Texas shootings

K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

I'm going to put this in crimes and trials for obvious reasons!

I have no television with sound so does anyone know if these shootings have ceased?

Would it be too optimistic to hope this ungodly act is resolved without anymore killed or wounded?

Anyone know what's going on?
Mustang

Texas shootings

Post by Mustang »

Swat teams were just called in to surround the building.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns ... nd_courts/
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder wrote: Anyone know what's going on?Fundamentalist Islamic Middle Easterners have invaded the US Homeland?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1259732 wrote: Fundamentalist Islamic Middle Easterners have invaded the US Homeland?

From Mustangs article it appears as though these shooters were "American". Whether they're "Fundamentalist Islamic Middle Easterners" is unclear.

I had no idea this story was hours old, I was told it happened minutes ago.
Mustang

Texas shootings

Post by Mustang »

updated 7 minutes ago

At least one U.S. soldier opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing at least 11 people and wounding 31 others, military officials said.

Army: 12 dead, 31 wounded at Fort Hood - Crime & courts- msnbc.com
ZAP

Texas shootings

Post by ZAP »

Update just now said "12 dead, 31 injured." One gunman was shot & killed, 2 others in custody.
Mustang

Texas shootings

Post by Mustang »

Zapata;1259790 wrote: Update just now said "12 dead, 31 injured." One gunman was shot & killed, 2 others in custody.

12 of the 31 injured are critical and they expect the death toll to rise.

This started at 1:30CT.

The FBI is helping in the investigation.
flopstock

Texas shootings

Post by flopstock »

wire feed

By APRIL CASTRO and DEVLIN BARRETT=

^Associated Press Writers=

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A soldier opened fire at a U.S. Army base in Fort Hood, Texas on Thursday, unleashing a stream of gunfire that left 12 people dead and 31 wounded. Authorities killed the gunman, and apprehended two other soldiers suspected in what appears to be the worst mass shooting at a U.S. military base.

The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said at a news conference. He said all the casualties took place at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening.

``It's a terrible tragedy. It's stunning,'' Cone said.

A law enforcement official identified the shooting suspect as Army Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan. The official said Hasan, believed to be in his late 30s, was killed after opening fire at the base. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The official says investigators are trying to determine if Hasan was his birth name, or if he changed his name and converted to Islam at some point in his life.

Cone said the soldier used two handguns in the attack. It was not clear if the gunman had stopped to reload.

A graduation ceremony for soldiers who finished college courses while deployed was going on in an auditorium at the Readiness Center at the time of the shooting, said Sgt. Rebekah Lampam, a Fort Hood spokeswoman.

Greg Schanepp, U.S. Rep. John Carter's regional director in Texas, was representing Carter at the graduation, said John Stone, a spokesman for Carter, whose district includes the Army post.

Schanepp was at the ceremony when a soldier who had been shot in the back came running toward him and alerted him of the shooting, Stone said. The soldier told Schanepp not to go in the direction of the shooter, he said. Stone said he believes Schanepp was in the theater.

The base was locked down after the shootings. The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said.

The shootings on the Texas military base stirred memories of other recent mass shootings in the United States, including 13 dead at a New York immigrant center in March, 10 killed during a gunman's rampage across Alabama in March and 32 killed in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.

``The bottom line for us is that we are increasing security at our gates because the threat hasn't yet been defined, and we're reminding our Marines to be vigilant in their areas of responsibility,'' said Capt. Rob Dolan, public affairs officer for the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz.

In Washington, President Barack Obama called the shooting ``a horrific outburst of violence.'' He said it's a tragedy to lose a soldier overseas and even more horrifying when they come under fire at an Army base on American soil.

``We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident,'' the commander in chief said. ``We are going to stay on this.''

Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, the sprawling base is located halfway between Austin and Waco.

About a mile from Fort Hood's east gate, Cynthia Thomas, director of Under the Hood Cafe, a local coffee shop and nonprofit military support center, has been calling soldiers and friends on the post to make sure they're OK.

``It's chaotic,'' Thomas said, as a SWAT team just drove by. ``They're just saying that they're under attack they don't know what's going on. ... The phones are jammed. Everybody is calling family members and friends. Soldiers are running around with M-16s.''

Fort Hood officially opened on Sept. 18, 1942, and was named in honor of Gen. John Bell Hood. It has been continuously used for armored training and is charged with maintaining readiness for combat missions.

