China confirms Briton's execution, despite UK plea

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

URUMQI, China -China brushed aside international appeals Tuesday and executed a British drug smuggler who relatives say was mentally unstable and unwittingly lured into crime.

Britain's prime minister quickly criticized the execution — China's first of a European citizen in nearly 60 years.

"I condemn the execution of Akmal Shaikh in the strongest terms, and am appalled and disappointed that our persistent requests for clemency have not been granted. I am particularly concerned that no mental health assessment was undertaken," Prime Minister Gordon Brown said in a statement issued by the Foreign Office.

The press office of the Xinjiang region where Shaikh had been held confirmed the execution in a faxed statement.

Shaikh, 53, first learned he was about to be executed Monday from his visiting cousins, who made a last-minute plea for his life. They say he is mentally unstable and was lured to China from a life on the street in Poland by men playing on his dreams to record a pop song for world peace.

Full Story: China confirms Briton's execution, despite UK plea
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Good on China.

Fecken drug smugglers should learn a lesson and so should the West in how to deal with drug dealers.

They are nothing but vermin that are guilty of destroying lives. How many have they killed with the drugs they sell to kids.

Not too many British drug smugglers will be going in that direction very soon.

We always make excuses for the scum of our society: mentally ill, abused, grew up in a bad neighborhood…. Too bad, a bottom feeding drug smuggler is just that, and got no less than deserved.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

mikeinie;1276961 wrote: Good on China.

Fecken drug smugglers should learn a lesson and so should the West in how to deal with drug dealers.

They are nothing but vermin that are guilty of destroying lives. How many have they killed with the drugs they sell to kids.

Not too many British drug smugglers will be going in that direction very soon.

We always make excuses for the scum of our society: mentally ill, abused, grew up in a bad neighborhood…. Too bad, a bottom feeding drug smuggler is just that, and got no less than deserved.Do you include marijuana and alcohol in that, Mike?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

You play you pay they obviously have a much tighter policy on drug dealers than the US or Briton to include anything they consider as drugs are drugs simple. I'm always amazed when people get caught they wonder why.

There is no grey area for them, our definitions of what are the bad "DRUGS" means nothing drugs are drug don't bring them to our country and try and sell them. Maybe if we had such a policy there wouldn't be some much of the crap in our countries.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Ahso!;1276978 wrote: Do you include marijuana and alcohol in that, Mike?

Not sure what you mean, this guy was not trying to bring beer across a border (as far as I know alcohol is not illegal), nor was carrying an ounce of marijuana, he was smuggling over 9 lbs of pure heroin.

If someone comes to my country and breaks the law, I expect them to be punished in accordance to our laws.

If these are the laws in China, then people should know and understand the laws before that go there and decide to break them.

It is called personal responsibility.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1276986 wrote: You play you pay they obviously have a much tighter policy on drug dealers than the US or Briton to include anything they consider as drugs are drugs simple. I'm always amazed when people get caught they wonder why.

There is no grey area for them, our definitions of what are the bad "DRUGS" means nothing drugs are drug don't bring them to our country and try and sell them. Maybe if we had such a policy there wouldn't be some much of the crap in our countries.If Americans continue to refuse to pay taxes, we refuse to cut our military budget and our government continues to borrow from China, you just might get your wish. Personally, i'd rather not adopt China's philosophy of governance. But thats just me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

mikeinie;1276987 wrote: Not sure what you mean, this guy was not trying to bring beer across a border (as far as I know alcohol is not illegal), nor was carrying an ounce of marijuana, he was smuggling over 9 lbs of pure heroin.

If someone comes to my country and breaks the law, I expect them to be punished in accordance to our laws.

If these are the laws in China, then people should know and understand the laws before that go there and decide to break them.

It is called personal responsibility.I was referring to your obvious outrage of drug use in general. I'm wondering which drugs you believe should be on the list.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Of course no one should govern like China. Then again no one should travel to CHINA with pounds of heroine and expect to not get caught. On this issue their policy on drug dealers in their country works for me. Like I said doesn't matter what drugs we think should be on the list, their list in the only one that counts for them.

