Father in Colo. balloon boy hoax reports to jail

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -The Colorado man who admitted orchestrating the balloon boy hoax reported to jail Monday to begin a 90-day jail sentence.

Richard Heene pleaded guilty to attempting to influence a public servant after the Oct. 15 saga that captivated a national television audience.

But Heene now says he truly believed his 6-year-old son Falcon was inside the balloon and that he pleaded guilty only to appease authorities and save his wife from being deported to Japan.

Story Link: Father in Colo. balloon boy hoax reports to jail
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

The first 30 days he must spend in jail before he can be work released, should give him the time to ponder how he is going to come up with the money to pay restitution, penalties and legal fees.

The Heenes must also pay restitution for the rescue effort that sent officers from two counties and other agencies scrambling. The Colorado National Guard launched two helicopters to track the balloon and possibly rescue the boy. Prosecutors estimate the Heenes owe $48,000 (euro33,600), though Richard Heene's attorney could provide a different estimate by a Jan. 25 deadline.

Richard Heene also faces an $11,000 civil penalty from the Federal Aviation Administration. The balloon briefly shut down a runway at Denver International Airport.

Read more: Balloon boy dad, Richard Heene, to begin 90-day jail sentence after pleading guilty over hoax

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

He probably should learn when to keep his mouth shut.

That bit about admitting to the fraud to placate the prosecutor and keep his wife from being deported might get them riled up and get her sent home.

I mean, if it wasn't for the videotape of the balloon release getting published, he 'might' be able to sell that line, but,...
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1281418 wrote: He probably should learn when to keep his mouth shut.

That bit about admitting to the fraud to placate the prosecutor and keep his wife from being deported might get them riled up and get her sent home.

I mean, if it wasn't for the videotape of the balloon release getting published, he 'might' be able to sell that line, but,...

He wanted that videotape published, for more publicity as he was hoping for his own reality show, unless I misunderstood you?
Life is just to short for drama.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Odie;1281438 wrote: He wanted that videotape published, for more publicity as he was hoping for his own reality show, unless I misunderstood you?

No, I get why he taped the "launch" but it is really hard for me to resolve that and the notion that he now claims he really thought the boy was in the balloon, accompanied with the comment the boy said about hiding in the garage 'for the show'

That and he now runs his mouth about how they only plead guilty to the plot to assuage the prosecution to avoid get Mom deported.

Were I the prosecutor, I would be on the phone to Emigration by now.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1281439 wrote: No, I get why he taped the "launch" but it is really hard for me to resolve that and the notion that he now claims he really thought the boy was in the balloon, accompanied with the comment the boy said about hiding in the garage 'for the show'

That and he now runs his mouth about how they only plead guilty to the plot to assuage the prosecution to avoid get Mom deported.

Were I the prosecutor, I would be on the phone to Emigration by now.

he now claims he thought his son was in the balloon?:rolleyes:

If his mom was gong to be deported, doesn't this mean she is an illegal citizen?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Odie;1281445 wrote: he now claims he thought his son was in the balloon?:rolleyes:

If his mom was gong to be deported, doesn't this mean she is an illegal citizen?

From the OP:

But Heene now says he truly believed his 6-year-old son Falcon was inside the balloon and that he pleaded guilty only to appease authorities and save his wife from being deported to Japan.

An alien resident, legally in this country can have their visa/green card revoked and be deported if they break the laws of the country.

If she was a citizen it would be another story, but I believe, even then criminal acts can warrant deportation.

I don't think THIS activity would warrant such treatment, but this day and age, who knows what emigration might do if you rile them.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1281456 wrote: From the OP:

An alien resident, legally in this country can have their visa/green card revoked and be deported if they break the laws of the country.

thing is? she did break the law.

Return to “Crimes Trials”