Farcical Legal Decision

Bryn Mawr

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A court in London has just ruled that a doctor cannot legally park on his own land without paying a parking fee to the local council.

The basis of the judgement was that, whilst he owns the land, he does not own the tarmac on top of it.

Surely, this goes against every principle of land law in the book?

I see an appeal coming on!
Snowfire

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by Snowfire »

Technically the law is in favour of the council but where's the natural justice here ?

Its outragous that Camden Council have persued the matter, obviously for financial reasons rather than any road safety/parking issues.

I don't think I could have contained my rage at such stupidity
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
kazalala

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by kazalala »

well who put the tarmac there? did they get permission from the landowner?:sneaky: He should have the tarmac removed :wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
AussiePam

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by AussiePam »

Interesting, Bryn. Camden!

BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Parking on private land is banned
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1268124 wrote: A court in London has just ruled that a doctor cannot legally park on his own land without paying a parking fee to the local council.

The basis of the judgement was that, whilst he owns the land, he does not own the tarmac on top of it.

Surely, this goes against every principle of land law in the book?

I see an appeal coming on! Do you have a link for the story?

I don't get It. We live In a private lane that technically is owned by the residents. After a woman smashed Into our car as It was stationery In our drive and left the scene of the accident, the Investigating Officer was extremely frustrated that he could not prosecute her for leaving the scene as the lane being private did not come under The Road Traffic Act and he had no power. This is why I can't make this one out.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Farcical Legal Decision

AussiePam;1268136 wrote: Interesting, Bryn. Camden!

BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Parking on private land is banned Ahhh I see now.... It was parked on a pavement... that explains it all.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by Snowfire »

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
yaaarrrgg

Farcical Legal Decision

Post by yaaarrrgg »

That does seem silly. Of course, I have a relative who lives on a very small street that is not considered part of the city or country. It's more like a big driveway. It's up to the residents to maintain. Last time I drove on it, it was full of potholes and in horrible condition. The residents were expected to pool money together and fix it with a private contractor, but that's seemed to have stalled. Either way, it will cost someone money to maintain pavement.
Oscar Namechange

Farcical Legal Decision

yaaarrrgg;1268199 wrote: That does seem silly. Of course, I have a relative who lives on a very small street that is not considered part of the city or country. It's more like a big driveway. It's up to the residents to maintain. Last time I drove on it, it was full of potholes and in horrible condition. The residents were expected to pool money together and fix it with a private contractor, but that's seemed to have stalled. Either way, it will cost someone money to maintain pavement. Very similar to my lane. It was full of potholes but I kicked up a stink and got them done by the council although the council don't own the lane. ( It's complicated). We have no street lighting what so ever and fields outside the house. It costs us big time in power for motion sensor floodlighting at night and outside lights.

Return to “Crimes Trials”