Free after 35 years: DNA clears Florida inmate

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

BARTOW, Fla. -He'd insisted he was home watching TV with his twin sister but witnesses claimed he was the man who raped a 9-year-old boy, and he was sentenced to life in prison.

Decades later, with DNA technology able to exonerate him, James Bain was finally set free Thursday and used a cell phone for the first time. He called his elderly mother to tell her he was out after 35 years behind bars for a crime he did not commit.

As Bain walked out of the Polk County courthouse, wearing a black T-shirt that said "not guilty," he spoke of his deep faith and said he does not harbor any anger.

"No, I'm not angry," he said. "Because I've got God."

His wants are simple: fried chicken, Dr. Pepper and maybe going back to school.

The Innocence Project of Florida says the 54-year-old has spent longer behind bars than any of the other 245 inmates exonerated by DNA nationwide.

Full Story Link: Free after 35 years: DNA clears Florida inmate
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

And of course hes black. I'm happy he at least gets 1.75 million, but 35 years on false eye witness testimony. They should go get the eyewitness's and have them pay him something too. I suppose it would be up to him to go after them. He should.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Justice finally..!! DNA matching has changed the world hopefully those that are locked up and innocent will have DNA mapping on their side eventually.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Wonder how many innocent people have been executed for crimes they did not commit. So, where is the person who did commit this crime? No amount of money in the world (IMO) can make up for all the lost years this man has endured. I also think that inmates sitting on death row should all have their DNA tested again.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm sure that thre were some that were innocent that died no DNA matching back then. You right no amount of money can repay him the years. He is free now and looking back will do no good at all its time for him to live with the million they give him and enjoy every minute of it.

Who did it I suggest they question the eye witness again.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Post by spot »

Jazzy;1273945 wrote: I also think that inmates sitting on death row should all have their DNA tested again.

Against what, Jazzy? It's only a fortunate few who can get police evidence produced to test against after all this time, if there was anything capable of being stored to begin with.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

You don't see him as being luckier than other inmates who also didn't do what they were convicted of, but haven't had a lawyer prove it?

And how come he's gone from lowest of the lowlife to hero of the hour, in just a few days? He's exactly the same man now as he was a week ago, or a year ago, or a decade ago. How come people can switch their hatred on and off like a water tap?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1273891 wrote: BARTOW, Fla. -He'd insisted he was home watching TV with his twin sister but witnesses claimed he was the man who raped a 9-year-old boy, and he was sentenced to life in prison.

Decades later, with DNA technology able to exonerate him, James Bain was finally set free Thursday and used a cell phone for the first time. He called his elderly mother to tell her he was out after 35 years behind bars for a crime he did not commit.

As Bain walked out of the Polk County courthouse, wearing a black T-shirt that said "not guilty," he spoke of his deep faith and said he does not harbor any anger.

"No, I'm not angry," he said. "Because I've got God."

His wants are simple: fried chicken, Dr. Pepper and maybe going back to school.

The Innocence Project of Florida says the 54-year-old has spent longer behind bars than any of the other 245 inmates exonerated by DNA nationwide.

Full Story Link: Free after 35 years: DNA clears Florida inmate

some justice finally!:guitarist

35 years late, but better than life.
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1274014 wrote: some justice finally!:guitarist

35 years late, but better than life.

So how come people can switch their hatred on and off like a water tap?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

to me 35 years IS life
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1274027 wrote: to me 35 years IS life

and I'm sure if felt like it!:-5

luckily he's just in his fifties, he has time to start a new life.
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1274027 wrote: to me 35 years IS life

As a comparison, as far as I'm aware there are only two prisoners currently jailed in England and Wales who have served 35 years or more, and both of those are in a secure psychiatric unit. http://www.ianball.me.uk/ is written by one of them, just to give a flavour of what prison's done for him. Who on earth benefits from keeping Ian Ball locked up, for goodness sake? The other chap's tried for years to get judicial permission to kill himself. Other than those two, nobody here has served that long.

If anyone can provide a comparable figure for Australia, Canada or the US I'd be interested to see it.
whomeno

Post by whomeno »

this is the kinda news that makes me relived the cops already have my DNA on file :)

Wont come knocking down my door before finding evidence at least lol

I like the system we have that all criminals have to give a DNA sample no matter what the crime.

i remember my 21 birthday sitting home enjoying my whiskey.

And door bell rings and i,m like hmm wtf.

i open it and theres 8 cops behind it.:eek:

it appears someone robebbed a bank about 40 minute drive from my place and had a car of same brand as me but not even close to the color lol.
NO LINKS IN SIGNATURE IT HAS BEEN REMOVED
spot

Post by spot »

Scrat;1274185 wrote: Emotions are like that spot.

No... some people allow their emotions to degrade to that extent, perhaps.
Odie

Post by Odie »

whomeno;1274058 wrote: this is the kinda news that makes me relived the cops already have my DNA on file :)

Wont come knocking down my door before finding evidence at least lol

I like the system we have that all criminals have to give a DNA sample no matter what the crime.

i remember my 21 birthday sitting home enjoying my whiskey.

And door bell rings and i,m like hmm wtf.

i open it and theres 8 cops behind it.:eek:

it appears someone robebbed a bank about 40 minute drive from my place and had a car of same brand as me but not even close to the color lol.

geez, that must have been a bad day for you!:yh_rotfl

Return to “Crimes Trials”