, the wife couldn't post but she was presented with two cubs around ten days ago. She thinks they are around twelve to sixteen weeks old. They take no notice of her at all yet bolt at the sight of me. I have tried changing my deodorant but it hasn't helped. I'm bearing up thankyou for asking, taking it easy and getting some fishing in and using my bus pass also.
spot

It's in process

Post by spot »

Peter Lake;1306803 wrote: You are also on the money that none of the boys went out with the intention of killing anyone.
The question isn't just an intention to kill, it's an intention to "kill or do serious harm". As a joint venture, it also has nothing to do with which of them actually performed the harm.

Blackstone's Criminal Practice A5.6 "Contemplation of the Mens Rea of Murder" puts it this way:A must be proved to have intended to kill or do serious harm at the time he killed. B may not be present at the killing; he may be a distance away, for example, waiting in the get-away car; he may be in another part of the house; he may not know that A has killed; he may have hoped, and probably did hope, that A would not kill or do serious injury. If however as part of their joint plan it was understood between them expressly or tacitly that if necessary one of them would kill or do serious harm as part of their common enterprise, then B is guilty of murder.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

spot;1306823 wrote: The question isn't just an intention to kill, it's an intention to "kill or do serious harm". As a joint venture, it also has nothing to do with which of them actually performed the harm.

Blackstone's Criminal Practice A5.6 "Contemplation of the Mens Rea of Murder" puts it this way:A must be proved to have intended to kill or do serious harm at the time he killed. B may not be present at the killing; he may be a distance away, for example, waiting in the get-away car; he may be in another part of the house; he may not know that A has killed; he may have hoped, and probably did hope, that A would not kill or do serious injury. If however as part of their joint plan it was understood between them expressly or tacitly that if necessary one of them would kill or do serious harm as part of their common enterprise, then B is guilty of murder. Thankyou as i myself were looking for something to explain the law on intent. I't's unfortunate that i can't go into further detail of that night until after the trial as i'd be interested in your thoughts.
Bill Sikes

It's in process

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1306795 wrote:

It's disgusting picking on a homeless man whom they knew could not defend himself.

I can remember certain posts on this forum at about the time it was originally talked of. They've gone now. I am not surprised.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Bill Sikes;1306905 wrote: I can remember certain posts on this forum at about the time it was originally talked of. They've gone now. I am not surprised.

The posts at the time Bill were before he was charged. Any Imformation after his charge was subject to sub judice law. That was the only reason and no doubt all the gory details will be in the newspapers once all evidence is heard. The case for the defence has not been printed yet and all i can say at this point once again, is the jury will reach a verdict once all evidence has been heard and not half of it as it stands at the moment.
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Is this a murder that occurred from bullying that went too far? Teenagers that bully have in most if not all cases been bullied themselves and if they've grown up in a family with a history of bullying that becomes all the more evident.

That would actually probably be a pretty good defense in order to hope for reduced charges.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Youngest accused in Ralph Millward trial claims: "I didn't touch him" (From Bournemouth Echo)

The youngest of the three boys charged with the victems murder has told the jury that he watched one of the boys assault him. Not both of the boys but one of them. Seems it is not as cut and dried as some hope. The trial continues.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307920 wrote: Is this a murder that occurred from bullying that went too far? Teenagers that bully have in most if not all cases been bullied themselves and if they've grown up in a family with a history of bullying that becomes all the more evident.

That would actually probably be a pretty good defense in order to hope for reduced charges. I can't speak for one of the boys but the other two have in no way been bullied in their lives nor do any of the boys come from violent homes.
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307923 wrote: I can not speak for one of the boys but the other two have in no way been bullied in their lives nor do any of the boys come from violent homes.I doubt that to be the case. I think the authorities should have all three families put through psychological evaluation. I guarantee they would find a history of bullying in at least one of them.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307924 wrote: I doubt that to be the case. I think the authorities should have all three families put through psychological evaluation. I guarantee they would find a history of bullying in at least one of them.
They have and they have nothing. This is more to do with gang culture not homelife.
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307925 wrote: They have and they have nothing.I'll bet if they really have, they would have a lot. Is there an article that you can point to that reports psychological evaluation for the families? That sort of thing usually makes the papers in the states.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307925 wrote: They have and they have nothing. This is more to do with gang culture not homelife.Gang culture starts in the home.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307927 wrote: I'll bet if they really have, they would have a lot. Is there an article that you can point to that reports psychological evaluation for the families? That sort of thing usually makes the papers in the states.
I'm sure if there are guilty verdicts the newspapers may print an evaluation but as yet there is nothing in print.
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307928 wrote: Gang culture starts in the home.
How?
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307931 wrote: How?Bullying is a form of gang related abuse especially when others stand by and permit it to happen which is normally the case in abusive homes. these homes and families don't realize they are abusive because the have the mentality that: it happened to me and I turned out alright.