———

AP National Security Writer Anne Gearan and Associated Press writers Suzanne Gamboa, Lolita C. Baldor and Devlin Barrett in Washington, D.C., and Associated Press Writer Jay Root in Fort Worth, Associated Press Writers Linda Stewart Ball, Anabelle Garay and Andre Coe in Dallas contributed to this report.

I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Kathy Ellen

Texas shootings

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks for posting this Kev.....I'm just listening to it now:mad:

What a tragedy:-1
dubs

Texas shootings

Post by dubs »

It's terrible. Those soldiers knew of the risks of being deployed overseas, but for that to happen on home ground is awful. I'm reading on Sky news, that Ft Hood is also a centre for traumatised soldiers coming home, maybe they'll take a long hard look at that in light of events.

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

If the American Armed Forces have the slightest sense they'll debar every US Muslim from serving henceforth. One can't go around the world deliberately killing Muslims, fundamentalist or otherwise, in large numbers and not expect a domestic backlash from their livid stressed-out co-religionists. The last thing the military should do is to arm them and then give them free entry to its military bases.

Or, of course, one could stop going around the world deliberately killing Muslims in large numbers. Either way works.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

(CNN) -- A solider suspected of fatally shooting 12 and wounding 31 at Fort Hood in Texas on Thursday is not dead as previously reported, Army Lt. Gen. Robert Cone said Thursday evening.

Officials: Fort Hood shootings suspect alive; 12 dead - CNN.com
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1259934 wrote:

Officials: Fort Hood shootings suspect alive; 12 dead - CNN.com

Oddly enough killing this piece of scum would be the most compassionate thing anyone can do. This person will be tormented for the rest of his life in a United States prison.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1259936 wrote: Oddly enough killing this piece of scum would be the most compassionate thing anyone can do. This person will be tormented for the rest of his life in a United States prison.

Do United States prisons not have a duty of care for the safety of their inmates then?
flopstock

Texas shootings

Post by flopstock »

What a jackass.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Odie

Texas shootings

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1259936 wrote: Oddly enough killing this piece of scum would be the most compassionate thing anyone can do. This person will be tormented for the rest of his life in a United States prison.

he'll plead unfit.....and be sent to a mental health centre.:rolleyes:

most do.........and, it works.:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1259993 wrote: Do United States prisons not have a duty of care for the safety of their inmates then?

:wah: The law states that none of US prisoners should be harmed.

It's the other inmates that will "punish" this person.

Prisons not receiving enough money to house these prisoners in individual cells where they get their own tv, 3 meals a day, basketball courts etc,..etc...

I'm not crying my eyes out because of it.

Would be cheaper to blow their brains out with ice bullets...
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1260238 wrote:

Would be cheaper to blow their brains out with ice bullets...

Scratch that...

Would be cheaper to go back to the guillotine!
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1260238 wrote: :wah: The law states that none of US prisoners should be harmed.

It's the other inmates that will "punish" this person. Why did you put "punish" in quotes?

If United States prisons have a duty of care for the safety of their inmates, surely that includes actively preventing harm by other inmates. Maybe they don't have such a duty of care.
hoppy

Texas shootings

Post by hoppy »

spot;1260246 wrote: Why did you put "punish" in quotes?

If United States prisons have a duty of care for the safety of their inmates, surely that includes actively preventing harm by other inmates. Maybe they don't have such a duty of care.

You sound like your getting a kick out of the whole thing.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

hoppy;1260251 wrote: You sound like your getting a kick out of the whole thing.

I didn't take the thread in this direction but I do think I'm permitted to ask questions about existing posts. By all means stick to the core topic, I've posted on that too and I've not seen anyone taking up my suggestion yet. Would you like to? They're rational comments.
hoppy

Texas shootings

Post by hoppy »

spot;1260252 wrote: I didn't take the thread in this direction but I do think I'm permitted to ask questions about existing posts. By all means stick to the core topic, I've posted on that too and I've not seen anyone taking up my suggestion yet. Would you like to? They're rational comments.

Yadayadayada....
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

hoppy;1260253 wrote: Yadayadayada....

That, dear boy, is a cop-out. Are you claiming this isn't a domestic backlash from a livid stressed-out co-religionist? "The base commander at Fort Hood says soldiers who witnessed a shooting rampage that left 13 people dead reported that the gunman shouted 'Allahu Akbar!' before opening fire at the Texas post."
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260246 wrote: Why did you put "punish" in quotes?