[QUOTE]If Americans continue to refuse to pay taxes, we refuse to cut our military budget and our government continues to borrow from China, you just might get your wish. Personally, i'd rather not adopt China's philosophy of governance. But thats just me.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1276995 wrote: Of course no one should govern like China. Then again no one should travel to CHINA with pounds of heroine and expect to not get caught. On this issue their policy on drug dealers in their country works for me. Like I said doesn't matter what drugs we think should be on the list, their list in the only one that counts for them.Is there any "drug" or amount that you would find yourself in opposition to China's drug policy, or is it "all" drugs that the government determines to be "bad"? Just curious!:)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

If their goverment says a drug is bad and you will be prosecuted or killed for having them or selling them its their country, their list, their rules learn them before you travel their and you will be fine. Break them and your in a world of you know what..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Ahso!;1276993 wrote: I was referring to your obvious outrage of drug use in general. I'm wondering which drugs you believe should be on the list.

I don’t know Chinese law well enough to comment.

I would think that the punishment must reflect the crime.

There is a big difference between heroin and marijuana, but the point is, if in China or anywhere else, the law of the country was execution, (even if it was for marijuana), then I wouldn’t be the first one to go over there and try to smuggle out a few pounds worth.

So you tell me, what drugs are OK to sell to kids, and which ones are not?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

mikeinie;1277001 wrote: I don’t know Chinese law well enough to comment.

I would think that the punishment must reflect the crime.

There is a big difference between heroin and marijuana, but the point is, if in China or anywhere else, the law of the country was execution, (even if it was for marijuana), then I wouldn’t be the first one to go over there and try to smuggle out a few pounds worth.

So you tell me, what drugs are OK to sell to kids, and which ones are not?You said the west should learn from China's policy, so I'm asking how you would design such a policy. Which drugs would you have the west list as illegal? Are you saying we should just adopt China's policy as written and enforced?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1276999 wrote: If their goverment says a drug is bad and you will be prosecuted or killed for having them or selling them its their country, their list, their rules learn them before you travel their and you will be fine. Break them and your in a world of you know what..So, just go with whatever the government decides. My questions go to what you've said about breaking laws and rules and for how your country would design and implement such laws.

China did what it did, I'm not arguing whether or not the guy broke their law, I'm asking if you would really like such a law here. I also disagree with most drug use.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Ahso!;1277004 wrote: You said the west should learn from China's policy, so I'm asking how you would design such a policy. Which drugs would you have the west list as illegal? Are you saying we should just adopt China's policy as written and enforced?

What I am saying is that I respect China’s laws, and believe that they have the right to enforce their laws.

If I was to go to China, I would understand that have the highest rate of executions in the world and therefore would most likely be more law abiding there than somewhere else where drug dealers are on every corner.

As far as the West goes, there is a seriously dangerous increase in the use of hard drugs and despite spending millions on trying to fight the battle, the battle is being lost.

All I am saying is that maybe the power that be should look at the policies in China to assess if they actually are effective or not in the war against drugs.
Barman

Post by Barman »

Scrat;1277018 wrote: Kudos to China. If you're going to play you better be ready to pay. I don't give a damn.

Seconded, justice was done.

Well done China.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I can honestly say YES it is a most effective way to get rid of "DRUG DEALERS" you deal you die pretty good deterrent in my book gets the point across without much effort. Might save the lives of many of our children.

[QUOTE]China did what it did, I'm not arguing whether or not the guy broke their law, I'm asking if you would really like such a law here. I also disagree with most drug use.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

[QUOTE=Jazzy;1276960]URUMQI, China -China brushed aside international appeals Tuesday and executed a British drug smuggler who relatives say was mentally unstable and unwittingly lured into crime.

Britain's prime minister quickly criticized the execution — China's first of a European citizen in nearly 60 years.

Sorry but If that Is China's law, so be It. Now come the excuses that he was not In his right mind or was duped.... same old excuses they use when caught in Thailand.

When you travel abroad, you are aware of their laws. If your not, then you should be.

Ask yourself this? What If the UK had the death Penalty and a Chinese man was caught smuggling in drugs here yet we released him after a plea from his family? The country would be in uproar.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

well done china

lets get this same punishment here in the uk

forget the beard and sandals do gooder brigade
Oscar Namechange

pantoandy;1277086 wrote: well done china

forget the beard and sandals do gooder brigade Well said that man. Happy new Year Andy :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

pantoandy;1277086 wrote: well done china

forget the beard and sandals do gooder brigade

At this time of year don't you think it's in bad taste to make fun of jesus? All males in his day had a beard and wore sandals and many find his do gooder message very appealing.