Yelling, being bossy are not physical acts of abuse but they are bullying. Also its not uncommon for bullies to make public shows of kindness to animals. Thats a facade they hide behind.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307933 wrote: Bullying is a form of gang related abuse especially when others stand by and permit it to happen which is normally the case in abusive homes. these homes and families don't realize they are abusive because the have the mentality that: it happened to me and I turned out alright.

Yelling, being bossy are not physical acts of abuse but they are bullying. Also its not uncommon for bullies to make public shows of kindness to animals. Thats a facade they hide behind.

I am not a criminal physcologist and don't profess to be an expert but for the record, i don't mind stating here that i was the the brunt of a violent sadistic father yet i have never felt the need to bully nor harm another person. I also had a sadistic Flight Sergeant during my service. That knocks that argument into a cocked hat for one.

Many murderers have a history of animal abuse or even animal torture so this also does not conect with your concept.

Do you yourself have an insight into gang culture?
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307946 wrote: I am not a criminal physcologist and don't profess to be an expert but for the record, i don't mind stating here that i was the the brunt of a violent sadistic father yet i have never felt the need to bully nor harm another person. I also had a sadistic Flight Sergeant during my service. That knocks that argument into a cocked hat for one.

Many murderers have a history of animal abuse or even animal torture so this also does not conect with your concept.

Do you yourself have an insight into gang culture?The animal torture thing usually, not always but usually takes place in private. But abusers definitely do make a point of appearing very animal friendly in public display.

If I remember correctly, one of these teenagers accused of this bullying type crime is a family member of your wife, is that correct?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307951 wrote: The animal torture thing usually, not always but usually takes place in private. But abusers definitely do make a point of appearing very animal friendly in public display.

If I remember correctly, one of these teenagers accused of this bullying type crime is a family member of your wife, is that correct? Yes, one of the boys is a member of her family but as i am married to my wife, he is my family also, so my next question would be, what is your point for that reference?
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307973 wrote: Yes, one of the boys is a member of her family but as i am married to my wife, he is my family also, so my next question would be, what is your point for that reference?Just checking.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

It's in process

Post by Odie »

Ahso!;1307977 wrote: Just checking.

honestly, what does it matter?
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307977 wrote: Just checking. Now your not taking the thread off topic are you ahso? :sneaky:
Odie

It's in process

Post by Odie »

Peter Lake;1307981 wrote: Now your not taking the thread off topic are you ahso? :sneaky:

that he is Peter!:yh_rotfl
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307981 wrote: Now your not taking the thread off topic are you ahso? :sneaky:Wouldn't think of it, I just answered your question.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Odie;1307979 wrote: honestly, what does it matter?If you read the thread you'd understand. It goes to family history.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Ahso!;1307990 wrote: If you read the thread you'd understand. It goes to family history.
I really must commend you on your perceptive insight into a family you have never met or spoken to. Now if you'll excuse me, i have tired of the inane course of which you are attempting to take.
Ahso!

It's in process

Post by Ahso! »

Peter Lake;1307992 wrote: I really must commend you on your perceptive insight into a family you have never met or spoken to. Now if you'll excuse me, i have tired Thanks! Have a good evening, Peter. ;)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Kathy Ellen

It's in process

Post by Kathy Ellen »

My best wishes to your family Peter and Julie at this trial. It will be a tough road for all of you to cope with all of the ramifications of this trial. I know you'll stay strong:-4

How's the fishing Pete????? Caught any barbels lately????? Hope so:-6
Peter Lake

It's in process

Post by Peter Lake »

Kathy Ellen;1308007 wrote: My best wishes to your family Peter and Julie at this trial. It will be a tough road for all of you to cope with all of the ramifications of this trial. I know you'll stay strong:-4

How's the fishing Pete????? Caught any barbels lately????? Hope so:-6 Thankyou Kathy that's very kind of you but we are more concerned with the boys parents at the moment as it's a tough time for them all. I will e mail you later rather than here.
Kathy Ellen

It's in process

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Peter Lake;1308021 wrote: Thankyou Kathy that's very kind of you but we are more concerned with the boys parents at the moment as it's a tough time for them all. I will e mail you later rather than here.

Thanks Pete...I know that you're more concerned about the parents:-6

Return to “Crimes Trials”