Capitol Punishment in U.S. Melting

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I've been enjoying the view while witnessing the crumbling of conservative values and institutions. First Reaganomics falls, nearly taking the entire world with it, and now this. Yet so many conservative rank and file continue to hold onto this philosophy of "Tough Love." Things are definitely changing, America. Will conservatives go down screaming, or will they graciously move to a more reasonable position? One wonders! Both time and science are proving these values a waste of resources on many fronts.

Last fall, the American Law Institute, which created the intellectual framework for the modern capital justice system almost 50 years ago, pronounced its project a failure and walked away from it.

There were other important death penalty developments last year: the number of death sentences continued to fall, Ohio switched to a single chemical for lethal injections and New Mexico repealed its death penalty entirely. But not one of them was as significant as the institute’s move, which represents a tectonic shift in legal theory.

“The A.L.I. is important on a lot of topics,” said Franklin E. Zimring, a law professor at the University of California, Berkeley. “They were absolutely singular on this topic” — capital punishment — “because they were the only intellectually respectable support for the death penalty system in the United States.”

The institute is made up of about 4,000 judges, lawyers and law professors. It synthesizes and shapes the law in restatements and model codes that provide structure and coherence in a federal legal system that might otherwise consist of 50 different approaches to everything.

Sidebar - Group That Shaped Death Penalty Gives Up on Its Own Work - NYTimes.com
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Good post, Ahso, although maybe the title should be, "Republican Platform Melting."

The single biggest problem with the NEOCONs, besides their "My way or the highway" mentality is their resistance to change. that and the fact that partisanship has blinded them completely. For example:

Eight years ago, a terrorist bomber’s attempt to blow up a transatlantic airliner was thwarted by a group of passengers, an incident that revealed some gaping holes in airline security just a few months after the attacks of Sept. 11. But it was six days before President George W. Bush, then on vacation, made any public remarks about the so-called shoe bomber, Richard Reid, and there were virtually no complaints from the press or any opposition Democrats that his response was sluggish or inadequate.

That stands in sharp contrast to the withering criticism President Barack Obama has received from Republicans and some in the press for his reaction to Friday’s incident on a Northwest Airlines flight heading for Detroit.

Democrats have seized on the disparity and are making it a centerpiece of their efforts to counter GOP attacks on the White House. “This hypocrisy demonstrates Republicans are playing politics with issues of national security and terrorism,” DNC spokesman Hari Sevugan said. “That they would use this incident as an opportunity to fan partisan flames … tells you all you need to know about how far the Republican Party has fallen and how out of step with the American people they have become.”

President Obama takes the heat President Bush did not - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

On one hand i was hoping to attract some of those conservative geniuses that no doubt lurk here, but i think they are all afraid of Spot. On the other hand, they really don't have much to say worth listening to. But really, Spot, why did you have to make it so difficult for the rest of us who enjoy playing with them? :wah:

Come and get it, you guy's, I'm not Spot, I'm a lot easier to knock around!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

BTS, what do you make of this situation?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Royd Fissure

Post by Royd Fissure »

I think it may have been in the very early 1970s or perhaps a little earlier that the US turned to a harsher form of treatment of crime and stayed on the track pretty much until now. Perhaps that approach hasn't worked to reduce crime and it's worth looking at other options? I'm not suggesting a sooky approach to criminals, just a sensible approach to crime.

As for capital punishment - strangely enough (says me to meself) I don't object to it on purely moral grounds, just the grounds that innocent people will be executed. Now some might say that they were eventually going to die anyway but bumping innocent people off is pretty poor form. And the electorate sometimes wises up to the fact that it could be any one of them who becomes trapped in a nightmare and ends up on Death Row even while innocent.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Ahso!;1279057 wrote: I've been enjoying the view while witnessing the crumbling of conservative values and institutions. First Reaganomics falls, nearly taking the entire world with it, and now this. Yet so many conservative rank and file continue to hold onto this philosophy of "Tough Love." Things are definitely changing, America. Will conservatives go down screaming, or will they graciously move to a more reasonable position? One wonders! Both time and science are proving these values a waste of resources on many fronts.

Sidebar - Group That Shaped Death Penalty Gives Up on Its Own Work - NYTimes.com

Didn't anyone ever teach you not to pi$$ facing into the wind:confused:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

When people insist that "murder" is all derived from the same motives then naturally they set themselves up for failure when trying to repel these instances with a generalized form of punishment. Quite frankly, the death penalty in the U.S. is only used on people that commit "heinous" crimes. It's my knowledge that those "heinous" crimes are derived from thoughts of complete and utter despair and psychosis of incomparable precedence(Without the precedence of their actions they couldn't be defined as "guilty" lest one assumes the role of a murderer).

The law of capitol punishment is to either end the lives of all guilty practitioners in response to that governments desires to avoid the same damn crimes they're attempting to subdue or they don't do it at all if they're to be "successful". That formula is grounds for immoral horse garbage that I choose myself to not participate in and anyone that does has some serious freakin issues(Reference "psychotic") and justifies the exact same response they uphold:wah:

Everyone asks different questions upon the desire to know the exact same answer so "you" tell me why we should give different answers to the exact same question

Return to “Crimes Trials”