They do their jobs just like the military grunts you'd expect to.

I put "punish" in quotation marks because It's not me being the one doing the "punishing" at the suggestion that "punishment" in general is always derived by ones own justification which is left up to opinion. I wouldn't suggest torture in the least.

I'm for crime prevention.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

It's not like one too many inmates doesn't get off on physical aggression.
YZGI

Texas shootings

Post by YZGI »

spot;1260252 wrote: I didn't take the thread in this direction but I do think I'm permitted to ask questions about existing posts. By all means stick to the core topic, I've posted on that too and I've not seen anyone taking up my suggestion yet. Would you like to? They're rational comments.
Do you think suicde bombs and mass shooting will help their cause?
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

YZGI;1260289 wrote: Do you think suicde bombs and mass shooting will help their cause?

Who's "they"? The thread's about Muslims in the US Armed Forces and whether they can retain the trust of their fellow recruits, and one Major in particular who seems to have snapped under the strain.

There are quite a few "they"s. The very few long-term hard-core Islamic fundamentalists wanted to radicalise the average Muslim and to do that they needed an external enemy killing Muslims in large numbers. They goaded the US, and the previous US Administration obligingly rolled on its back and did exactly what "they" wanted. "They" provided the Pearl Harbor excuse and the Bush Administration grasped it with both hands and felt like it had won the lottery.

"They" that are the consequently radicalised Muslims in the Middle East want the foreign "liberators" to go home. They join the resistance, just as the Norwegians and French and Greeks did when they were occupied by foreign troops. It's nationalism, it's patriotic, it's defending the Homeland, it's exactly what any red-blooded American would do in similar circumstances. How you people can disrespect them baffles me. Engaging in asymmetrical tactics is the only option any guerilla force has. It rarely fails to succeed in the long term. It has no air cover, it has pitiable weaponry, it retains the field when the "liberators" call it a day and it forms the new government. It remains radicalised for a long time afterwards.

As for the American "they" that the thread's about, it's catastrophic. They're in the position that the second generation American Japanese were at the start of World War Two. Some proportion of their cohort mistrusts them regardless of their personal allegiance to the Stars and Stripes. Some significant proportion of them are conflicted anyhow at the political direction the US has taken. What can they possibly do to retain the trust of everyone they serve with, given the prejudice they see around them? I don't think they can do it. I think they'll remain stressed. How many of them will snap the way the Major snapped is something nobody can guess.

What doesn't help is people saying their cause is the destruction of the US, it never was and never could be. It comes down to self-determination, whether it's Iran or Iraq or Afghanistan or Pakistan or Palestine. That's the root problem. Evicting the Ba'athists or the Taliban by force from government is the root problem. Interference in the internal affairs of other countries is the root problem. This mass shooting within the US Homeland is merely a direct consequence.
Oscar Namechange

Texas shootings

Post by Oscar Namechange »

hoppy;1260251 wrote: You sound like your getting a kick out of the whole thing.
I've read all their is available over this and I think The Daily Mail has done the best anaylisis.

Fort Hood shootings: Army major Nidal Malik Hasan kills 12 and injures 31 in shootout with troops at army base | Mail Online

It's lengthy but gives most of the facts.

It seems 6 months prior to this tragic day, officials had already expressed concerns about the assassin and yes, Spot, I choose the word assassin specifically.

I do not believe this was one man who went nuts and let fire. He had repeatedly expressed his support when US and British troops were killed. This is nothing short than an act of deliberate Terrorism and needs to be treated as such.

My heartiest congratualtions go to the US woman Officer who shot the bastard.

Our thoughts are with the US , the victems and their families.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1260327 wrote: I've read all their is available over this and I think The Daily Mail has done the best anaylisis.

Fort Hood shootings: Army major Nidal Malik Hasan kills 12 and injures 31 in shootout with troops at army base | Mail Online

It's lengthy but gives most of the facts.

It seems 6 months prior to this tragic day, officials had already expressed concerns about the assassin and yes, Spot, I choose the word assassin specifically.

I do not believe this was one man who went nuts and let fire. He had repeatedly expressed his support when US and British troops were killed. This is nothing short than an act of deliberate Terrorism and needs to be treated as such.

My heartiest congratualtions go to the US woman Officer who shot the bastard.