There was a time we went to war to force china to import opium you know.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1277104 wrote: At this time of year don't you think it's in bad taste to make fun of jesus? All males in his day had a beard and wore sandals and many find his do gooder message very appealing.

There was a time we went to war to force china to import opium you know.
Excuse me !!! ???? Where does Andy refer to Jesus? I thought he was talking about the Lib Dems and the Loony Lefties. Trust you to make an arguement out of nothing.

By the way.... Happy Hogmany Auld Yin.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmmm .......In the opening comment people with a mental illness were referred to as "scum" ......not good .

Politically speaking China just shot itseilf in the foot. Doesn't matter what trade, war, or criminal activity has happened between China and the rest of the world in the past. we are supposed to be in a new era of diplomacy and world trade contracts etc. China has been playing these games forever with the world, a hangover from days gone by. It's all very well for china to state (as they constantly do) "the world must understand us and our ways" .........well china is going to have to Understand and play the game witht he rest of the world as well if it wants to be part of the global political frame....

But then again, America executes the mentally ill on a regular basis. So they are not in a position to comment. Gordon Brown did not condemn Chinas' right to execute this man . He put down their system of not testing his mental stability and state. He was sickened that due process was not met. and is calling the execution a "killing".
Raven

Post by Raven »

oscar;1277084 wrote: [quote=Jazzy;1276960]URUMQI, China -China brushed aside international appeals Tuesday and executed a British drug smuggler who relatives say was mentally unstable and unwittingly lured into crime.

Sorry but If that Is China's law, so be It. Now come the excuses that he was not In his right mind or was duped.... same old excuses they use when caught in Thailand.

When you travel abroad, you are aware of their laws. If your not, then you should be.

Ask yourself this? What If the UK had the death Penalty and a Chinese man was caught smuggling in drugs here yet we released him after a plea from his family? The country would be in uproar.
But that is sort of what Britain did when they let the Lockerbie Bomber guy go. By the way....has he died yet? He was supposed to be on deaths door wasnt he?
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Raven

Post by Raven »

fuzzywuzzy;1277163 wrote: Hmmm .......In the opening comment people with a mental illness were referred to as "scum" ......not good .

Politically speaking China just shot itseilf in the foot. Doesn't matter what trade, war, or criminal activity has happened between China and the rest of the world in the past. we are supposed to be in a new era of diplomacy and world trade contracts etc. China has been playing these games forever with the world, a hangover from days gone by. It's all very well for china to state (as they constantly do) "the world must understand us and our ways" .........well china is going to have to Understand and play the game witht he rest of the world as well if it wants to be part of the global political frame....

But then again, America executes the mentally ill on a regular basis. So they are not in a position to comment. Gordon Brown did not condemn Chinas' right to execute this man . He put down their system of not testing his mental stability and state. He was sickened that due process was not met. and is calling the execution a "killing".
A country like Britain, where crime is rewarded with slack to none sentencing and victims pay the price (like the bloke who was jailed for beating the ba$tard who tied up his family) is a joke in the eyes of the rest of the world. Crime is punished accordingly in places like China, Middle East and America. But at least in America there is due process.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

fuzzywuzzy;1277163 wrote: Hmmm .......In the opening comment people with a mental illness were referred to as "scum" ......not good .

I kind of think that you have this reversed a bit. The fact is that the world is sucking up to China, not China sucking up to the world trying to become this global partner.

China has now, as always, only one interest. CHINA

They do not invade other countries; they do not become involved in wars outside their own borders, they stay to themselves and do their own thing and have done so pretty much since the great wall was built.

They are now simply profiting from the worlds insatiable need to access their market of 1.3 billion people.

China will do whatever China wants to do, and does not care what the world thinks. They have plenty of resources and most likely one of the strongest militaries in the world, and they will execute who they want, when they want, and no will or can tell them any different.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well that's interesting I didn't know his trial was only half an hour long. ......and then they sentenced him to death?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

China hasn't forgotten the Opium Wars. Probably Britain's worst ever crime. :-1

And I have little sympathy wth heroin smugglers. Whether I'm wearing sandals and a little extra hair or not.

