addielins the A.A grumpy column

pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

hi de hi and welcome to another grumpy column.

ive always said that prisons are like holiday camps so we head over the border to scotland this one being for scottish prisoners care to comment GMC ??????

A CUSHY new jail which offers lags flatscreen TVs in plush cells has been slammed — for ENCOURAGING people to offend.

Politicians have blasted Scotland’s newest prison for giving cons more luxuries than many honest members of society.

Cells in HMP Addiewell in West Lothian have EN SUITE toilet and shower rooms, 15in flatscreens with inbuilt FREEVIEW, and adjustable AIR CONDITIONING.

Some wings even offer fully subscribed Sky Sports and Setanta packages so inmates can relax watching the footie.

Bosses have decided to give cons four visits a month — DOUBLE what they legally have to. And lags will have access to a spacious gym, modern “fitness suite”, fully-stocked library — and hi-tech computer room.

Last night Tory justice spokesman Bill Aitken hit out at the “level of comfort”.

He said: “I do not wish prisoners to live in Dickensian squalor, but there does come a time when the level of comfort does not provide any real deterrent to offending.

He added: “There are many people who might think that in these times of financial hardship, prisoners are getting a chance to live in conditions not available to the poorer, law-abiding sections of our society.”

Addiewell’s 12 wings even have “electronic kiosks” so cons can browse menus, and order items from the canteen. But governor Audrey Park says the hi-tech prison is just keeping up with the times.

She said: “I would describe the cells as decent cells for a 21st-century Scotland. At the end of the day, any prison cell is a concrete box shut at night.

“The punishment is losing one’s liberty. I’m aware we’ll always be under scrutiny and there’s no point in whingeing.

“We’re geared up for an interesting time in that respect.” The jail, Scotland’s second private nick, took in its first consignment of prisoners on December 12. It can hold up to 796 all-risk lags in two blocks with three wings, and has disabled facilities.

Operator Kalyx had to decontaminate the site before building started two years ago, as it was once thought to be an oil refinery. It will create 350 jobs in West Lothian, with 160 of those prison officers.

Lags’ days comprise an hour outside exercise, three at work or education, and over five hours of activities or recreation.

Let us in | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

AAG

this nick hasnt been open long yet it was back in todays scottish sun as the most dangerous place for assults on prisoners and staff and rioting yet the facilities are like a hotel .http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... 411991.ece

but this is what its like with private sector prisons prisons run for profit the officers warders screws whatever you want to call them are just basicly security guards underpaid and undertrained and abused by cons who are there as punishment.

christ i cant even afford a flatscreen television or playstation i think the next column will be coming from inside some nick thieves are better off inside prison

than outside in the real world working for a living like i do .

i think its time to join the nightshift ho hum wheres me swag bag mask and jemmy

the grumps
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

I think that prisoners should be given as many cakes and pies as they can eat. Take away the gyms and exercise yards, let them loaf around watching telly all day feasting on trans fats and sugary drinks. After all who wants fit crims coming out of the nick. No they should be kept in till they at least double their cholesterol levels or even better their body weight. Try fitting through a window then or running from the law. Nope, be gone boot camps and bring on the room service and cream cakes with lashings of refined sugars. Their uniforms should have elasticated waists so they don't notice as well, or the sentence should carry a minimum waist size before release..........:yh_pig:yh_pig
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's irrelevent really that this is happening in Scotland as it's pretty standard in all our prisons.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Over here we refer to that kind of prison as Club Fed. Probs where Bernie Madoff is going.:-5
gmc

Post by gmc »

‘I have to say that I am fundamentally opposed both in principle to the privatisation of the Prison Service and indeed in practice...I believe people who are sentenced by the state to imprisonment should be deprived of their liberty, kept under lock and key by those who are accountable primarily and solely to the state…I also believe there are two additional objections…there is a danger that if you build up an industrial vested interest into the penal system, and as part of that interest they are designed obviously to keep the prison population such that it satisfies those commercial interests… there is a risk that that distorts the penal policy that otherwise you would introduce...‘Secondly, I believe that privatisation is a diversion of our energies from where those energies should be properly set.’ Tony Blair MP

1993 1

‘This is surely one area where a free market certainly does not exist... at

the expiry of their contracts a Labour government will bring these prisons

into proper public control and run them directly as public services.’ Jack Straw MP 1995 2 ‘

http://www.scccj.org.uk/documents/Priso ... otland.pdf

Addiewell is a private prison opened in 2008. God bless new labour and their consistent adherence to principles. I would not defend addiewell in any way. The whole PFI progamme is a massive rip off and having private prisons is fundamentally a bad idea-in that I agree with Tony Blair. The lying hypocritical two faced piece of **** and I'm not too impressed by his successor either.

GORDON IS A MORON
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

pantoandy;1183890 wrote: .. governor Audrey Park says “The punishment is losing one’s liberty

Quite. It should be, generally, at any rate. When *convicted* offenders (as opposed to those on remand) have facilities better than the average person's, and retain the liberty to use them, then in my opinion something's the matter. So, they can't go out, poor darlings. They can loaf around or go to the gym, do free courses, watch expensive TV channels on expensive TVs, and order food to be delivered. Isn't being sent to prison supposed to be a punishment?

Return to “Crimes Trials”