Our thoughts are with the US , the victems and their families.

He'll be put to death
Odie

Texas shootings

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1260333 wrote: He'll be put to death

thank god it happened in Texas!:D
hoppy

Texas shootings

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1260347 wrote: thank god it happened in Texas!:D

:confused:
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

Odie;1260347 wrote: thank god it happened in Texas!:D

I think it's more a matter of it having happened under Army jurisdiction, Odie. The Army can impose capital punishment through their own court system regardless of where in the world the offence happened. There's no appeal to the State Governor either.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

hoppy;1260355 wrote: :confused:

Her comment was in regards to the fact the event had already taken place with the implication she might not object to the death penalty specifically.

You're not familiar with "time" travel?

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/paran ... esign.html
chonsigirl

Texas shootings

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, spot, it will be tried in a military court.
Odie

Texas shootings

Post by Odie »

spot;1260356 wrote: I think it's more a matter of it having happened under Army jurisdiction, Odie. The Army can impose capital punishment through their own court system regardless of where in the world the offence happened. There's no appeal to the State Governor either.

What I meant was in Texas, they don't put up with any crap.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

Odie;1260369 wrote: What I meant was in Texas, they don't put up with any crap.

That's good then Odie. Where in the world does the US Army put up with crap, then?
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260373 wrote: That's good then Odie. Where in the world *does* the US Army put up with crap, then?

Anywhere they're not!
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1260374 wrote: Anywhere they're not!

That excludes most countries in the world then. Or maybe I'm including the Marines in that.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260375 wrote: That excludes most countries in the world then. Or maybe I'm including the Marines in that.

:wah:
Odie

Texas shootings

Post by Odie »

spot;1260373 wrote: That's good then Odie. Where in the world does the US Army put up with crap, then?

no idea Spot, but in Texas, you really really have to watch everything you do.;)
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

Odie;1260382 wrote: no idea Spot, but in Texas, you really really have to watch everything you do.;)

I'm not sure what that means, Odie. http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm says that Texas has the tenth highest rate of all reported crimes out of the 51 states, it strikes me as rather more criminal-friendly than most of the country. Or are you suggesting their clear-up rate for detected crimes shows a magnificent record compared to elsewhere?
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260390 wrote: I'm not sure what that means, Odie. Texas Crime Rates 1960 - 2008 says that Texas has the tenth highest rate of all reported crimes out of the 51 states, it strikes me as rather more criminal-friendly than most of the country. Or are you suggesting their clear-up rate for detected crimes shows a magnificent record compared to elsewhere?

You'd have to compare the percentages relative to the population of each state, spot, for that to even be remotely relevant.

Texas being the tenth highest in crime compared to having over 14,000,000 more people(Are we seriously going to suggest Texas doesn't house millions of illegal immigrants?) than the tenth most populated state in America.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1260393 wrote: You'd have to compare the percentages relative to the population of each state, spot, for that to even be remotely relevant. I did, Snyder, I did. That's why I used the word "rate" instead of "number". You could always check the referenced page to see before you jump next time.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260397 wrote: I did, Snyder, I did. That's why I used the word "rate". You could always check the reference page to see before you jump next time.

I suppose I'd read "criminal-friendly" in the wrong context.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1260399 wrote: I suppose I'd read "criminal-friendly" in the wrong context.Given that what happened was on an Army base, it scarcely matters.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260400 wrote: Given that what happened was on an Army base, it scarcely matters.

We could use the Earth's murder rate and suggest Earth is more violent than Mars!

:thinking:...

So to speak.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1260401 wrote: We could use the Earth's murder rate and suggest Earth is more violent than Mars!

Mars doesn't have a murder rate, it would be mathematically indeterminable. Zero divided by zero is incalculable.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260405 wrote: Mars doesn't have a murder rate, it would be mathematically indeterminable. Zero divided by zero is incalculable.

:thinking:...There could be algae on Mars consuming other algae.
spot

Texas shootings

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1260406 wrote: :thinking:...There could be algae on Mars consuming other algae.

Killers of algae get executed in Texas???

The sooner they secede from the Union the better, that's all I can say.
K.Snyder

Texas shootings

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1260408 wrote: Killers of algae get executed in Texas???

The sooner they secede from the Union the better, that's all I can say.

Then they would have little police hats and batons and whatnot!

Return to “Crimes Trials”