BUT

I dislike the death penalty. It kills the innocent as well as the guilty. However, China's law is up to China.

I dislike the killing of the mentally ill.

This was not about the individual who died. He died solely because the Chinese Government wanted to make a point. This was China sticking two fingers up to Britain and telling us they haven't forgotten the Opium Wars.

Btw, hello all! Back with loaned pc after last one's video card dissolved and dribbled out the disc drive. :D Waiting for new year sales before looking for new one.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

to quote mikeine

They do not invade other countries; they do not become involved in wars outside their own borders, they stay to themselves and do their own thing and have done so pretty much since the great wall was built.

this is what britain should be doing now

by kicking out all illegal immigrants get out of the EU and bringing the troops home

this is what the BNP stand for

i hope one day it happens.
Oscar Namechange

pantoandy;1277392 wrote: to quote mikeine

this is what britain should be doing now

by kicking out all illegal immigrants get out of the EU and bringing the troops home

this is what the BNP stand for

i hope one day it happens.
Do you know? I have to admit to the odd smug snigger at some of the posts I see on forums. ( Not nessessarily here). People write posts that display their disgust at the BNP yet sooner or later a topic comes along where they will actually quote BNP policy as you have pointed out here Andy.

The best I saw was a new member who posted an Anti-BNP thread and then went on Into a diatribe of how benifit scroungers should be made to work free in the community and council houses taken from those who do not look after them. My chuckling could be heard well Into the night. A thread that showed disgust at the BNP, then naively quoting BNP policy :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Raven;1277180 wrote: A country like Britain, where crime is rewarded with slack to none sentencing and victims pay the price (like the bloke who was jailed for beating the ba$tard who tied up his family) is a joke in the eyes of the rest of the world. Crime is punished accordingly in places like China, Middle East and America. But at least in America there is due process. If anyone wants to see just how soft this country is then tune In late at night to Sky three and watch the American cop shows. Not the fictional one's, the one's like FBI files and The one with Paul Burnel. Then tune In to the British one's such as Traffic Cops or Zero Tolerance and the sentencing of similar crimes between us and the States is laughable.

There is a practice that China uses that I find quite abhorant where they use travelling death vans for convicted criminals. Due to the shortage of organ donors in China, a prisoner is given lethal Injection and then stripped of his organs.

China’s hi-tech ‘death van’ where criminals are executed and then their organs are sold on black market

A harrowing read. :mad:
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1277151 wrote: Excuse me !!! ???? Where does Andy refer to Jesus? I thought he was talking about the Lib Dems and the Loony Lefties. Trust you to make an arguement out of nothing.

By the way.... Happy Hogmany Auld Yin.

Beard and sandals-who else was he referring to but the first hippy?:-3
Barman

Post by Barman »

gmc;1277624 wrote: Beard and sandals-who else was he referring to but the first hippy?:-3

That describes 80 % of the population of Cornwall.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1277624 wrote: Beard and sandals-who else was he referring to but the first hippy?:-3
Then let the defence put the case... the accused did not say the name 'Jesus'. You do not have a confession and the descriptive term the accused used could be descriptive of any of your Looney Lefties today. :p

A very good article in the Mail today confirming what I believed I knew. Bi-Polar disorder affects mood not makes the sufferer incapable of making any Judgement. He knew exactly what he was doing In a country where they even display the warnings of drug smuggling in their airports. The Government expressing their disgust is embarressing. When In Rome etc etc. The Chinese do not Interfere in our Policies and laws and we should not start crying like babies because things haven't gone the way of the British. It actually pee's me off big time when there are cases like this and out come the lawyers claiming the culprit was duped or suffering from some mental un-balance. If you smuggle Heroin Into a country with the death penalty and get caught.... tough.

In the Mail today... The family are now up In arms because apparently they wanted a proper Muslim funeral and the Chinese authorities wouldn't let them. Well.... Bravo China !!!

Also in the Mail, whilst playing the mental Illness card, they wanted him let off the death penalty because he could have been duped.

And what about the lives he would have destroyed with that 18lb of Heroin he got aught with?

Return to “Crimes Trials”